Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gript-A source of misinformation. **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭gotaf

What would you say his best interview is? I'd check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,928 ✭✭✭suvigirl

He did get his say, he made his victim impact statement in open court. No idea why you think media have to report all victim impact statements. Very rare in all honesty

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭applehunter

This case struck a chord. I remember the young women I work with were completely freaked out when it happened.

She was the idyllic beautiful young woman that every man dreams of.

Murdered in daylight as she went for a run.

Even in 2023 when murder in Ireland is greeted with a shrug, this one will stick in people's memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

the man had every single right to say.

Not to nitpik, but that's not true:

You should not include your thoughts about the offender or tell the judge what sentence you think the offender deserves. This is because it is for the judge alone to decide on what sentence is appropriate. 

Making a Victim Impact Statement (Office of the DPP)

You are completely disingenuous. Read their "ABOUT US" link https://gript.ie/about/

It's horrifying that that murder of Lorna Woodnutt happened, but that is nothing to do with Gript's remit.

They probably have 4/5 staff members and the rest of the contributors are independent contractors/voluntary contriburors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

That's rich. The entire neo-liberal media were at pains to give their thoughts about the potential offender, literally the day after the woman was stabbed repeatedly in the neck, and they weren't connected to the victim in any way shape or form.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

One woman is brutally murdered by an immigrant in Tullamore. 1,050 results.

Another woman is brutally murdered by a white Irish person in Tullamore. 0 results.

And you think I'm disingenuous?

I know what is Gript is about. Normalising the far right. Denying the far right exists. Framing stories to whip up the far right into a frenzy.

Propaganda.

Gript are cowards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I think distrust of the media is a real problem now. There has always been those who gave out about RTE at every opportunity but it’s more than that now.

When journalists say they that certain things should or shouldn’t be reported, this feeds into the narrative that RTE, IT, Independent etc are all government mouthpiece’s. And reduces trust further.

A lot of things go around WhatsApp and other social media and that is where many get their ‘news’ from. Aka unverified and possibly BS. However, people believe it more then they believe MSM.

Even my older relatives no longer trust RTE and they have watched it for decades and it was always their primary news source.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭Augme

People belive it because they agree with it and they then feel validated for their opinion. That's what makes social media so great for these people, they can find like minded idiots who make them feel like geniuses.

Mainstream media does the opposite, it completely goes against what they think and they then feel stupid. No one enjoys feeling stupid.

John McGuirk: "Demagoguing Ashling Murphy's murder to blame "men" is deeply wrong."

Also John McGuirk: We will demagogue Ashling Murphy's murder and any other crime we can find committed by an immigrant to blame immigration. And we will be utterly fcuking shameless in doing so.

• Advertisement

I don’t understand your point? The media weren’t making a victim impact statement, they were editorialising, same as every media outlet does on any event, including Gript.

Honestly I don’t know where anyone gets the impression that the media are supposed to report on the facts or question this, that or the other. The media have never done that, they’ve always been biased. Children learn about that sort of stuff in school, have done since I was in school over 20 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

A propaganda outlet, like Gript, designed to rile up the worst of society is not a "good thing".

Beats the hell out of me tbh, certainly nobody who gets their news from Gript has any interest in facts! 😳

It's funny, me, defending Grift, because I actually think they are very tame as an outlet in the circumstances we in Ireland are living through.

They have a pro-zionist agenda that I am completely against and IMO they are a bullwork against a genuine nationalist movement.

Gript was established during the "Repeal" referendum.

This was very disillusioning for a third of the country on this issue. Every media outlet in the country used their editorial line to push abortion to Ireland. Naively the pro-life side of the argument had been working diligently for years in the background on real life solutions, while the pro-choice side had been building up their forces through the NUG in every graduate that came out journalism school in DCU.

Gript was launched in midst of that compaign.

In saying that;

They are punching well above their weight in the last year.

If nothing else, they have shone a light on the cosy cabal of media, politics, NGOs and the legal industry that feed off each other to the detriment of the Gael.

