Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The inaugural PK Late Late Toy Show-24/11/23

Options
  • 18-11-2023 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭

Arguably for some, the last fella’s highest point, and for others, yet another demonstration of his narcissistic nature-the Toy Show is about to land in our collective laps like a reheated Chinese take out for yet another year.

Splitting this out into a separate thread as it generally excites a good deal of interest (and unfortunately for the moderators, no small element of trolling-less so this year, we can but hope).

Advance apologies for the paywall, but I’ll post a few excerpts: https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio/2023/11/18/patrick-kieltys-first-late-late-toy-show-all-those-workplace-tensions-will-be-put-aside/

Looks like it won’t be just the GB/PK1 style Christmas jumper…

”Frustratingly, Kielty is allowed to say little about what viewers should expect by way of themes or costumes or dance numbers. “I definitely will be ditching the normal suit. The costume department have been working hard – there’s been the odd inside-leg measurement. There’ll be singing, I’m dancing, so let’s see,” he says. “I don’t want to overpromise and underdeliver. That’s what’s terrifying.”

““I think my take on it has to be the joke’s on me…The kids are the star of the show,” he says. One of his best and earliest memories of watching the Toy Show as a kid is of seeing Byrne squirt a water pistol into the audience. That’s the kind of atmosphere Kielty wants to create. “It’s that thing where the kids are in charge. Coming in and doing your first show, my whole feeling is, you know, okay, guys, how do we do this? That’s what I’m hoping for. There’s a lot of moving parts and lots of best-laid plans on the night, but I don’t think you can try and make it too polished. You’ve got to roll with the punches. And go and have fun.” Just don’t bother asking him for tickets.

The Late Late Toy Show is on RTÉ One and RTÉ Player at 9.35pm on Friday, November 24th”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

I predict it’ll be just like Tubbs shows really. Mainly because we expected big changes when PK took over the regular she bit really ask that’s gone I’d the misery slot. Otherwise after watching the first crew episodes it’s just business as usual but with a better presenter so I’m expecting similar on Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The Billy Barries will be singing. I'd put money on it.

I just hope there are some actual toys on it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

It’s an online outrage high point for lots of boring middle-aged men. The sort of chaps who will take to Twitter to complain there isn’t enough toys, that there’s a kid who might be trans, that there’s a child whose parents were immigrants, that the kids taking part in musical numbers can’t sing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

The Late Late Toy Show is a little bit anachronistic in an era where kids don't really care about toys any more. Or the ones who do care about toys are toddlers and not the 7-12 year olds the Toy Show usually tries to appeal to.

That's the obvious reason why the LLTS went into more of a "singing and dancing" direction over the past fifteen years or so, kids spend all of their times on their phones instead of playing with toys, though the usual cribbers and moaners will naturally believe it's because of the former host's failed child star dreams. As if.

I wish PK nothing but the best, but his predecessor's turn as Santa Claus of the Nation was nothing less than iconic. Kielty will have some teething problems I'm sure but in a few years he will be knocking it out of the park, I'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

How come this poster is constantly allowed to be a dick and troll????

The Dr has been at this for years

• Advertisement

Not having kids myself I suppose Im out of touch, but you are right. The entire toy industry has changed dramatically in the past decade and the types of toys kids get or are interested in are nolonger the kinds that can be showcased easily on the TV.

I was in the shop during the week and overheard part of a conversation between two presumebly neighbours. I caught "And whats Santy bringing?", and the child who can't have been more than 10 said "A new phone".

Showcasing the latest in phones and playstations leaves an awful lot of time in a prime time TV spot so of course there has to be more singing and dancing.

I hadn't really thought of it until you said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Iconic in his own head and iconic via spin and PR, kids were bored after 20 mins

It was the most watched show in the country every year so I very much doubt that was the case.

Children’s creativity, imagination and learning is best brought out by tangible toys, ie ones you can touch, make sounds out of, build with, construct in 3D, draw & paint, simulate occupations like doctors’ sets, interact with, develop manual dexterity and negotiate the real world around you. People can take to tech any time, I was well able to learn the latter stuff in the second half of my life, having already having developed vital skills thanks to my parents having given me interactive toys and tons of plain Lego bricks I had to invent things out of, or as much as they could afford in the 60s.

