Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time Gender Issues (READ OP BEFORE POSTING)

Options
  • 14-12-2023 11:06pm

Waiting list in Tavistock for transition detailed on Prime Time

Mod note - discuss the topic civilly and in good faith or don't post.

Referring to trans people as mentally ill or men in dresses will mean a threadban at the very least

Threadbans

Theboinkmaster

Cyrus

Hamsterchops

L.Ball

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

There’s issues being mentioned on Prime Time, what are people’s views on this program. To me it elucidates issues concerning people who have received surgical intervention too soon.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

The person arguing for the gender-affirming model wondered why there was a need for psychosexual history prior to gender reassignment surgery when there was no need for such history for, say, appendicectomy.

Suggesting that questions regarding the connection between a person's psychology and biology are irrelevant when the organs involved are actually sexual organs is just bizarre.

Interesting insight into such thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Big claim there for any child sent to the Tory NHS for treatment.

Quite extraordinary.

Is her organisation funded by the State?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

"We take a person at their word at a given point in time" is what the pro gender affirming care activist said.

Using that kind of logic does that mean psychiatrists should be handing out shotguns to every suicidal person who comes in to talk to them?

A lot of young people (not all) going through confusion about their gender identity are going through a phase they will eventually get through, they don't need to be shipped off for surgery .For some people surgical intervention is the only solution but for a lot it isn't. Problem is with the activists they don't want to hear this. I think having any type of gender reassignment surgery on non adults (and before people try to gaslight me this has happened) is just wrong and shouldn't be allowed.

• Advertisement

Re appendectomy or gallbladder, a surgeon does not take a patient’s word at any given time that this is the most appropriate intervention . Who is is charge here? Politicians/polticics?

Considering it’s so difficult to get a basic neuro exam it’s a travesty

When I was a young child I insisted I was like a boy, guns from Santa, engineering toys, hated shirts hated girly stuff, hated dolls, utter tomboy.. guess what… ended up looovung males… just plain engineering loving gal… full female… females love STEM!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Sorry. This entire thread is transphobic. Can't believe it hasn't been locked yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

I would prefer if they spent time discussing the incoming use of AI by law enforcement.

This other stuff is yet another distraction

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

If my 7 yr old daughter told me she wanted to tattoo her whole face I'd tell her wait til your 18 and you can do whatever you want. If she came and told me she wants to be a boy and wants her ovaries removed and be pumped full of testosterone I'd tell her wait til she is 18.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,033 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Didn't see the full programme, but don't see how an adult can take the NHS to court for allowing their surgery to happen, when they realise after the op they made the wrong decision.

You're an adult, your choice.

If they hadn't been allowed the op, they would have sued the NHS too.

When I was a chiseler wanted to be a boy, how I wanted to be a boy!!! Yep, until I wanted to be a gal admiring boys!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I could not believe what i was watching total 180 on the usual stuff

children on the spectrum will sleep safer in their beds tonight

The prevelance of teenage girls saying they are boys is quite a bizarre recent trend.

Any explanation for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I thought both the programme and this thread are a complete breath of fresh air and how dare the HSE treat such respected medical people so badly - they have the true welfare of the children at heart and it’s about bloody time that that TENI organisation gets a good kick up the hole because theyve done far more harm than good to those children

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Medical intervention should only be for rare cases. And not on children. But for some reason it's being normalised. It's like normalising FGM. Also, there is money to be made. Lots of money.

For someone who really feels they need to go this route. That's fine. But they should be relatively sane, lucid and an adult. They should be aware of the costs and risks they are putting themselves and the tax payer under.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

You would have got banned on boards for saying that not so long ago - thank Christ the world has changed

I would have been one of these, quite honestly I would, even though I fancied boys and I still am very attracted to men. I was way ahead at maths, and typical boys stuff when very young, waaaay waaay ahead, got on super my with boys,explained to a wee lad The fundamental lad who became a maths prof. I KNOW nowadays I would have been considered trans; I wound have considered myself trans; only because of the woeful stereotypes. This concept has ever driven me crazy. I’m am a phenomenally beautifully rotund beautiful female with tons of typically male interests m.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I believe it’s called ‘normal human variation’.

When they used to beat the left-handedness out of kids there were much less left hands people in the world. When they stopped the level of left-handedness rose and then plateaued.

When homosexuality was a criminal offence, in certain countries, the number of gay people was low. When those laws were changed and gay people were accepted for who they are the numbers rose and then plateaued.

Now that trans kids are feeling more supported in certain sections of society their numbers will rise and, once the hatred and fear are conquered, they will plateau as well.

The tide is turning…

It was sad to see people who were persuaded, without proper counselling, into very serious radical surgery. These people certainly an ores ent cases to answer.

• Advertisement

And the link to autism and most of these girls being outcasts and it's the trendy thing to do at the moment.

Nothing to do with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Well, I can't give someone else's opinion, only my own.

Expressed opinion can no longer be repressed as was the case not so long ago, and was definitely not in favour of women and was the agenda of those who championed of those engaged in mysogyny. And I stand up unfashionably for men in many instances.

There are studies demonstrating links between autism and gender and other dysphorias, where people feel uncomfortable in their skin for a number of reasons, none of which is addressed by changing the body as it is pervasively in the mind. I’m quite sure there are plenty of instances done fit into this category. However it seems that autism may be in the increase and there are some lingers as to possible increases in cases, such as more paracetamol increased during pregnancy, maybe due to increased demands of physical activity upon pregnant women whose muscles and sinews become somewhat lax and achey.

Everyone knew gay people, my mother born in 1920s knew them, she had an idea her beloved boyfriend (not my father) was bisexual; it was illegal but everyone of us had gay friends from long back. Of course it shouldn’t have been illegal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭SeanW

Wow "Silence anyone who opposes me" ... so original.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

So there you have it: The Tavistock Clinic reports children in their care are 1/3 more likely to have either autism or some other similar neurodiversity, and Cambridge University reports the rate of autism in transgender people to be between 3-6 times that of the wider population, and those matching figures are from two bodies independent of each other.

I had no idea those numbers were so monstrously high but it answers a lot of questions.

-Shield

My own quiet opinion is that everyone is afraid of expressing any kind of opinion tbh.

This will change within the years. I welcome diversity in its fullest form.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement