Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garda unfair Fine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Unfair is somebody who needed that disabled spot having to drive past it because they couldn't get into it.

Either you parked it there and left it to get your hair done or he drove unaccompanied. Either way not "unfair fine"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

So did he drive the car to the hairdressers on his own?.........Hopefully this time you might notice that I applied a question mark......meaning I was asking a question. After that I just pointed out that if yes was the answer to my question then it was indeed an offence.

Sorry but why could it not be that she drove with him (ie he drove with her accompanying) to the salon?

Why is the only answer here they teleported to the salon and the boyfriend came to collect?

I’ve often dropped the Mrs to a hair appointment and waited for her in the car if I’ve nothing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I suspect he moved the car forward so game over. But then that could be in my head too!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

That’s my thinking. The garda prob had him move before checking licence etc

cheeky out to do him like that but it was that or a fine for parking in the disabled spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,187 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Not relevant. He was sitting in the drivers seat so he was in charge of the vehicle.

well you couldn’t be more wrong there

the law is driving unaccompanied not sitting in the drivers seat unaccompanied. Can you kindly direct me to any text that states a learner is considered to be driving unaccompanied just by sitting in the drivers seat of a parked car that is switched off?

I posted the relevant definition from the RTA earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭malinheader

Also common sense policing. As in this case no real bad crime committed a little friendly warning would of sufficed

Why was this the Traffic corp that issued this, and was the provisional driver a drug dealer. I can't see your point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Driver should simply have been asked to move the car and the matter should have ended there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,117 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Off with his head

Totally agree, common sense policing. People would have alot more respect if this was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

When I did my driving test the instructor told me to get in the car and wait while he looked over the outside of the vehicle, by your logic that was illegal, call the guards.

A bit remiss of her, a fully qualified licensed driver who knows the rules, to leave it entirely to him to get out of car and inspect what kind of parking spot he might be in. 🙄

I think the actual sitting in the car unaccompanied is a straw man argument here, but the careless parking+L plate is the likely thing that attracted Garda attention. Blue badges are very hard won, where spaces are observed being abused it draws attention and more especially by a passing Garda car. Whatever OP’s boyfriend said to the guards may have added more substance to their action, or they might have observed him pulling in for all we know as we haven’t been told that information.

A driving license or Learners Permit is a privilege, not a right. Respect it. Respect the basic rules and all will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I was not, I was parked in a public carpark outside the the test centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭StormForce13

By "move" I assume that you mean that he would have had to push it? Because it's clear that he couldn't have driven it without breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Did everyone missed the bit where he offered to move the car before the Garda asked for his licence. So essentially offered to drive the car unaccompanied in front of a Garda. That is probably why the fine was issued when the Garda saw his licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

If you appeal you would most probably win as no judge would put this through and it is unlikely the guard would turn up in court to support it. As others have said it is common practice for driving testers to leave the car during a test.

That said, the guard may just get annoyed and issue a ticket for parking in a disabled spot as he should have done in the first palce so it's probably not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This thread is an eye opener for me.

I never knew it was an offence for a learner to sit in the driving seat of a parked car with the engine off.

Only a couple of weeks ago I was roped in to accompany a Learner Permit holder who was going on an errand. It seemed a perfect opportunity for them to get some driving experience.

As it happened the learner parked and left me in the car and was gone for about 15 minutes.

It could just as easily have been the other way around and I would have left them alone behind the wheel without a thought.

I'd have been very remorseful if I had contributed to the learner being fined.

A cautionary tale for all us full licence holders, maybe we need to read up on the rules a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,117 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The cautionary tale is not to be a dickhead and think you can park in a disabled spot. It's very unlikely the guard would have bothered him if he hadn't

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Start as you mean to go on, the driver needs to cop on and obey the rules of the road, sounds like he is the type to break all the driving laws, doing what he did on a provisional is crazy and shows his lack of respect for the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes but the fine is for being unaccompanied.

The fact that it was detected due to his parking is incidental.

The offence which he was fined for is the take away point for me.

A member of AGS seeing someone sitting alone behind the wheel of a parked car displaying L plates might just as easily decide to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭nachouser

Hopefully their road tax is up to date.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1. You are meant to be supervising his driving. You (and he) both failed to see that he parked the car half in a spot reserved for disabled people as if it was nothing. This is a perfectly good reason for the garda to issue a ticket and we really need to see more of this because it highlights the sense of entitlement and apathy that exists amongst many people driving.
    2. In my experience (and not that I've ever done it!), a garda who saw a driver sitting in a car with its wheels "slighlty [sic] in a disabled parking spot" would have asked them to move it forwards. There is something missing from the story here - your OH either was fully parked in the spot or they got smart with the garda - which is it?
    3. He presumably does not have a provisional - he has a learners permit which means that he doesn't have any form of drivers licence. (If I'm incorrect and he is one of the few who does have a provisional then this would show that his driving abilities are so bad that he hasn't passed a test!).
    4. As you now know, whoever is sitting in the drivers seat with the keys is deemed to be in charge of the car.The same logic can see people "sleeping it off" being done for drink driving!
    5. That the garda was still there ten minutes after the event suggests that he was taking it seriously despite how you casually describe the situation to us (and for whatever resason deem it to be unfair).

Still, you can look forwards to seeing what his insurance renewal comes to now!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

For God’s sake ! What any sensible Garda would do would be to ask him to move the car off the Disabled Parking Bay and if this was done the matter should be at an end . And yes ignore the fact that he would have to drive unaccompanied to do so. Only those involved know the finer details of what happened so we can only go on what has been posted here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

My son is learning to drive at moment insured in my car i am always with him, now last week he was driving i asked him to pull in so i could go to the shop to get a coffee now if a garda approached he could be prosecuted for being a unaccompanied driver, seems ridiculous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement