Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Would you have liked it if they made tent pegs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Gambling, Crypto and Tyrant State Sponsorship are a big step up from those unethical Cigarette companies, rolls eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,956 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

F1 is a grubby business. There's nothing classy about cigarette or gambling or tyrannical state sponsorship.

Nothing has changed. F1 still being sponsored by people with both money and blood on their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Williams will continue using Mercedes power until 2030.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

This might interest a few here, Mclaren bodywarmer. €28 plus postage.

https://castore.com/products/mclaren-mens-hybrid-gilet-phantom

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Rumours that Steiner has left Haas...

And Simone Resta has also left Haas

He must be gone to make his sitcom.

• Advertisement

That is a shame, he is great entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Gunther is only good for the entertainment, Haas were going nowhere with him

It's hard to tell if Haas are crap because of him or in spite of him. Very difficult to know if he was a good team boss. If being a great team boss was measured by making a great joke in DTS 5 years ago, then he'd be the undisputed GOAT. But I don't have a clue how to actually judge him.

I thought the way he bullied Grosjean in that season of DTS showed pretty terrible man-management.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I always got the impression that haas's issue is with Gene more than Gunther. He's never invested enough as is needed to keep the team going.

Having said that, you can't see any team picking Gunther up, so that will reflect on him too... You have to guess he'll end up on media somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

When you are on such a tight budget and always afraid that they will pull the plug, Its almost impossible to run a team successfully ( Brawn excluded)

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'm unsure if unfounded rumours have any place here but this gave me a laugh - Steiner is on gardening leave so he can take up the same role in Ferrari

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

When I saw you mention Resta, I thought you meant Paul di Resta.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thefa

I think Steiner was on borrowed time given how cutthroat the sport is.

Granted he’s working with less resources but that gap has reduced. Imagine he played a key role in keeping the team in F1 too, however 2018 seems like an age ago and not a lot seems to have gone right since.

Driver lineups have been safe to disastrous. Outdeveloped by nearly every other team. Strategy rivals Ferrari at times but avoids the same exposure. Off track messes.

No doubt finances played a part in some of these but the buck has to stop somewhere. Guess you can look at someone like Vowles coming in and improving Williams. Haas hoping you get similar replacing Gunther.

• Advertisement

More launch dates.

Alpine: 7th of February.

Mercedes 14th of February.

Launch dates so far:

Alpine - 7th of February.

Aston Martin - 12th of February.

Ferrari - 13th of February.

Mercedes - 14th of February.

Red Bull - 15th of February.

Sauber - 5th of February.

Williams - 5th of February.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Who's this "Sauber" that you speak of? 🤔 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ScuderiaNick

Going to be an amazing season. I really can’t wait for it to begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭CONSI

Will anyone be able to put a challenge to Max, outside of Verstappen the rest of the field were close and there was a lot of good racing last year. The reliability of the cars is unbelievable these days aswell...

I can see McLaren being close and Ferrari. Aston MIGHT but it is a big question. Mercedes have to be closer, they really have to, they have barked on enough about this new car concept so they have no excuses now.

AM need to learn to develop their car. On 2 occasions they've had the second best car at the start I'd the season and slipped to midfield by the end. Last year was a shocking loss of development between the beginning and the end.

In 2020 they pretty much cappied/bought the car from Mercedes and didn't seem to know how to develop it. And last year they got the car from that RB designer and fell backwards through the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭McFly85

Don’t see anything other than another straightforward enough championship for Max. RB are years ahead of everyone with this car and as a driver he’s peerless right now.

Would love for McLaren, Ferrari and Mercedes to push them closer this year though and have a car capable of winning races - even if they can’t catch Max, they’re the 3 most interesting driver combinations on the grid, watching those teams compete for race wins against eachother could be great entertainment.

And we have our first livery launch.

• Advertisement

I'd disagree with the RB car being way ahead tbh. I think they only had a slightly faster car than everyone else last season. The reasons they finished so far ahead IMO:

• They had no single rival. Several teams had the second fastest car at different points in the season, so no one team was able to accumulate points to get anywhere near RB.
    • The crew didn't make mistakes. Almost every other team had multiple instances of crappy pit stops or strategy calls. I don't remember this happening to RB.
    • Car reliability was excellent.
    • Max is a beast. In a field of equal machinery I don't think anyone could beat him to a championship at the moment.

So basically a perfect storm allowed them to run away with the championship, not some uber-dominant car that was miles faster than the rest.

Advertisement