Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I think i said it earlier that it's surprising that for a company so image focused as red bull, who seem to be very good usually at PR, this whole Horner affair has been mishandled from the get go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

There might be a hidden reason this story resonates with the BBC more than others. Some of you might be familiar with their old commentator, Jack Nicholls, well towards the end of 2022 an accusation was raised that Jack was acting inappropriately with a junior member of the Formula E staff for which he was also the lead commentator. While the investigation was ongoing Jack was banned from travelling to FE races and did commentary remotely up until around April when he admitted his wrong doing and was sacked. IMG, the company who produce the BBC coverage also decided to let him go under a clause that his behaviour brings the BBC into disrepute, it was right in the middle of the Monaco Grand Prix so Jack had done free practice, but Harry Benjamin did the race and has been the lead commentator ever since. Formula E initially replaced Jack with Ben Edwards but he didn't really gel with the series so they tried the Eurosport and Gran Turismo commentator Tom Brooks who's been the lead since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I don't think that's accurate. I think Honda kept their IP and the engines are/were built in Japan. Red Bull Powertrains built their own facility and poached some Honda staff.

Honda are setting up a bigger base in the UK for 2026 for the move over to supplying Aston Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Pretty cool vid, Suzuka is one track where the new gen cars actually beat the older ones in a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Verstappen going to end up at Mercedes i reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

There is very little chance of that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Jacovs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I don't see why anyone would want him tbh. He was no better than average in his last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If Red Bull were always going to be scumbags about it they should have just given her a million quid as long as she agreed to quit her job and sign an NDA. We wouldn't even be talking about this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Seemingly she was offered something close to that but no good. This suggests the whole thing was designed to get horner out and money was never going to make her (them) go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Alot more going on,we wouldn't all have seen private WhatsApp with one side of the conversation so obviously deleted at times,there was a strategy at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭jj880

No-one forced Horner to sexually harass his PA. Conspiracies and/or destabilising tactics are irrelevant. Maybe others opened the door but Horner walked through it. This is why its not going away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

with Hamilton moving to Ferrari , where does Sainz go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I can see him going to Audi maybe, or red bull might go after him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭This is it

I'll say Sainz to Aston Martin, with Alonso to Red Bull. Antonelli to Merc, Danny Ric gone

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

that would be interesting to see Alonso in the RB .But I’m not sure how Max would take it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Major tinfoil hat, but, if it is Jos that's behind all the leaks trying to get Horner out, Horner could go and sign the likes of Alonso in an attempt to upset Max and get him to leave. Like I said, major tin foil hat and I don't think it'll happen

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I don’t think it would bother Max at all if Alonso replaced Perez, he’d have Fernando’s number too. Horner wouldn’t sign him though I don’t think, not if Perez can keep close enough to Max and keep getting podiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I don't think it would bother Max either tbh, I think he'd relish it and likely comfortably beat Alonso, but it'd be interesting to see. I think it's much more likely Checo will likely stay on at Red Bull

• Advertisement

I assume by RB in the last few posts you mean red bull and not the Laser Card Revolut RB team?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yep, RBR to be exact I guess. Not the VISA Cashback Centrally Regulated RB team that Yuki and Danny drive for. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Perez is doing enough so far to keep his seat for next year. Red Bull don't really need to bring a Sainz or Alonso next season.

Alonso is probably best placed to stay at Aston Martin and do another two years. They will have Honda engines and new rules for 2026.

Mercedes look to be going backwards, not forwards. Sainz has a tough decision to make for next year and onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I just hope that Carlos ends up in the best team and car he can for next year. I would love to see him beating the Ferraris in a different team next year be it with Aston Martin or Mercedes or Red Bull. However if Sergio keeps up his current form he will still be at Red Bull next year but I think Red Bull will just sign a 1 year contract with him to keep the pressure on and the door open in case Sergio loses form and they have a better option.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,610 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Would going to audi be the right decision, where do see audi in the constructors? I think myself they'd be midfield for a couple of seasons anyway, I just don't see them taking over and hitting the ground running. Sainz probably best shout is Merc which I'd assume won't make a balls of the 2026 regs or RB if Checo goes but you've also the risk of them getting the powerunits wrong. RB will prioritise the driver leading the championship, it's probably Sainz best shot at being a world champion

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yeah, if Perez can secure P2 in the drivers championship I don't think it would make sense to replace him with a faster driver, only going to cause problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think Aston are on a push to the top and could be a great seat for Sainz. Great chance to outright lead a big team as Alonso will either move on or retire in the not too distant future surely.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Alonso and Sainz at Aston Martin with Russell and Vettel at Mercedes.

Vettel won't be back. Kimi Antonelli is the likely driver for Mercedes. I like the Alonso/Sainz pairing, that'd be fun to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,510 ✭✭✭✭vectra

But did he?
    I don't get the hatred for Christian and Red Bull.!
    Well, I kind of do get the way people despise a soft drinks company whooping the asses off supercar manufacturers and all that, but hey, that's what the sport is all about.
    But this thing with Christian, nobody outside the "case" has a clue what happened or did not happen to be fair.

Advertisement