Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gript-A source of misinformation. **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

whatever about this latest controversy, Gript will be revelling in the attention they are getting.

They have a very good correspondent - Ben I think his name is?

By God he makes the politicians sweat when he steps up to question them.

Case in point - that Heather Humphreys interview recently - he exposed her as a right mug know nothing mediocrity. Worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

They can ask these questions as they aren't funded by the state.

The rest are bought and paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,053 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭gotaf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Their website is a bit vague on this, just saying that they are funded by “readers and supporters”. A Business Post article from 2019 claims that it was “funded by the Life Institute along with donations from anti-abortion supporters” at that time.

https://www.businesspost.ie/news-focus/pro-life-groups-fund-new-website-in-response-to-liberal-bias-in-mainstream-media/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

Heres Irish Times journalist kitty Holland telling the BBC that media get to decide what facts they should report. IE they decide what news people should be given

https://x.com/griptmedia/status/1730574048445317331?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 39,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

They have a very good correspondent - Ben I think his name is?

That it, like Prince or Cher?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If falsely accusing some random guy of stabbing children and then inventing a conspiracy theory to excuse it is the "other way", then no, let's not try it.

Anyone getting their "news" from Gript is a danger to the wider society, far more dangerous than your average immigrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Of course the media decide what they should report. You've heard of 'editors', right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's also the implication that Gript - maybe one of the most nakedly ideological media operations on the island, outside of maybe TheLiberal - is not choosing what to report and only offering up the straight, non-partisan facts. Their editorial decisions are entirely built around a particular ultra-conservative Christian agenda - even fans of theirs must recognise that!

• Advertisement

To bring in back onto the topic of thread, gript.

Gript do the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Hodger

Attitudes like Kitty has that people shouldn,t know of or hear about certain things is why some people are distrustful towards media outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭Acosta

I don't see gript as a valid current affairs source. They generally target a specific group of people, with stories tailor-made for right wing consumption. In many ways it's similar to The Daily Mail, but obviously on a much smaller scale. It's basically rage bait.

I could never take something seriously that's run by John Mcguirk, and features the likes of Fatima Gunning( of the Repeal jumper false flag fame) and former Irish Freedom Party candidates. It's basically Youth Defence news, under a different name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭applehunter

Full mea culpa from John McGuirk here.

Sarah Ryan made some great points re : Ireland's new liberalism in this.

She is very likable.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,766 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

TokTik threadbanned

The topic is Gript, not Deliveroo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭Augme

Lol, within the first 60 secs he states that "finally one of your stories makes the six one news and all we had to do to achieve that was to get something wrong." An amazing attitude to take givne the fact that the person he falsely identified needed Garda protection.

He really doesn't give a ****. 😂

I couldn't make it far in that, maybe just me but the sibilance (?) was too much. A poor podcast setup maybe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,828 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I see my policy of not clicking on video dumps once again validates itself.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,766 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Gatling threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

Principle 8 of the Press Council Code Of Conduct squarely backs her up.

Ryan Casey's impact statement incited hatred against immigrants by the far right. He may not have meant to do this, but that's exactly what happened. His words were used as justification. Without Ryan Casey's exceptionally bad and stupid choice of words being reported, Conor McGregor very likely doesn't announce "we are at war".

Kitty Holland has now been banned from Twitter. Seems standing up for reality and for decency and responsible reporting is an automatically bannable offence for rabid racist Elon Musk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Yeah, yeah, because all the rest of the neo-liberal media outlets in this country wouldn't dream of selecting what and what not to report, would they?

Oh wait..... they did it two weeks ago when they left out a certain section of Ryan Casey's victim impact statement that the man had every single right to say.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Gript massively fucked up. They will get sued, and will almost certainly have to give a big payout. If true that the source was a serving member of AGS, that is just as big a story, but seems to be getting ignored by most media outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

They want rid of gript but they don't want to cut off their nose to spite their face.

They all seem to get plenty of info from the cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,437 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They seem to but they are real journalists who will go to prison to protect their sources unlike gript who outright threw a Garda under the bus now as he would have signed a state official secrets act and now Garda headquarters will be investigating to find out which member broke that act.

They also have very publicly told all there sources they will not protect them if the sh1t hits the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭applehunter

With a name like chopperbyrne you would think you wouldn't be so naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I checked for you Boggles - his name is Ben Scallan - he’s head and shoulders better than any of the Montrose mafia.

Politicians start sweating and grimacing (the more Irish term would be “sh1tting themselves”) when they realise he is asking the next question - watch his interviews - you will enjoy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Never suggested anything of the sort. Merely noting the utterly nonsensical and potentially disingenuous implication the rest of the media is ‘selectively reporting’ and that Gript is somehow above that, because they’re on another side of the ideological spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Surely it's a good thing that a media outlet like Gript can exist here. I know they have some rather strange views on certain topics, and have an agenda, but it is refreshing to read things that are not a cut n paste of every other newspaper in the country.

I've often felt that MSM in this country is all singing from the same hymn sheet when to comes to the topics du jour. Little room for an opposing view that tilts against the Government/woke line really and that can frustrate people since they often feel their views aren't being listened to.

So where there is a vacuum something will fill it. The MSM do not like Gript because they are covering things that other media wouldn't touch with a bargepole purely because it is not following the right "agenda".

Free speech is just that, not what the Government want us to hear with our fingers in our ears blocking out anything that even vaguely opposes the received wisdom of our "betters".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Gript are just doing what the rest of the media propagandists have been successfully doing on the other scale of the ideological spectrum for years.

Monkey see, monkey do. A bit late to start noting it now.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

I decided to do a small experiment. I typed in the name of the woman brutally murdered near Tullamore in September this year (the woman was named publicly) to see what came up on Gript.

Nothing.

By comparison Ashling Murphy's name brings up 1,050 results.

I wonder could this just possibly have to do with the fact they can't make anti-immigrant capital out of the murder of Lorna Woodnutt because the only suspect is white Irish, not an immigrant.

Who knows.

Advertisement