RTE etc. go manic over the dangers of "Far Right", climate change, gender representation on boards, the gay agenta etc (official Ireland proplems)

Gript will pick up their slack.(there's plenty of it)

Post edited by applehunter on

You literally just said you don't expect the media to report on the facts, so whatever problem you have with Gript for not doing it either, beats the Hell out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,255 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The RTE agenda that you refer to is pretty much the agenda of most people in the country : climate change, Israel is in the wrong, the idea that the far right are complete wasters and reactionary bigots, gender representation on boards, gay rights, the right to abortion etc.

To suggest that this agenda is being pushed by a cosy 'elite' of leftie liberal luvvies in government and the media plus NGOs is ignoring that it represents the thinking of most Irish people - look at the parties they vote for. Gript is catering to a relatively small minority in comparison.

Before we lose track of what’s what here, it’s YOU who clearly has an issue with what you described as the ‘neo-liberal media’ not reporting on the facts, and seeing as this discussion is for the most part about Gript, they have a far greater issue with peddling bullshìt than what you describe as the ‘neo-liberal’ media.

Then you suggested “facts, who wants that?”, to which I responded with the comment that certainly nobody who gets their news from Gript has any interest in facts. I don’t have any issue with Gript not reporting on the facts, I just don’t consume their content, same option is available to anyone who has an issue with however an event is reported on, whether it’s the tabloids, the broadsheets, online, whatever are doing it. You don’t like how the media reports on an event or editorialises - you’re not forced to watch it, listen to it, read it, consume it, whatever.

It’s why for example I wouldn’t be interested in paying a €10/month subscription to Gript to read Scallan’s latest hot take on An Post offering menopause advice to male staff members -

https://gript.ie/an-post-offering-menopause-advice-to-male-staff-members/

Can just click on the link in the first paragraph and read the policy for myself if I was that interested, and completely avoid the manufactured outrage for entertainment sake 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Erm, what news story have they actually broken? What investigative piece has turned out to be of any importance?(I'm doubtful they've even done anything investigative tbh) Their biggest moment in Irish journalism appears to be endangering the well being of an entirely innocent man.... The ditch has managed more than them and they're pretty much bottom feeders...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Have to concur with most of this. I don’t tend to read Gript very much, but I did see the video today, where Kitty Holland, esteemed journalist from the ‘paper of record’, implied that the grieving Ryan Casey is guilty of a hate crime.

What a despicable wretch she is. Frankly, if she is representative of her employer’s editorial stance, it’s gratifying to see an organisation like Gript serve as a fly in their ointment.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭growleaves

People forget now or never knew but the Irish media was much more varied in the past. The Irish Press, the Irish Independent, the Cork Examiner (later Irish Examiner) and the Irish Times were all dissimilar and separate papers.

When Conor Brady (Irish Times editor in the mid-1980s) took charge of the IT, people who said he was taking the paper in a more uniformly liberal direction were accused of engaging in "conspiracy theory". How does that accusation look now?

The ideological monopoly prevailing in Ireland now is artificial and brittle. Though the Irish Establishment is obsessed with social media, I think social media is only an incidental factor. The late Soviet Union based its political control on a total information monopoly but still fell. Different ideas came to people spontaneously, as Vaclav Havel noted of the Czech youth.

So where does the Irish establishment's idea that information control translates directly to political control? I think it probably comes from reading George Orwell, who was (is?) on the Leaving Cert syllabus. His novels and journalism revolve around this idea. But he did not live long enough to see the later Era of Stagnation Soviet Union of Brezhnev, Andropov onwards falter and then crumble.

No Jack, You said you don't care about facts. "Honestly I don’t know where anyone gets the impression that the media are supposed to report on the facts"

That's what YOU said.

You brought it up. I know every single media source these days is a useless, biased, ideological driven propaganda source, whether it be Gript or any other media script.

