Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Marathon 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Louis 2018

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Looks to be a tshirt swap at the UL Arena on Saturday. I opted to collect my number so gonna head down from Dublin early Saturday (probably after parkrun 🙈). Nice to soak up the atmosphere at the expo as I am still a marathon novice

Good luck all

• Registered Users Posts: 3 trevchenko8292

Is the T-shirt swap in UL also the expo? There’s no mention of an expo on the website🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

From the email today

“There will be a swap area in the UL Arena on Saturday the 4th of May between 11am – 4.30pm, if you need to change your t-shirt size. This is subject to availability.”

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

The forecast now is looking legendary. I’ll take a bit of sun over the typical sh1te we’ve had in the past 250 days.

• Advertisement

Sorry I don’t know, I’ve never gone to the UL thing, postal only

Post edited by JMSE on

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭TimeClock18

The "expo" from last year was just a long table of number collection points. Another set of tables for tops and a couple of other races advertising their races as well as an "old" gear sale of old race tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Seemed to be fairly busy earlier on at UL...we got in just ahead of the Kids Run crowd so not too bad.

The t-shirts are actually quite nice imho but the sizing is smallish so would advise sizing up

Signed up for the half myself a few days ago...not really in great shape... looking for a solid run rather than chasing a time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

No tshirts left at all. They are taking names to post out after the event

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Trampas

Good luck all. I’m in for the half now to pace the oh around as other person had to drop out. This could be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭4Ad

Best of luck everyone, enjoy. It's windless, sunny but cool, perfect..

Bit too warm for my liking. Last hour could be tough.

Good luck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Best of luck everyone. Been thinking of this day for months. Can't bloody wait!!!

Desperately looking for suncream in the house 😂

Good luck everyone - hopefully the nice weather brings out the crowds

Take a bow Limerick! What a day. Well done to Bear Races who organise this, it’s top notch. More water stations than I could handle AND the perfect receptacle to drink water from when racing! After mile 22 when I thought that’s it now, no more water, there was another out near the Gaelic grounds and both sides of the road for u on the way back! Medal weighs about 15kgs 😃, and the banana was exactly what I ran 26.2 miles for!! Super event lads, that bridge over the Shannon in the Uni ❤️

Ah lads that was absolute hell. No shade at all. I blew up after 32k. It was so tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭JimmyChew

It was very well put together. +1 on the water stations and I'm struggling to fault the event. 4:15 marathon pacers were fantastic 😉

I've ran every year since the start and I suspect they may need a bigger boat next year.

Really great atmosphere it has to be said...the weather certainly wasn't optimal for running but it was a lot more pleasant for spectators.

Couldn't fault any of the organisation...the amount of water stations was phenomenal, and the medal is really high quality.

If they could sort out the "expo"/number collection next year that would make it even better imho.

Got on grand in the half...my calf tightened up horribly in the last few km but ploughed on after a couple of stops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Ah lads what a day. First marathon and absolutely hooked. The support was mighty all way around. I didn't expect to take that many jellies and probably gave even more high fives.

I do most my running in Castletroy so really enjoyed that part but have to say entering town after Dooradoyle and going down Henry St was my favourite part. The crowds at the end were class too.

The event was so well organised,plenty of water and Lucozade station.

Shout-out to the Carlow man that was doing the relay, had a great chat with him from 10 to 20k.

I will never forget that last 5k,it was absolutely brutal but delighted to have ran the whole thing and surpassed my time goal. I'll certainly be back for more.

Agreed on last 5k. The heat at that stage was brutal and we only ever seemed to be going uphill. Still pb'd my marathon time by 3 or 4 minutes and had some good chats on the way around.

zero shade at any point in the race made the going very tough.

The organisation was superb albeit that the course itself could have been better. Too many housing estates, industrial parks and motorway link roads didn't really show the best that Limerick has to offer.

Medal is massive but really impressive 😊

Buzzed that I did it however the last 5km were as tough a run as I have done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Trampas

It was tough out there yesterday. Vast majority wouldn’t have trained in them conditions. Well done everyone. Medal weights a ton

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Trevorfromtheshoppingcentre

The medal almost dragged me to the ground after the race!

Agreed about the organisation, really on point, straight forward experience getting into the race starting pen and waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I was so glad to see the 4:15 pacers as they weren't advised. However I just couldn't take the heat and just melted at the halfway point. I'd spent 4 months battling wind and rain and this day was like another country.

However I'd have to agree with everyone else that the event was brilliantly organised with plenty of water stations and volunteers.

The loopbacks were a bit confusing at times as I thought that I had to run, that bit as well, not realising that I'd already ran it 🤣.

The 4:30 pacers passed me with 5 miles to go, I said to myself that I'd keep up with them but faded. But wow the pacer there was absolutely full of encouragement and was continuing to spur everyone on.

I remember at one point I saw the 5 hour pacer who was more or less on his own with his ballons, my biggest hope was that he didn't pass me ..

I did manage to pick it up a bit and crossed the line at 4hrs 32min and still wonder how that was possible but was very grateful.

The medal is fantastic!

A good day all in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Louis 2018

Well done everyone, agree on the above regarding water stations, organisation etc. will definitely be back. Heat was cruel, struggled from halfway on, complete lack of training in that weather did not help. The weather yesterday was ideal!! I PB'd the half by about 2 mins but not the time I wanted unfortunately.

Support was very good, the route itself could do with a re-think in certain areas but understand doing up a route is not straightforward and I don't know Limerick at all so can't comment on what could be replaced etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Just curious.. as to the prefect receptacle to drink from? Never seems to be a good option for me

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Rockymurf

Great event and organizing. As mentioned the a water stops in the last few miles were very welcome.

My only gripe is doing the 180 around a cone on the route , killer on pace!

But perfect beside that

Anyone else die a death on the last 10k, i found it so warm, there were a few people in a bad way. Some girl in front of me just start wobbling and fell and hit her head before i could catch her. Luckily their were first aid people close by.

I definitely did, 6 mins slower than last year, trying to figure what to blame, I didn’t find it too hot though. Maybe I’m just off the fitness I had last year.

For me those little kids size water bottles are the perfect choice, I used them for all my long runs, I even started the race with one intending to carry it thru 15 miles maybe so was delighted to see they were giving them out at the stations. If you’ve tried the cups they give out in Germany you’ll know what kind of nonsense that is, trying to run and drink from an open cup is daft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chubba1984

I did the first 2/3rds in 2hrs 30, but the last 1/3rd took me almost 2 hours. Took all my mental strength not to DNF on Henry St at 20+ miles as I was staying in the Savoy and we passed right by the door. Training was good, but my choice of attire probably didnt help on the day as I went with clothing I had trained in comfortably but the day was a good 10 degrees warmer than on recent training runs. I was covered in a layer of white salt after from the amount of sweating I did. I drank plenty water was cramping badly so was washed out. Lesson learned.

All about the organisations was A1, water stations, marshals, support etc. The bit along the path by the Shannon after UL with the 3:45 pace group was pure magic.

A few people in a bad way on North Circular were being attended to as I (slowly) passed. The medics earned their corn and seemed to be doing a great job - even had to convince one girl she was done as she was wandering like a zombie across the road.

Advertisement