Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda unfair Fine

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

I suspect there is a pertinent detail or two missing from the original post.

"It is against the law for you to drive unaccompanied on a learner permit" RSA Website.

The other thing not mentioned is the ownership of the car, if it was the ladies vehicle provided as a learning tool for the boyfriend, then she needs to put a complaint in if she wasn't fined also. Giving him the keys and no clear instruction that he wasn't to move the car without her, is permitting him to commit the offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

I’d appeal it, though I’d even go back and take a picture of the car parked, and maybe a smidgen in my favour too whilst recreating the scene, and present this as evidence, not saying anybody should do this, but just what I would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,201 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

"Hello guards, you forgot to charge me with an offence." Brilliant strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,201 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

He wasn't charged with being parked illegally so what good would this do?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

And a judge would find it ridiculous too and bin it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If he was asked to move the car and he drove it unaccompanied, even if only 2m, then clearly he is guilty of driving unaccompanied. He would have been fine if he had pushed it or asked the guard to sit in the passenger seat.

I suspect that the Garda saw him drive in, but we don't know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's already been established that just by sitting behind the wheel of a parked car with the engine turned off he committed an offence.

Therefore moving the car was immaterial.

At least if this thread did nothing else it has drawn attention to this little known law.

Why is the OP now missing in action? 🧐

I do realise she might be waiting for a slew of replies before evaluating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭nachouser

It's just another walter mitty re-reg made up thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

You can't just present random photos and admit them into evidence. The Garda would rightfully object to it being admitted as evidence and the Judge would most certainly rule in their favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Ginger83

As a disabled parking permit holder myself it's quite annoying coming across spaces being abused daily even though he wasn't fined however I suspect he was seen driving in on his own. I suspect he dropped herself off, fecked off for an hour and was seen returning alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭JVince

How on earth do people believe such crap as the op? Even moderators seem sucked in.

FFS, READ the utter sh1te written.

"Provisional licence" - hasn't been called that for decades.

Op returned after about 10 minutes and THEN the Garda gave the ticket.

You really think a Garda hung around for 10+ minutes for crap like this.

It's a TROLL and you all fell for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Public servants need to do their jobs efficiently do they not?

If someone doesn't remind them of their duties regarding fairly trivial offences wouldn't it encourage people to commit bank robberies, mass murder or spend their lives high on illicit substances if the guards are happy to dish out a parking fine and call it a day?

Seriously, my point was that a fine for being in an illegally parked car seems a tad short on facts.

You can be prosecuted for being drunk in charge of a vehicle in the UK, the possession of keys being a "key" factor, but you have to drive the car to be prosecuted for driving when unsupervised.

If it wasn't his vehicle, which I would think was the case for a learner due in no small part to insurance/ performance factors, then two fines should have been issued. I wonder why not?

Gardai may see a case of inappropriate road behaviour and look to the simple prosecution of the more serious crime, for plain expediting the case, less processing, give a warning over the lesser element, then take serious action over the part that might garner more attention from a judge.

I was nearly run down on my own very quiet estate recently by an ill-tempered driver who didn’t like how slowly I was crossing due to MS, he blared horn and gave abuse, I reported to local guard who called fine to his house to have a word. The local guards did not like the idea of a person with a disability being bullied in any form.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

No a sensible Garda would ask him to break the law and move a car. Not to mention if anything happened he'd say but the Guard told me to.... Better leave the commons sense stuff to someone else.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod: Discussion moved to Motors. Please read the Motors before continuing to comment.

-Shield

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement