Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gript-A source of misinformation. **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,690 ✭✭✭buried

His life is in danger because he was up on a KNIFE CHARGE.

What could be lesson here? Maybe don't be up on a f**king KNIFE CHARGE.

Good love the poor cratur, when's the f**king vigil for yer man anyways? Is it after the one for the bus and the two Luas trams?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

He has a history of being "careless" with his claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It took me 2 minutes to find that out coming from other Irish Media sources, the hardest part is Looking for Algerian asylum cases brings up a number of articles from criminal court cases involving Algerian asylum seekers

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This episode shows exactly why media organisations should await formal confirmation. We had posters here trying to repeat what Gript reported

The Guards were trying to stop everything escalating last Thursday, but the rumour mongers decided that everyone had a right to know everything. Well I'm sorry, but those impacted have some rights here, but random members of the public can await formal confirmation of what happened rather than trying to ignite disruption in the way Gript seemed hell-bent on doing

• Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sorry alluded to an individual who was named then on social media

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

I agree with you, but I think the problem is that it seems to many people, not just the far right types looking to sow division, that the Irish media downplays certain stories that don’t suit the generally accepted narrative. The Sligo homophobic murders is a pretty recent example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Comfortable? It's their sole reason for existence.

100%. The amount of posts here that claim some right to the information & accusations of suppression in the Gardai and the media.

There’s not very much information that hasn’t been shared I would imagine. What information isn’t being shared is likely critical to the investigation and can’t be shared this is completely normal.

With just a week after the incident it’s not feasible for much more news because two of the victims and the sole suspect are currently recovering from serious injuries in hospital.

It’s like there’s this outrage he hasn’t been sentenced to life already but at this stage he isn’t even formally under arrest. I completely get the demand for justice but Jesus at least give the victims time to recover somewhat never mind the one accused.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Are you serious? Do you really think that just because the actual suspect is in hospital that the innocent person who was mis-identified as the culprit and who’s name was being bandied around far-right social media accounts would be in no danger, and it should all be just shrugged off as normal media shenanigans?

There were riots last week because of this awful stabbing. Private business ransacked. Public transport burnt out. What makes you think the perpetrators and instigators are suddenly going to start acting rationally now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

The "nonchalant responses" are because Gript's cretinous/hateful market doesn't care about the truth and approve of them telling lies.

Gript themselves intimately know their market and know they'll swallow any oul' shlte, as we see on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The stupidest of far right believe that it never happened

The level of slightly less stupid believe the rioters were planted

Then there's those who think the child died last week and the parents have been threatened with jail if they tell anyone (I'd love to know the charges)

So no , it's not beyond the realms that the idiots would attack some random lad named on Twitter without thinking "jaysus he looks great for a lad who was in a coma last week"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

So boards posters on this thread want the Algerian assailant to be misidentified so that a different Algerian man can be blamed instead?

Why do they want that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

The libel laws in Ireland are quite severe from media organisations that that get it wrong. RTE, Irelands public service broadcaster has had to settle a number of claims over the years when they libelled individuals. Gript are subject the the same laws and penalties.

Last weeks riots caught attention of world-wide media and have shown abroad in places I would not expect to see them. Its even been noticed in France where the circumstances of the murder of a 16 year old has the French establishment on edge.   As a consequence of the international coverage Irelands governing establishment have been severely embarrassed, are now looking for scapegoats.

There are parallels with George Floyds killing and later conviction of the police involved. Even though that happened in a foreign jurisdiction, it led to protests and property damage by the "far left" in Britain and Ireland. In the United States it led to mass looting in some areas where businesses of immigrants were burned to the ground and the subsequent widely publicised trial and acquittal of Kyle Rittenhouse. That sequence of events did not happen in a vacuum, it had its own underlying causes.

There are a number of issues that have been building and have not been addressed by successive governments. If you take this years events alone, the issues below have been making headlines.  These issues have seen the minister for justice, the minister for integration and minister for housing in the media spotlight throughout the year.

