Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

I was under the impression too much fast charging will destroy a batteries performance over time? If the plan is to fast charge loads of buses, taxis etc like this what are you looking at v slow charging turnover wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭josip

I wouldn't fully agree with that. It depends on the OP's budget and needs, but if those trips over 200km didn't exceed 400km and they have access to home/work charging, then they would be a good fit for an EV. They're doing sufficient mileage to make the fuel savings you need to have a business case for the higher purchase price. Apologies if I've missed a post from the OP that contradicts any of these assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭quokula

It's amazing how often anywhere you see EVs being discussed online, so many people commenting seem to need to drive from coast to coast every weekend going by the range they say they regularly need. Not saying it's not true for these people, but they tend to be the vocal minority who shout loudest because they're the ones for whom EVs might not work, while the other 99% of people are just getting on with it as EVs suit their needs perfectly.

A good metaphor I heard was that it's not unheard of to want to carry more than 5 people every now and then, but you wouldn't buy a minivan just so you're covered for those moments, while you put up with a less suitable vehicle for every other need you have. By the same token for most people you might occasionally have a journey that is beyond the range of your car, but putting up with the mild inconvenience of public charging those few times for year is far better than having an inferior more expensive to run car for the other 99% of journeys you take just so you're covered on those rare moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

On a smaller scale, we had this debate when looking at a 58kWh or 77kWh battery in our I5. we realised that for a max twice year event, we would be spending an extra €5k or something. Assuming 5 years of ownership, the cost of each "event" where we would have liked the bigger battery would have been say €500. That's an expensive nice to have. The same logic applies to a lot of the "I would like the range" arguments...I'd argue those people would be cheaper buyer an EV, and then renting an ICE once a year if it means that much to not use public charging on holidays.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That was a fear early on in EV development. There's a lot of evidence now to show that fast charging isn't all that bad for the battery provided that the BMS manages the hear adequately. In short charging fast isn't a problem, failure to manage the heat from fast charging can be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yet I've been driving an id4 gtx for 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Probably depends on how much over 200km as most new EVs would do a lot more than 200km in any weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Buffman

RTE are getting plenty of 'mileage' out of the sales statistics for their headlines.

First this: New electric car sales up 45%, new diesel car sales down

And 3 days later this: Have sales of electric vehicles stalled or will 2024 be the year they accelerate into the mainstream?

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭cannco253

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Were they just terribly overpriced to start with? Cars are now throwaway Chinese plastic consumables like mobile phones.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

The way I see it, brexit, covid, perfect storm, supply issues of new cars pushed people to the limited supply of used cars in the Irish market.

High used prices coupled with a few global crises meant new cars also got more expensive and dealers saw this and jacked up prices.

People bought them in 22 and 23 regardless.

Perfect storm started to run out of puff and market began to return to long term normality, burning 22 and 23 buyers, some of us like me just keeping cars we were happy to pay inflated prices for, those who still think they need they need to change their overpriced market car in a cooling market are getting into a tizzy.

Anyone that's studied economics understands short run v long run with markets out of and in equilibrium respectively. Except for journalists and posters on boards it seems.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_run_and_short_run

Keep your car people, market will stabilise, there's plenty of people will buy 2nd hand EVs, there is just a stand off going on but there will be blinks.

Some EVs are reasonable now, mid 30s for an id3 type car and early 40s for id4 is not any dearer than an equivalent ICE.

The panicking and hysteria is nonsensical.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Agreed. What the article briefly mentions is the cost to change. While the depreciation of second hand EVs has been significant the cost of new EVs has also dropped significantly. So that 221 or 222 60k ID4 owner could trade up to a new model of the same car which now has a OTR price of 42k. The cost to change could be minimal. Yet the article fails to elaborate on this crucial point and he goes on to say he's going back to diesel which will likely cost him even more.

You'd really have to wonder how the hell did someone become a senior executive of a major Irish-based company with that sort of thinking.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

When briefly flirting with the idea of changing my Born, on paper it had lost 18k, 42k to 24k offered against a new born and also same figure offered against an id3.