I love when I see what children have created out of constructive toys on the LLTS. DJ decks, musical instruments and the likes are excellent too. The book segments are good, books of all kinds from pictures to words to suit everyone.

I don’t know if such exists anywhere, but an affordable 3-D printer of cheap materials would amount to a constructive hobby, where children would be able to design/print simple small 3D items, eg a paper airplane that they could then colour themselves. This is something that may become a readily available Santa item some day.

I’ll be very interested in seeing how Patrick handles it. One thing, he’s not afraid to be seen to try things out, and not in fear of failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Amazing too how he knows so much about the Toy show discussions for the last several years but yet has only been a member since September this year. Yes I know people lurk but given how keen he is to put this point across (It's also in the main LLS discussion) it's strange that he has waited this long to register.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Was in the car after picking one of the kids up yesterday evening. She told me that her teacher ‘had ruined the toy show for them’, I asked how and she replied that ‘she told us there’d be someone new presenting it’.

I told her that was right, Ryan Tubridy won’t be doing it this year. She said that her and all the kids in the class were upset over it as they all really liked ‘the other guy’ because ‘he was such fun’.

I told her that we should give the new guy a chance and that, while the show might not be as good, it will still be fun, and it’s what Ryan would want.

She, then, asked what happened to Ryan. I told her that he was earning a lot of money for the work he did and some people really didn’t like that. He also preached kindness to others which, again, some people didn’t like. I told her it wasn’t the first time in history that someone was persecuted for that.

Then, in the end, his employer paid him in an odd way and got a lot of “bad press” over it so he was forced out. I could tell she was getting a little upset but I told that Ryan had just signed up to a really big job for a big radio station in England so she was delighted with that.

She said she looking forward to the ‘Toy Show’ now and would give Kielty a go ‘even though he could never be as good as Ryan’.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 71,710 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Let’s do this!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,125 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I am expecting lots of pink toys, for Barbie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Thank fùck we dont have to suffer the coked up DLB this year....

Merry christmas one and all....

Good luck to Patrick Kielty, a genuine family man..unlike his predecessor....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 71,710 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Me, watching/judging Patrick’s first Toy Show tomorrow night…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

That's if it goes ahead guys...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Guys, the theme! He’s off to a winning start already, finally, an actual Christmas film!! I feel like applauding him!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be fair, PK only started talking about this years Toy Show about a week or two back.

Tubs would have been talking about it since Feb. Telling us how exhausted he was, and how he'll need to take a fortnight off to recharge.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What have the elves ever done for Christmas eh?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Will people really want to visit Dublin tonight? Especially with little kids in tow, I wouldn't.

RTE just can't catch a break these days. We have the worst street riots in Dublin in 100 yrs on the eve of its flagship show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭littlevillage

But wishing Patrick Kielty all the best on his first "TOY" Show. Lets hope they spend a bit of time on the Toys this year and less on junior Eurovision type musical numbers/misery stories/Charity collection/fundraising in the guise of competitions/ shameless product placement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭fluke

I know the Show is not in the Dublin city centre, but I almost think it would be wise to postpone it, as a mark of respect really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭fluke

Either/ both. Does it matter?

Is the appetite there given last night's events.

Kids get PlayStations, cloud subscriptions, mobile phones, bikes these days.

There simply isn’t enough content available to have kids talking about farm sets and plastic kitchens for 2 hours.

The show is about highlighting the creativity and personality of children.

Lads getting nostalgic about how it was different in their day aren’t the target market for this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭maximus15

Def an improvement having a Christmas theme at least this year . Hopefully returns to a Christmas themed show and plenty of toys like used to be for a long time .

Two hours of Little Timmy MuckSavage showing off his farm set and Cheeky Jack Een demonstrating his electric scooter doesn’t make for good TV. It will be sprinkled throughout the show of course, but it’s about the kids. Their stories, their singing, their dancing, their personalities.

I’d expect Kielty was able to go through his contact list and manage to convince a few high profile surprise guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Nice to jump in here for a bit of triviality and get away from that madness of last night.

Hope ye all enjoy the show

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

Seems a bit early to have the late late toy show. Next Friday the 1st of December seems more timely

• Advertisement
Advertisement