1. Lawlessness in Dublin city center has been a problem for several years and in particular this year with the well publicised attacks on tourists. 
    2. The attacks on migrant encampments in Dublin city center.
    3. The recent conviction of Josef Puska for the murder of Aisling Murphy.
    4. The issue of migrant centers appearing in short timeframes across the country.
    5. Lack of and price of accommodation. 

Last week, the suspect who stabbed the children, did so in an atmosphere that has been amped up by both Irish media and politicians over the course of many months and years.  The perception, rightly or wrongly, by people bearing the cost of migration is the current Irish government is incompetent in their handling of the matter and have let the issue of both inward migration and crime get out of control. The riots did not happen in a vacuum, an article by Gript did not lead to the riots and property destruction that opportunists seize on when such chaos breaks out.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,912 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Your post makes no sense. Maybe read what we are discussing?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Are you under the impression that the issue is that they identified the suspect?

No.

The issue is that they identified another person who is not the suspect. An innocent person.

What "media reported an Irish person killed Aisling Murphy"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭Augme

They are maybe happy to see any brown person get attacked? Maybe that was gripts motivation too?

Gript put up a story. Users on X googled and traced the persons name. His name was spread widely on X. Story turned out fake/false. Persons life is in danger. Scum of the earth "journalists"

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

It is VERY uncommon to identify a suspect before being charged. It is unprecedented to identify the wrong person as a suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Gript.ie and media from Europe(which ive switched to recently to get some proper news on our country) are valuable sources of news as they are reporting stories that the government or vested interests prevent our other media from reporting.

Yes, it has slipped up but government run media & vested interest influenced media(every other media in the country) are loving this as a means to discredit it, but they received incorrect info from figures in AGS(whether deliberate or otherwise will be for a court to decide and they will name the figure).

If you are relying on other Irish media to report anything of consequence in this country then I've got a bridge to sell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

Or maybe Gript made a mistake? Hence the embarrassing climbdown with McGuirk having to admit he messed up and now possibly facing a lawsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Similar to RTE so in what they did to Fr Reynolds.

Scum of the earth as you say yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭nachouser

It's the typical mealy-mouthed way to go about it - "I'm not saying it's this guy... but it's this guy."

Same as the Limerick thread - "I'm not saying it's because he's brown... but it's because he's brown."

On journalism: "If someone says it's raining, and another person says it's dry, it's not your job to quote them both. Your job is to look out the **** window and find out which is true." -Sally Claire

They're supposed to validate and crosscheck information received, and not believe everyone who comes knocking on their door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Which they did and explicitly said they double checked info.

You're welcome to "trust" rte/theJournal/irish times etc. for filtering the news that they deem you shouldn't know.

I and I'm sure many others want all the news, not what media have deemed I'm only allowed to see.

Your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭archfi

"We are investigating the circumstances of this error, including giving due consideration to the question of whether this media outlet was deliberately deceived by a senior justice official. If we determine that to have been the case, then our obligation to protect the anonymity of those sources will be considered forfeit.'

Senior Justice official, not a Garda source.

That sounds like the story was sourced at the AGS and subsequent checking/confirmation was done through a source in McEntee's dept.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah AFAIK "My Deep Throat led me astray" is not a defence against defamation, although J-Mac is desperately trying to spin it that way

Our reporting was sourced from trusted individuals who have never provided Gript Media with false or misleading information before - indeed they have an excellent track record and played a critical role in bringing a number of important issues to light.

It was also cross-checked with a trusted official.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

This won't have any bearing on fans of Gript and McGuirk .. the fact that Gript will feed them with disinformation is irrelevant and the typical grift reader wants to hear this disinformation to re-enforce their own views and cement the victim mentality

even their ham fisted attempt at an apology was turning themselves in to the victim not the innocent person they have put in danger

Advertisement