However cost to change in both was 11k and 12k due to price drops.

I don't burst into tears like the fictional woman or run to the papers like the fictional executive who needs his identity protected for his own safety. I just said no thanks, not for me at this time, I have a perfect 22 car I'll be keeping.

It's an interesting study of media sensationalism and the drop in journalistic standards, also of consumer behaviour and sentiment, I'm more interested in that than the actual cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭gussieg

smokin in movies and tv, no eco products for sale since christmas, trump doonbeg ads on the radio, breitbart twitter aka x, this is 1920s 1930s all over again. those who do not know their real history, and learn from it, are doomed doomed doomed i tell you.

check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,764 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Fictional woman now posting on a different thread. Doesn't really ring true there either. But it possible they didn't do any research beforehand, and are unwilling to look for an app to find a charger on route or nearby.

The quality of media articles has been poor for a long time. They are chasing the click bite audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I dont see that the brand being Tesla is relevant to the story, if it was a Volvo would they have bothered

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭denismc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

im sure it was about to, lucky it fell into the sea just in case

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

EV drivers should be careful around dangerous currents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Showing yet another reason not to go EV. I once had a diesel, and it floated 800km in a day. /s

😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭creedp

So what minimum range do you think an EV should have for someone with a 50km commute who has kids needing transporting all over the place in the evenings and weekends together with family weekends away, holidays, etc, etc?

I have a degraded Leaf with only 80km range during the winter or even less in very cold and windy weather. It's a pain in the ass for me as I can't even do 2 return trips of 20kms in a single day without having to top up.

I've no issue with EVs and will be replacing the Leaf with an EV of decent range. But I do find it irrating when people constantly argue that anyone with a short commute is just being a contrarion if they claim a short range EV doesn't suit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭josip

Realworld range of 400km in summer needed I think, but everyone's needs are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I would have to stop between A and B at present to charge though

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

And that I why I dislike our government, why cant they promote usage of the correct vehicle for the job rather than the bullshit they come out with and we'll all be happy

That's my position also but unlike others I'm not going to berate others who think a much lower range EV suits them. I'm contemplating holding onto my old Leaf as a local run around for kids to learn to drive in but don't consider it a functional car for my needs even as a 2nd car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭quokula

I said nothing about a short range EV. Every EV on the market has comfortably enough range for your use case. An older degraded Leaf is pretty much the only EV in existence that would struggle. I wasn't talking about ancient Nissan Leafs, I was talking about people who say 400km isn't enough range because they need to drive from Donegal to Cork without stopping every other day and this kind of nonsense. Yes, there are some people who genuinely drive that much without stopping (and I don't envy them or their bladder), but for the vast majority of people, including the usage you described, almost every EV that is on sale today has enough range to comfortably cover them for 99% of their journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

My thing about EV's is we have crossed into iPhone territory. You buy an EV today it feels like its obsolete in 12 months, the new model will have a bigger battery and faster charging. I expect Apple and Samsung to start making cars next, a car is just a piece of tech now, no longer an example of precision mechanical engineering.

Would you buy a 10 year old iPhone? So I don't see the 2nd hand EV market holding much value, past a few years.

This is all before you even get into the ecosystem damage that mining for lithium to make massive batteries is creating

No every EV on the market does not have sufficient range for my needs, unless you're saying that I should buy a new one. This is the kind of statement I find irrating at times. I've suffered the pita of a low range EV and when I'm replacing it will be a 400km+ range car. I'm sure I'm not the only person with this criterion. I'm also sure there are many who would be more than happy with a lower range car. Personal choice is good.

• Advertisement

An early leaf is extremely limited in use case it's irrelevant to an discussion on EVs in 2024. Even as an example. The tech has moved on.

I would want to be able to all daily driving on one charge. So that one overnight charge is enough.

If I was doing longer trips on a regular basis, like down the country at the weekend. I would want to be able to do that on one charge. Perhaps I'd consider one quick fast charge on route. If it was my habit to stop for a break in an non EV.

One of the examples given was 7 hrs none stop perhaps twice in the same day. Diesel is the only choice for that. For me.

Advertisement