But you literally don't care that ANY of them don't report facts. That's what real journalism was supposed to be about. Not the endless editorial opinion pieces $hitshow it has become and has thoroughly damaged all western journalism to go along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭growleaves

'gender representation on boards'

Yes I want Beasty replaced by a woman or non-binary. Gender representation on boards now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The disturbing thing, in my opinion, is that the extreme left and the extreme right have used recent incidents in the last two years (plus change) to sort of 'rankle the masses'.

How many times have we heard 'A watershed moment' in the last two years? Katie Hannon used it in relation to the Dublin riots. It was used in the tragic murder of Ms Murphy. Yet the media went silent when her murderer was arrested and charged. Could not blame one gender fast enough for the crimes of an individual. Katie Hannon even had a one hour special 'to teach men to be decent'. (Then a security guy rugby tackled a woman who came on to protest Gaza/ Palestine. Hard to tell- the audio was cut).

Yet the likes of Gript took the other approach-blaming an entire group of people for the murder of Ms Murphy. Both were reprehensible. I cannot tell you how many family members whose lives were saved by immigrants to this country. I'm not going to lump them in with one sinister individual. But that the media claimed her fiancee's victim impact statement 'would stir up hatred' and so wasn't printed/ aired fully is quite sinister too. Especially in light of 'hate speech' laws which sound far more like 'censorship' laws.

It doesn't help that the Irish Times had to admit to publishing an A.I written article. And we're going to see less and less trust in the media nowadays, with the advent of A.I generated images. And with those images, it can be very easy to rile up the masses with an image that's completely fabricated. And I can see both left and right resorting to dirty tactics.

I am no fan of John McGuirk. But the unfortunate thing is he is very media savvy. I've seen him be interviewed on VM1, and RTE, and he knows exactly how to get folks on his side. But so many mistakenly help 'make' him the victim, usually by cutting him off if he's speaking, which he points out. He's also one of those 'broken clock' types. Makes a valid point every now and then, which he then uses as a 'well what else is he telling the truth about?'. And as others have noted, the last two years of Covid and lockdown has created a large swathe of angry, unhappy individuals. And they latch on very quickly to the likes of McGuirk.

Stall on there a minute - I never said I didn’t care about the facts. For what it’s worth, I do, and it’s for this reason I avoid mainstream media and journalism which has never concerned itself with facts. It’s the IMPRESSION that the media should only report on the facts has me perplexed, because I don’t imagine I had a particularly extraordinary education that I could be the only person who learned about media studies in English class at secondary school level! I have no explanation as to how you might have missed out.

This line of discussion only started because you made a claim which isn’t supported by the facts in stating that the individual in question had every right to say what they said in their victim impact statement. This simply isn’t true, and I provided a source which detailed as much.

Then you went on an entirely different tangent about how the neo-liberal media were at pains to give their thoughts about a potential offender - absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that victims don’t have every right to give their opinion on the offender in a victim impact statement which has been prepared for the Courts.

So now you do care about facts? Jayzus Jack, you do more flip flopping than the council member from Limerick. Why did the majority of the Irish media literally censor what Ryan Casey had to say then? What he said was his fact, they had no problem re-counting the rest of the statement which was also his fact.

The problem here is that when selective news outlets, especially the most prolific ones, pick and choose an ideological angle from selected facts instead of the total fact. "Journalists" that hang on to an angle and cling to it based on some ideological belief, well, that journalism is flawed. It becomes an opinion piece. An opinion piece is not real journalism. Journalism was always supposed to be the fifth column, the people charged with holding the establishment to account. Not to spout opinions. When you solely spout an editorial opinion then your journalism becomes a flaw. That flaw seeps down into the wider community who consume the media, and they know its flawed, they're not stupid, because they may have different opinions. They, we, want the facts. All the facts, as nasty as they may be. And when we don't get them anymore, then something is rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,654 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

When you say "implied that the grieving Ryan Casey is guilty of a hate crime", that's the bit you just made up, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,654 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The electorate of Dublin South seemed to disagree about her likability.

• Advertisement

98% of Gript's content is opinion designed to benefit the far right.

Advertisement