Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time Gender Issues (READ OP BEFORE POSTING)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Tavistock is nothing more than a clinic experimenting on vulnerable children no children from here or elsewhere should be sent there for any reason,

Autism generally brings with it obsessive behaviour so claiming that your in the wrong body isn't necessary going to be fixed with puberty blockers or drastic surgeries to alter gender,they obsession and compulsive behaviour will still be there,there should be some protection for people against themselves rather than being told yes your in the wrong body here sign here and we will surgically change your gender, autism mixed with depression and other mental health disorders need.to treated first and foremost,

I've noticed more and more girl's claiming to be trans non-binary where it can change day to day what gender they are and people are expected to bend to their whims ,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I think they were being sarcastic

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Yeah, because autists are well know to have easily changeable minds. 🙄

And autistic people are well known for their slavish devotion to what's trendy. They're always in the latest styles straight off the catwalk.

There's a higher proportion of gay people in the autistic community. Are you saying that those gay people were convinced by others that they are gay? Are gay people going around and targeting autistic teens to make them gay? No, of course they're not. Are gay autistic teens deciding that they like being rogered because it's trendy?

There's a higher amount of LGBT people in the autistic community. No-one is quite sure why. the two things have a link. But claiming that they are like that because autistic people are easily influenced by trends and would change sexuality or gender on a whim is just plain ridiculous. It's also disgustingly ablest. It removes all ability to make rational decisions from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

How man children under 18 years old have had gender reassignment surgery in this country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

And this means what for every other child?

Stop projecting.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not really no. There's a lot more to treatment way before surgery.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Nobody is suggesting removing the Ovaries of 7 year olds though, you are creating a nonsense hypothetical situation that never happens.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,772 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

When I was a kid I wanted to be a dinosaur. Thank fk dinosaur reassignment surgery doesnt exist, I'd be looking fairly stupid now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

But they are suggesting that said girl should have her identity affirmed, and be socially transitioned. No questioning, no exploratory therapy, just affirmation. Groomed into believing she actually is a boy. Which will lead to medical interventions.

It's child abuse.

Plain and simple.

Child abuse.

• Advertisement

So when a child says something and someone agrees with them, it's grooming. You do realise that grooming is convincing someone of something.

When people agree with you are they grooming you?

And also, can we stop using the word grooming. Grooming is used when a sexual predator is convincing a child to engage in sexual activities. It's not when someone says it's ok if you're trans or gay and I'll accept you for who you are. It's not saying "I'll use whatever pronouns you want me to use".

Who is this mysterious "they" - All guidance on young children claiming they are trans suggests getting advice from medical practitioners.

And also no its not "grooming" because there is sexual abuse of children taking place.

Terry Pratchet

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It does seem like a phase at the moment for vulnerable teenage girls.

You clearly don't welcome diversity though if you are so insistent that trans children don't exist

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

One the girls say they are a boy that's grand.

But once they want hormones and puberty blockers - this must be a nightmare for their parents knowing that it's just a phase that will pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Heraclius

How is your opinion quiet when you have so many comments in the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,415 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There was zero balance in the show. No mention of the harms done to the much larger majority of trans kids and adults by NOT having access to services. No mention of the years of delay on the waiting lists for services. No mention of how rare 'regret' is for those who have gone through surgery.

It was a fairly classic hit piece.

None, according to the summary of treatments given on Prime Time.

How would the parents know that it's 'just a phase'?

By 'bending to their whims', I presume you mean addressing them as they ask to be addressed, right? That's pretty much all you have to do. They're not asking you to climb Carrauntoohil or anything - just show a little bit of human respect and dignity.

This 'can change day to day' is a figment of your imagination, but you knew that, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭daheff

this attitude by the pro-gender "care" activist is just nuts. They are probably doing it for financial gain (somehow).

If i walked into a hospital and told them i wanted them to remove my arms because i didnt want them, they would admit me to a psychiatric unit, not perform the surgery.

So why are they performing mutilations of kids because they are think they are a different gender? It baffles me how any doctor is doing this. Isnt one of their mantras "Do no harm"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭timmyntc

How would the parents know that it's 'just a phase'?

They could guess and would be right in majority of cases.

Research shows that gender dysmorphia in teens resolves itself without treatment in the vast majority of cases - i.e. its just a phase.

• Advertisement

Where and when have there been doctors "performing mutilations of kids because they are think they are a different gender"?

This seems to be a figment of your imagination.

For years being gay was treated as a mental illness.

We're getting a better understanding of these things now. We understand that sexuality isn't binary.

The same goes for gender.

And I understand why people find it hard to understand. I found it hard to understand. I still don't completely understand it. The idea of being trans is completely alien to me. I don't understand what it's like. I don't understand what they feel. In my head it's weird. But to fair I don't know what it's like to be gay. I'm straight. The idea of wanting to have a sexual experience with a guy is alien to me. The only way I can align it in my head is to say they feel the same about men that I feel about women. But my own feeling of my gender is so innate that I have trouble imagining what it's like to not have it.

But I've learned that i don't need to understand it. Trans people exist. They are real people. They have genuine authentic experiences. And it's backed up by the vast majority of the medical establishment. We just need to accept that they are the way they are.

btw, no-one is mutilating children. The road to medically transitioning is long. There's a lot of checks before they reach that point. can this be improved? definitely. They may be some occasions where extra time is needed, and occasions when less time is needed. So we should be investing more money into research and treatment, both counselling and medical treatments. Banning it is just wrong. It's been proven over and over again that when society accepts trans people, they have a far better quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

I thought the program was pretty good. They asked TENI to take part but they refused.

Very few children would have received surgical intervention here. The concern is mainly around puberty blockers and cross sex hormone treatment. Initially it was claimed that blockers are reversible and their purpose was to provide a waiting space for children to question their identity, but the stats show that almost everyone who goes on puberty blockers goes on to receive hormone treatment later. There's scant evidence that they are actually reversible as well. The usage is "off label" and the manufacturers apparently don't want to conduct trials to study their effects.

What I find amazing about all this, is that the origin of this mode of treatment is the so-called "Dutch Protocol" which required patients to be heavily screened for suitability, and which afaik, is what the two doctors on the program advocate. So, why then is the HSE ignoring their advice? What other branch of medicine does this happen? I don't think any other branch of medicine is so heavily influenced by non-medically qualified activists.

Terry Pratchet

Gender "dysmorphia" doesn't exist.

Perhaps you meant research on Gender dysphoria. What is this research? Links?

Terry Pratchet

Oh well that's interesting the stats you quote show there is a medical pathway that people choose to continue to go down. This suggests then that hormone blockers work as intended in that case.

Terry Pratchet

Would you like to share your research please?

Should we bring 'parents guesses' into all other medical treatment scenarios? Let's see if parents can make guesses about cardiac issues, meningitis, sepsis, query limb fractures, autism, depression - we can hold off on all treatments for these so, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

What people "choose" isn't always in their best interests. That's really the whole point they are making.

• Advertisement

Why? Who are you to decide its not in the best interests of someone to make their own decisions about their own life?

Research from Australia , Spain, Netherlands, UK, US all demonstrates a low level of desistance - for trans adolescents it’s only around 2%

Trans healthcare/social transition doesn’t harm trans kids.

Denying them does.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement