Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 F1 General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I was thinking the opposite in terms of the money actually - he's not short of a few bob and possibly thinks Merc just aren't going to fight for titles under the current regs, maybe Ferrari are heading in a better direction under Fred's watch. In terms of going up against Charles - he's fast but not consistent enough over a season to come out on top of Lewis - maybe that's his thinking. Will be fascinating to watch if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

A lovely discussion Andrew :) I legit have no pals interested in F1, so this is like a hug for my brain.

There are a few things on my mind for this:

• Hamilton has seen the sim data of the new Merc and knows that his chances of winning with them are gone
    • Ferrari are maybe unknown (fast enough car recently, but operationally they are still Ferrari) so why not? He ticks the box that he raced for them, he is a big customer for them anyway with his own personal LaFerrari and a few others I believe. John Elkann is huge fan as well.
    • Money and marketing, great for both parties in this case.

Going up against Charles Leclerc in a Ferrari is brave, very brave, especially at his age. Leclerc beat Vettel so he isn't shy of going against a WC. He just signed his long term future to them also.

Even if Hamilton goes there and they produce a dud, he has nothing to lose at this stage of his career. They were closest to RB at the start of the latest regs, but have fallen off now, as have most really.

It does remind me of Schumacher going to Merc in 2010, signs were good but it never really worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's a strange time of year for silly season. How is the Mercedes-Benz team supposed to function for the whole year knowing he's off.

I can't see it being just him. I'd expect maybe Pete Bonnington at the very least to follow him. No offence to the Ferrari race engineers but those drole Italian accents would irk Hamilton very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Sky reporting it a done deal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Hamilton hasn't much to lose. If he beats LeClerc, he looks great beating a highly rated driver in the same car. If he doesn't, well he's older so people will say he's just no longer in his prime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Question is, whos going (Spoiler warning: Its Sainz)

Until I see the F1 breaking caption, I'm not buying it.

I do hope poor Carlos lands a good seat at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,238 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Red Bull will have to move very quick if they want Sainz to replace Perez next year, Sainz surely front runner for Mercedes otherwise.

2025 Silly Season starts before 2024 begins!

• Advertisement

Lol I'm the same as yourself - feck all mates into the sport. The wife thinks I'm mad watching re-runs of another Max victory during the off-season. 😂

Yeah you've summed it up well there and if you're not in a Red Bull then any of the other big teams are just as likely to challenge. Ferrari, Aston and McLaren all have had spells of being able to challenge for short spells to differing degrees - but none over a full season. Yep Merc have come second but second still doesn't give you an 8th title. He's had his period of domination with Merc so why not try something different.

Fair balls to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,354 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I don't see Sainz to Mercedes. Albon maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I think RB will make a play for Sainz.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Merc but would Toto try and lure Ocon maybe? As a wingman for George.

For sure Sainz would do a better job than Perez in terms of getting points for the team. Not sure how well Sainz and Max get on these days? Thought I read there was a bit of needle between them years ago but they're both in a different place now. But then, why didn't Red Bull replace Perez with Sainz already...

The Sky link has updated to the below - I was thinking Hamilton had just signed a contract extension alright - so he'll not complete that so.

The Race are reporting that the 2nd year of Hamilton's contract was an option on his part, so it's all good on that front.

Silly season will get going in anger now, we have only 2 teams with solid pairings for 2025 now, right? (McLaren & Ferrari based on this).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

And so the Merry Go Round starts.

Any predictions, i reckon Sainz to RB. Albon to Mercedes and Perez either gonzo or down to Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

That’s mad Ted. I had read rumours yesterday but didn’t think it would actually happen. Where does that leave Sainz for 2025? I could see RB being interested but I don’t think Sainz sees himself as a number 2.

You'd still have to wonder, if Hamilton is calling a move before his option, what has he seen to make him jump ship?

I think RB will take an interest in Sainz, Ricciardo might still be in play though.

It's wild to be thinking about all of this before a wheel has even turned.

Sainz to Sauber/Audi (Saudi?, the illuminati exists)

I hope he finds a race winning seat at the very least. He's a solid driver who deserves more.

2 things jump to mind for me:

1. He doesn't have faith in Mercedes getting back to winning form anytime soon
    2. This is likely his last F1 contract, and who wouldn't want to race for Ferrari at some point in their career if possible?

• Advertisement

We should collectively spare a thought for Totos headphones right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭NJSC1980

• Registered Users Posts: 23,238 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

And Lando, who must be gutted he extended with McLaren as he would be a lock for the Mercedes otherwise.

Man it's great to have this thread buzzing again, cheers Lewis! 😂

• Red Bull: Ricciardo if he does well this year. Verstappen going nowhere.
    • Mercedes: Albon makes loads of sense here. Russell be the team lead, lets see how he does.
    • Ferrari: Leclerc and Hamilton now.
    • McLaren: Norris and Piastri.
    • Aston Martin: Tsunoda here replacing Stroll who goes to WEC, ahead of the Honda link up in 2026. Alonso hopefully stays put.
    • Alpine: Literally nobody cares, do they have any fans?
    • Williams: Not a clue. Can't see Checo going down here, and I'd be astonished if Sargent hangs onto a seat for a 3rd year. Bottas might go back to where it all started perhaps?
    • Mastercard Venmo Raging Bullets: Lawson to take one of the seats, no idea who will take the 2nd.
    • Sauber: Apparently they are mad keen for Sainz and also Hulkenberg. That's a solid lineup to be fair...
    • Haas: Don't deserve to be on the grid. They'll likely take Bearman and somebody else?

Some good shouts there and lol at the Alpine comment! Very true. 😂

Although I think @Jordan 199 is a fan god love him, painful team to support.

To be honest, I would prefer to be in a McLaren over a Merc right now. Lewis has seen something, or rather seen a lack of something, for him to jump ship.

Lando at McLaren makes sense as well, I see them being the closest to RB this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,111 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Will be odd seeing hamilton in the merc for the coming season now.

Kinda wish Ferrari and merc could do a deal now to move him over there this season.

Maybe swap drivers. I dunno. Just assume it'll be a nothing season for Hamilton now, or result in arguments cause merc world be dumb to not prioritise Russel in any decision making over the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,111 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Would have to assume he's gambling on the reg changes in 26. Can't imagine he is moving with the expectation Ferrari will beat rb in 25.

• Advertisement

Possibly, gamble is the right word.

He has literally nothing to lose with this move, he will be over 40 in 2026? In the same team as Charles who is only going to get better.

If this was a move when Lewis was in his prime, I would put a good bet that he would be winning well and competing for a championship. This version of Lewis? It is way harder.

Advertisement