Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,111 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It's very close to the same decision he made when moving to merc in the first place. Though likeky greater confidence then that they were on top of the new regs. I wouldnt know how you could be sure Ferrari are better set for 26 than merc will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This move is poles apart from his move in 2013, apples to oranges. He was well aware of the rule change for 2014 and it proved to be the best choice for him. He was also 20 years younger and near or entering his prime years.

No one will know who is better set for 2026, you'd still have to say RB though as they have gotten these ones bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭geotrig

I'd guess the merc will be competitive and a bit closer to the RB , so while better overall maybe the want to drive for Ferrari has a greater appeal to him to say he at least drove for them and maybe their pitch just seemed good also.

the sainz / charles angle is odd ,they where nearly on with each other sp sign clc to long term deal and get rid of sainz is odd overall and for Ferrari to have 2 top drivers competing would be even odder !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭geotrig

Where sainz goes has me perplexed ,i thought he was a really good fit for Ferrari and charles nearly seemed worn down by them at this stage !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Good way to divert news away from rejecting the Andretti entry 😁

Craig Slater made a good point on Sky that this would explain the long contracts for the likes of Verstappen, Charles, Lando etc, so Merc wouldn't be able to poach them.

Sainz would have to be the top candidate for that seat, or Albon maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭McFly85

That’s a move that has legitimately left me shocked. Would have never, ever thought he’d leave Mercedes.

Will be fascinating to see how he gets on in it though! And where does Sainz go next? Could he jump to Mercedes? He’s a quick driver, could do well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Albon will probably fancy himself for that Merc seat. I don’t think he’s content to stay at Williams long term. They’ve made marginal gains under James Vowles but they’re still Williams. Sainz might try going back RB but who knows.

I’m not that surprised by Lewis’s move. Ferrari have form for signing aging champions and he has spoken positively about driving for them in the past. Plus we know he hasn’t been happy with Merc for the last 2 years and it’s more than just the car.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Funny but also depressing.

This Hamilton move is going to make the Merc car launch on Feb 14th actually worth watching now. 😁

• Advertisement

"Toto, it's Lewis, I have to tell you something..."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Holy Moley

• Registered Users Posts: 23,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Exactly I'd imagine Merc would nearly be happy to be shot of him now.

Like obviously its comically early with 2024 not even started but Merc will obviously be very cagey regarding what they tell/show Hamilton regarding further developments on the 2025 Merc leaving it a harshly split garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭NJSC1980

Alonso’s AM deal was a 2+1+1 where Alonso has the option on the plus one’s. Technically he’s free for 2025 if he chooses.

Alonso to Mercedes?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,111 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Was the vettel swap to Ferrari similar? Amnohn season before?convinced there was another big move in the recent past with it being announced in the pre season the year before the move

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭McFly85

I always wrote off those comments as contract tactics, but he genuinely must feel Merc have no hope of fighting at the top until the new regs come in, so may as well tick one off the bucket list and drive for Ferrari

The biggest loser out of all of this will probably be Perez. There’s no way he can hold onto the second RB seat with potentially Sainz and Ricciardo both available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

RB maybe in a bit of a bind now, Danny Ric and Sainz both there for the taking and they’ll likely have to choose quickly! Might make for hasty decision making!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Sainz will feel hard done by. He may not be quite as quick as Leclerc, particularly in qualifying, but he is equal in driving skill and less error prone. So now he is a dead duck for the entire season. Arguably, recruiting the elderly and slowing Hamilton will weaken the team overall rather than strengthening it.

What next? Vettel comes out of retirement to drive for Merc ?

He might feel hard done by but by all accounts he was playing hard ball in contract negotiations with Ferrari and negotiations had stalled somewhat as a result. He probably regrets arguing over a few euros here and there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,240 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sainz would be the most recent I could think off and that was in the final quarter of a season.

He joined Renault a few weeks after he announced he was going to be joining them the following year. Granted Renault wanted Palmer gone ASAP but Toro Rosso were happy enough to get rid of Sainz ASAP and instead promote Hartley before he joined TR full time the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭klose

Massive news, a lot of potential seats for 2025 so if drivers at lower places teams ever fancied themselves a big shot this is the season to drive the wheels off their respective cars.

Would love Vettel to come back. Since 2010, Merc have had a world champion in their team...so ya never know.

Just checked his insta...his last post.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,354 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

So in 2014 (10 years ago) he was 20 years younger? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭NJSC1980

And suddenly the delight of F1 the Andretti talk has been completely buried!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Rumor is that Taylor Swift will start dating a F1 driver after the Superbowl. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭thefa

Told my wife I have huge news. She thought that my sister might be pregnant so was disappointed with Hamilton to Ferrari!

I remember Ferrari rumors coming up a couple of times in the last 5 years during contract negotiations but never considered it a real possibility. Pretty exciting combo.

Part of me hoping Ricciardo (and Perez) don’t do enough and Sainz ends up in Red Bull. Albon feels like a better Mercedes fit for me and Sainz is probably the best driver you realistically can put in the Red Bull to challenge Verstappen.

• Advertisement

The big issue with waiting and seeing for the teams is that the wheels are now in motion and is there a risk that you miss out? Sainz needs a seat. Mercedes and a bunch of other teams will need drivers. It could be all done and dusted much earlier this year than normal.

Advertisement