Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The inaugural PK Late Late Toy Show-24/11/23

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

What was clear last night is how PK is much more at ease with himself than his predecessor was.

Tubridy gave off a sort of desperate, nervous energy. I don’t think he was self confident in that role, he was preoccupied with how he was being perceived and to that end he overthought everything. He was never actually in the moment. PK was the opposite last night.

I’m fairly certain that Ryan had massive narcissist tendencies that were battling intense feelings of self doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Field east

Overall, it was a solid performance by PK. I found the show to be nicely balanced between the range of activities.Some comment s re improving it : -

(1) I felt that he did too much talking at the beginning - you were left wondering when is the toy show is going to really start.

(2) since the show was supposed to be about toys - and especially when PK was presenting toys, -then why did the Cameraman focus most of the time on PK when the 4 wheelers were being shown? PK could have been making the same commentary about each ‘vehicle’ while out of camera shot and while the camera was focusing MORE on the vehicles and their drivers

(3) I think during the introductions at the beginning he mentioned about all the surprises that were coming up. I felt that the surprises would have been more of a surprise when they happened and if we were not told about them. Apart from that they worked very, very well

(4) re the 3 reviewing the books, the boy on the left went through his books too fast and again the camera did not get the time needed for the viewers to catch some of the titles. There might also have been a lighting problem.

(5) the only toy that was ‘a stand alone’ and you knew what exactly it was about was that thing that went around and you jumped over it. OK there might have been one or two others like the horse/horse box.

(6) re the range /type of toys. The whole area - especially the tables - looked very clustered with toys. I think the set would work better with fewer toys and time given to the children to demonstrate how they work. Apart from the singing/ dancing, the ‘unique selling point’ of the toy show is to observe How the proverbial 5 yo explain s IN THEIR OWN WORDS’ how something works/ does not work while throwing in comments that might have nothing to do with the toy. That mullet headed Clare lad was a classical example of the type of toy show demonstrator that the show needs

(7) The organisers should keep in mind the following two points . (a) keep in mind the cost of the toys and families being able to afford them or otherwise. (b ) the size of the toys and where are they going to fit in the house - . Maybe the theme for the next toy show might be along the lines if promoting inexpensive toys

(8) PK ‘calm / quiet/monotones/unexciting voice is not ideally suited to the toy show. He could of course work on it for the next show or failing that if he lets the children talk more

Please do’nt see the the above as criticism. They are being made with a view to improving the show and they are only my opinions - through the eyes of a 65+ yo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭TokTik

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

PK was great but was a bit monotone at times. That direct take away from him doing a great show. I loved that the little girl demonstrating the dance jump thing was hyperactive and just went nuts but PK stayed in the moment and let her stay there and moved on himself. No grabbing her and pushing her aside. I thought it was very respectful to the child.

Camerawork was a bit amateur surprisingly. When they launched the LLS appeal I was kind of left wondering if it was intentional to show the member of production staff in the box. I figured at tge time it was but that it ruined the magic. Then later with the reveal of the Australian family I revised and thought the box reveal was just another fück up.

Lived Joe the kids were let be kids. There were a few with obvious disabilities but it wasn’t mentioned which is as it should be. I was delighted that the little girl with leukaemia wasn’t bright in as a dancing pony to tell us how sad living with leukaemia is. Some of these kids are probably living with basis issues or disabilities they have to deal with the year long. The LLTS should be a night where they get to enjoy being a kid and have any of that other crap pushed out of the mind for a while. In that I think PK succeeded very well. He was respectful and kind and didn’t have any agenda and thinking back he kind of blended into the scenery so you remember the kids more than him which is as it should be.

Final thought, just showing the books was great without Tubbs pontificating about all the great Irish authors. Irish Authors are doing very well for themselves and don’t need any help from him. Also none of the usual dross about wooden toys. Tubbs was big into those and I do realise they are great but I don’t think a lot of kids might agree these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

To those who played the Toy Show drinking game, I hope that hangover is gone by now :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Feck off with comments like this, honestly.

The guy gave personal opinion/constructive criticism

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

I’ve just watched some of it again. I haven’t done that in years 😄. Well done to Patrick and the children who took part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭hamburgham

His brother the surgeon is obviously bright so maybe he always felt inferior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Field east

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

What is a DLB?

• Advertisement

You are ridiculous. Ryan Tubridy is not certainly NOT the master of the Late Late Show. Even if Tubridy was a fantastic television presenter and an amazing interviewer (he is neither) he would not be a patch on Gay Byrne.

Yeah I can’t even say I’d be an avid viewer but to suggest Tubirdy is a better television presenter than Gay Byrne.. even Pat Kenny was more tolerable ffs. 🤣

Master of LLS.. give me strength

It was the initials of a moniker for Ryan Tubridy that posters used here a lot, Dirty Little B******* or similiar. Like him or not it was nasty. Thankfully a lot of the crowd who came here for nothing only to spew bile seem to have moved on.

Was this nickname because of the “financial irregularities” or from before all that?

He was terrible at the job and very few Siemens to have liked him. I know many people who would have it on a Friday night but not actually watch it so I have no idea how he got paid so much. And to think Gaybo lost so much of his well earned money twice is just so unfair. Yes I know he was by in the poor house as a result - not the point.

Anyway I don’t mention to ho off topic, just needed to get that off my chest. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Not true.

Rhys Ifans referred to him as a "dainty little bugger" in jest during an interview on the Late Late.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

That posters something we can't mention here but begins with a t.

I think it goes way beyond that.

I mean it boggles the mind that a person can create such a thought even if they don’t believe it:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

All their posts are in that vein. Cant take anything they say on face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Appears that PK is already more successful than the Toyman.

His 1st toy show had 200,000 more viewers than Tubs' last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Congrats to PK.....devastating figures for his predecessor to see....

...I wonder is Kielty now the "most trusted man in Ireland"?...

........and does he now have a "special relationship with the children of Ireland"?

No....only a very sick mind would come up with such talk......

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

Ah ok. I stand corrected.

I didn't know how it originally started, but I'm pretty sure he was more often referred to by the more offensive version as time went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

You just can't stop trolling doc.

Everything you post is nonsense, and just shows that you're the oddball

Advertisement