Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK had to come to Ireland's aid as a Russian submarine was 'hovering' 12 miles from Cork harbour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,291 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I never suggested otherwise.

I don't support any of those parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

WTAF? has any of that got to do with your post? and do you really think the mess that has been caused by successive Govts for decades, even FFG cant clean it up (although they have no intention). Whatever you think of SF, you can hardly think it is reasonable for any party to fix a prior mess in record time, it's been decades in the making. It appears, despite some petty squabbling, they are mostly aligned on the things that affect us.

On defence, years of either FF or FG or both (FFG) have allowed the PDF to get to where it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

What will happen if the RN were in our waters?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,291 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Once again you seem to be under the impression I'm a supporter of FF/FG and I'm here to fight their case, just to clear up an confusion I'm not on both counts.

You on the other hand seem to be either a die hard shinner or else someone who has swallowed their BS hook line and sinker, they won't fix anything because housing and health are the 2 things that no government can ever get a handle on.

But back on topic defence is not something any left leaning party has any interest in funding.

Probably dragging a trawler to its doom, maybe a diplomatic complaint? I dont know what the official steps are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,284 ✭✭✭standardg60

Get the excuses in early!

Anyone with half a brain knows that SF aren't going to improve the issues with health and housing one iota.

But sure it's better to be doing nowt on ministerial wages than in opposition, just keep banging the drum and hope eventually enough start marching to the beat to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Twelve miles isn't international waters, how has this information been leaked now, different agenda possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

This is seriously embarrassing for us as a country but sadly nobody in the Dáil gives a toss and the general public doesn't seem to care either.We should be at the bare minimum have some sort of defensive capability and be able to look after ourselves.Smaller countries than us have invested properly into their defence forces so should we.As other people have said here it's not as if our tax payer money that is not being used for defense is being spent wisely elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Ireland are correct to what they are doing. Let the EU, UK and the States pay to protect those cables. We'll have all of the FCA lads on here giving it loads about how we should have fighter jets and submarines. Mad stuff.

• Advertisement

Once again? what are you talking about? you seem to be the one that is a bit confused, I never said you were a FF/FG supporter, but you did come in and blame another party none of which I support. The fact is FF & FG have been in power so are responsible where anything has gone poorly,badly,wrong. Deflecting as to why SF aren't good, wont be better, that sounds very like a typical FF or FG tactic. Imo they are all as bad as each other, you made it plain you have an obvious thing against SF.

You then start issuing your opinion of who you think I support, I dont support any party, this makes me think you are a closet blueshirt because complaining about and blaming SF are par for the course for FG supporters in particular.

BACK ON TOPIC! you were the person who took it off topic blaming SF (just to clarify in case you start jumping to conclusions), I dont support any political party at this point, nor have for some time, I have voted for a few specific individuals in local elections and I have mostly turned up and spoiled my vote for national elections, as in obviously spoiled with some commentary, not accidentally marked incorrectly or made my vote invalid like it was an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That Dad's Army slur is very outdated.

Besides we are obviously talking about naval capabilities in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AngeloArgue

It's evidently obvious that we must host British military forces in the Republic of Ireland, as part of NATO, to protect us from the Russians. Royal Navy ports and RAF airfields dotted around our coastline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Nothing of course ...but we would know and knowing may be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

A defense policy based on "sure we'll get away with it, everyone loves the Irish" is becoming rather childish.

"Let's hope the RN weren't in our territory when they were doing us this favour"

What would we do if they were, get Mickie to send a strongly worded letter?

True but he's correct in suggesting that SF and the rest of the far left are even more on the "neutrality" dreamland boat than the FF/FG lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I really hope you are wrong about that because if you think things are bad now they would be a lot worse with Sinn Fein in power. The international markets would look at us think we are gone crazy and decide not to lend to us because they would be afraid they would never get there money back. You think the 2008 crash was bad. This would make it look like it was nothing compared to what Sinn Fein being in Government would be like.

Anyway back on topic.

I think the easiest way to protect out waters is to buy a few submarines maybe second hand off the Americans or the British or French.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Submarines are useless for protecting your water. What you want is a visible and clear deterrent. Even a Naval Service vessel approaching the area would have had an effect, the problem is that they are incapable of seeing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭Allinall

If that was the case, you’d be correct.

Thankfully it’s not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,689 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The sooner Ireland becomes the 51st State Of America the better 😋😜

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AngeloArgue

Yes, 100%.

Imagine if we were all forced to speak Russian!!!

Instead of Arabic

• Registered Users Posts: 23,479 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 35,689 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Well Ireland is 2000 miles closer to The White House than Hawaii 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭saabsaab

How on earth is it too expensive to fit sonar? Sure every bigger trawler and some smaller ones have sonar now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭blackbox

So the government is to blame because a Russian submarine was legally in international waters off our South coast?

What right has anyone got to chase it?

If we had the best equipped warships and aircraft in the world it would have made no difference unless we wanted to start a war.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

How do you know that, because it was reported in the main stream news media?

It was a submarine, we dont know where it went because it was under water and we dont have the ability to trace anything we cant see in the air or under water.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Not exactly..

'Under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea 1982, all coastal states are permitted to claim a shelf up to 200 miles in breadth, subject to the exercise of the same rights by their neighbours. States whose continental shelves naturally extend beyond this distance must establish their limits to the satisfaction of the UN commission on the basis of scientific data.

A coastal state exercises over its continental shelf the sovereign right to exploit its natural resources, including oil and gas deposits as well as other minerals and biological resources, located on or under the seabed.

The recommendations allow Ireland to exercise these rights exclusively in the claimed area of extended seabed, which amounts to an additional 39,000km of Irish shelf., representing approximately half the size of its land territory.

This first Irish submission to the UN commission was a partial submission which concerns the undisputed portion of Ireland's outer continental shelf. Other areas in which Ireland's claims overlap with those of other states are the subject of separate exercises.'

“Sure we’re only a little nation”’ never mind main communications between Europe & America lie under our shores 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,071 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Advertisement