Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Marathon 2024

Options
  • 10-12-2023 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Alot of runners saying they have signed up for limerick marathon. Probably off the back of issues with Dublin.

Just wondering from people who have experience of it.

1. is it well organised a run

2. is the route pretty much on a par with Dublin or any tougher

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Its very well run, i would regard it a bit tougher than Dublin as more hills on the 2nd half. Its no where near as well supported and very quiet at some sections out by the university. Once you get back into town its brilliant and always a huge crowd over the bridge for the last 2km. I would recommend it very highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

The lesser seen @Swashbuckler from this parish who is also a Limerick native posted the following in one of the previous Limerick threads;

Starts in town, heads out towards the UL direction. Back into town along the riverbank from UL. Then out towards Raheen, little loop in Raheen and back into town. Then out North Circular road, down Ennis road past GAA grounds, loop around and back up towards town for the finish. None of that will mean anything to you if you dont know Limerick.

So...........there are some drags and pulls. The worst hills are probably coming up onto O'Connell avenue and back in towards town. Thats a short enough one though. The worst one is coming back up past GAA grounds at mile 24/25. Thats tough.

There are parts of the route I like especially passing through town and then there are parts I hate. Through housing estates quite a bit and the support can be hit and miss in places.

I'm biased but overall I think its one thats worth doing and they build Riverfest around it so there's a great buzz around. Now, God knows what will happen with Covid and Riverfest but in non Covid times its a definite plus.

There will be a decent crowd running it. A major negative for some people might be the fact that the half marathon and 6 miler link up with it so if youre a bit back in the marathon field you might have a lot of half marathoners and 6 milers whizzing by.

Can't really add to the above. Course needs managing, but it's not a bad route. Wil be towing the line myself next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

This is going to be massive in 2024, if they can get the marathon to take off next year they won't look back.

The only concern is there are a lot on around that time Conn/Cork/London/Manchester/Belfast. But it has a lot going for it, a full weekend of events in the city and multiple events to ensure a lot of people around all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sussex18

Can only echo what others have said really...

It's a good event, only slight flaw would be encountering the Half Marathon runners in the second half, that did cause me to loose 'my line' a bit, had to go on paths to try to get around them and find space for a clear run, this was a bit of a problem for maybe 2 or 3 miles,around miles 14-16 I'd say, until the field spread out again.

The worst climbs are mostly in the last 10K, they're not exceptionally bad but come at time when you're likely to be quite tired.

But the last kilometre is downhill and that's a lovely way to finish as the crowds are quite big heading to the finish line in the city centre..

Also starts in the city centre, close to Bus and Railway station.

Great atmosphere in and around the city and would certainly recommend.

Post edited by Sussex18 on

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Brenny123

Hey all....thinking of giving Limerick marathon a shot this year. Thanks for all the details above.....wonder if route is same for 2024 and if the HM causing bunching will still be an issue this year...what were the pacers like if anyone has ran with them....I have a 3:01 and 3:04 from 2023 so would like to obviously better those fingers crossed 🤞

• Advertisement

The GLR use some fairly experienced pacers but have no experience of those doing 3 hours...

I started last year with the 3:30 group and it was big enough but gradually found my own pace, went a bit ahead of them and stayed ahead...

My experience is that there is a string of people following each other in the marathon. By that I mean I was trying to keep certain individuals in sight at different points, and other people told me that they were trying to stay with me... 'informal pacers' I'd call them.. Even if they got away from me eventually, they still helped me run faster...

But again don't know what it's like for someone aiming for 3 hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I ran the Luxembourg Half Marathon last year - a couple of weeks after I ran the Limeirck Half actually! Like the Limerick one, Half Marathoners and Full Marathoners run the same route at the same time. What I thought was useful in Luxembourg was you were given two bibs in your race pack: the standard race number for your front, and then a coloured tag to stick on the back of your top, letting people know if you were doing the Full or the Half. I thought that was a really good idea.

Interesting idea, maybe something to email the organisers about? .

What is the expectation then in that situation though? Are Half Marathon people expected to let the 'full people' pass or is there separate lanes or something else?

In Galway Bay there was cyclists, at certain points telling the 'full people' to stay left and let those doing the 10K pass, think it was the 10K anyway. You'd expect a lot of the '10K participants' to be be faster than those doing the full which is naturally of a slower pace.

For a faster marathon runner, maybe you'd get past the 'bunching' quicker? I don't know. But I've I've friends who broke 3 hours in the full and they weren't complaining, so I wouldn't let that fear stop you if you'd otherwise like to do it. It's still a very good event with a great atmosphere in the town that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I ran it back in 2018 and was part of the sub 3 pace group that day. In very warm conditions, (sunny, 20+ degrees) the pacer got around in under 3 hours, but I was the only one left with him by the end. We were about 50 seconds down on sub 3 pace after 10k, but that suited my plan that particular day.

We hit the half marathon traffic just after half way point, around 22k and it wasn't great to be fair. Pacer had to up the pace for a couple of kilometers to get through the field and a pair of 4:06 & 4:00 kms put paid to a few runners sub 3 hopes that day. Whether this has been an issue in subsequent years I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I love the Limerick marathon and I’ve done lots of marathons…

Actually signed up for it this year whether I make the start is another story

I love the simple t shirt I think it’s great quality. The support stations are excellent and marshals are very supportive. Pacers are superb.

One slight gripe is the HM joining, it can get crowded and a bit frustrating.

I think the course is fine, prefer it to Dublin, I’ve actually PB’ed twice there.

Good luck anyone doing it

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭Trampas

Half starts 90 minutes after the full. So really depends on your target time. I’ve only ever did the half and always around 90-95 pace and it’s fine for me for congestion after the first few hundred metres but if you’re going for 3 to 3:20 you might experience a wall of people as you hit the people starting in wrong place for half and people going a little slower than you. I always feel for the 3 hour group if they don’t get out ahead of the half. I would assume the lads at front of half would give the marathon lads some space

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Rockymurf

I'm aiming for 3ish this year, now i'm dreading meeting the HM!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

If you get through halfway in sub 3 hour pace you will miss them so there is some extra motivation for training!

It happened to me in 2017 and I wasn't expecting it so was a bit disconcerting but after 1km or so you are running with people around the same pace again.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Snodge

Any feedback on the 6 mile race/ route? Thanks in advance

6 mile route. Congestion

The first 3km is all downhill so very fast, hill around 7-8km. Get up near the top at the start.

Depends on your pace. No idea what time the person is but if there a person who’s an hour then they don’t need them up there. Sub 40 and you still want to be several rows back. Get into the right spot as only a danger for yourself and others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Limerick will be my first marathon, well actually my first race since a disappointing outing in the community games a good 25 years ago. 😯

I'm looking for some info on what to expect pre-race. How early should you be, what should you bring, what should you wear, where do you gather, is there different waves, etc?

Also any other info like what's available at the aid stations.

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

What to wear?

Gear that you have worn many times before. No new stuff on race day. A marathon will be the end of a pair of runners for me and a tshirt and shorts that I have worn on long runs before. I wear shorts with pockets as that is where I carry my gels, €20 and credit card.

I haven't done Limerick but am hoping to do it this year. I would recommend being 45 mins early and soaking up the atmosphere a bit and using the loo if you need to.

Thanks for the reply. The what to wear was pre-race,do you normally wear sweatpants/hoodie and have to chuck them away at the start so bring something that cheap and cheerful.

I'm pretty set on my actual running gear.

• Advertisement

A black bin bag, with a hole cut out for your head obviously, is a staple for runners before a marathon.

Limerick has no waves.

Only water at the stations I think, no gels.

Starts at Pery Square, alongside the peoples park. Baggage drop in the Church of Ireland Church adjacent.

I have done limerick now the last few years. The marathon numbers are quite small, the half is the big one. 45 minutes is loads of time to arrive before the start time, town will be dead that early in the morning. It’s all water stops except one lucozade stop. It’s a strange old course, parts of it are dead but last few Km are brilliant especially crossing the bridge and heading up O’Connell street to the finish line. Big hill around 39k as well, well not that big but after 39k it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JMSE

He ain’t lyin….😃! The Gaelic grounds, where marathon dreams go to die, but then soon after u resuscitate them and yourself and get the show back on the road and soak up the support as u cross the river. I’ve pb’d at Limerick the last 2 years so goin again on May 5th, something magic goin on down there….

Cheers for the info lads, exactly what I was looking for. Already fearing that incline at the Gaelic Grounds but as long as I get there I sure I'll muddle on.

Good luck with the hattrick @JMSE

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dha28862

just to add, I did Limerick last year and loved it. I actually really enjoyed the quiet bits of the course around UL, added a lot of variety to the course. I ran it in just over 3 hours, so met the half marathon runners head on! It didn’t bother me, I thought it helped mixed things up. The finish line is awesome, and the logistics of getting to the start line couldn’t be simpler (walking distance from train and bus station, loads of hotels around, free parking close by). It’s the least stressful marathon I’ve done in that regard. The start area was really cool too, beside a park and lovely Georgian buildings. The support around the city was great, really good atmosphere and buzz around. The course is a LOT more varied than you’d usually expect in a marathon: some bits are bit like a trail run, some bits are quite congested, you run around housing estates and riversides and posh suburbs and the Georgian part of the city and dual carriageways. I’d recommend it, and I’d do it again.

I agree totally with your post until i read about posh parts of Limerick😀. I live out the road so it would be my home marathon and i find it really enjoyable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Trevorfromtheshoppingcentre

Doing the half. Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Louis 2018

I'm reading a lot about the Gaelic grounds 🤣 How bad is it? Like compared to "Heartbreak Hill" in DCM for example? Is it a slow drag, a steep climb and is it just because it hits you at a late stage or what's the story with it? I'm doing the half myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Trevorfromtheshoppingcentre

Curious about this hill too, is a faster start in order?

• Advertisement

Ah its not that bad, its just not what you need at 40k, if it was 5k we wouldnt even be talking about it.

Advertisement