Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The inaugural PK Late Late Toy Show-24/11/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

6.5/10.

Certainly not bad, but a bit low energy. I know lots of oddballs and weirdos on the internet get their kicks from dissing Tubs, but he remains the master of the LLS.

Not bad, but we’ve seen better.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Loved how Patrick made out about the kids, and wasn’t constantly winking at the adult audience trying to make jokes under his breath. Made it about the kids and focused on the kids and that’s why it worked so well

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Best toy show in years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

The best thing about last night was that all the kids were just allowed to be just that, kids. Not one was defined by their illness or disability. That’s the way it should be.

I don’t remember the name of the girl in the wheelchair but I need to know the name of her hairdresser. I was having hair envy.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The camera and directing were awful. RTE really need to review all the mistakes and sort it out.

Constantly the wrong camera or camera angle.

What the hell was going on with the camera fogging up in the cinema for the outside bit? And cutting to the Australian family too soon for the big reveal? Not showing the books during the book slot.

These are all basic, and scripted, parts of the show. No excuse for such a poor job.

Obviously nothing to do with PK, he held up his side of the job but those behind the scenes let him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Exactly this. There was a bit more respect and dignity towards the kids. Our kids really enjoyed it, as did we to be fair. It didn't feel like an endurance for the first time in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

First LLS toyshow I've actually sat through, for the entirety, for a very very long time. The show wasn't perfect, the set design and production was a lot cheaper looking than Tubridys era. But on the positive it actually had kids with toys with no sob stories or saccharin bs, no overblown musical numbers with an overbearing host.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 DisgustedTunbridgeWells

The Toy Show has returned to its roots...ie a show about toys mostly. The balance has swung away from the presenter and back where it belongs with the focus on the children and the toys. It had become toy show the musical with the presenter as the star. Patrick Kielty managed well without adopting an OTT chaotic persona as seen in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Things have gotten a bit better, haven't they?

Awkward Lara Croft - Late Late Toy Show 99' - YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

OMG had to turn it off before the end, the cringe, the cringe!

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

In the aftermath of the Tubridy payments debacle I think RTE read the mood correctly this time and went with a toy show that was about toys, kids and Christmas.

And it worked.

Hopefully they'll keep it up next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

NK & his client must be crying in their cornflakes this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users Posts: 10,329 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Watched it in parts - overall thought it was less about the host and more about the kids and toys etc. Which is as it should be.

Don't think it's his natural habitat though. Probably was glad when done! If I had a criticism, it's that our Patrick is a bit monotone, one speed in his voice and level of engagement. Partic as night went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭TokTik

That’s the difference between him and RT. With RT the toy show was about him and him “comforting” sick kids. PK realised that the show wasn’t about sick kids or their illness, it was about kids being kids and being excited about Christmas, a time when, even for a few hours even, the excitement takes over from the illness and it’s forgotten about. Christmas should be about joy, not misery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

PK was yoo low on energy for my kids anyways, but I think that suits parents better! Not sure how people think it was back to being about toys, my kids saw nothing exciting and he wasted 10 mins on that pizza gag. And if Tubs had got emotional about holding your kids tighter because of recent events ye'd all have been passing a sick bucket around!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Much much better than Tubs. Not rushed, Kielty gave the kids a chance a talk. Everything under Tubs was rush rush rush.

Also, he didn't play up on issues. Tubs would try to tug at heart strings too often.

There is just a real liability to Kielty that Tubs doesn't have, and that was evident last night. Great show

Fell asleep halfway through will watch the rest later but what I saw was great and much better than Tub.

The kids weren’t rushed around and they were let take the centre stage. Tubirdy I feel needed constant reminding it’s not about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Tow

Tubs being the product is a result of the Noel Kelly management system.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Why are people that give any sort of criticism (surely that’s allowed) getting the dogs abuse here?

Honestly, different people have different tastes but the absolute tripe being spoken against any criticism is jarring…. *insert some stupid insult about being a Ryan Tubridy ‘fanboy’*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Most posters here have been saying that same thing year in year out ie where are the toys? Thank Christ they’re back and that idiot toyman has been retired for good

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Something I really liked about PK last night was how he actually engaged with the kids sincerely. Despite the time pressures and trying to spin 100 plates at once, you never saw him patronize them, hustle them along insensitively or constantly look behind the camera at a monitor or autocue. He had many different characters to manage there, kids of all ages and backgrounds and he handled it all with ease.

My two highlights being Sheamie with the mullet and the girl who they sent to Disneyland. That was such a opportunity to really lay on the virtue signaling with a trowel but it was avoided completely and she was allowed to just revel in the excitement of the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MikaHaka

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Camerawork was crap, and a lot of the toys were on tables with other stuff in front of them and you couldn’t see them properly. Maybe some overhead shots, like in cookery programmes might have helped.

The cars and bikes parade was very badly shot, the kids should have been told to go slow as we hardly got a look at the vehicles at all - my daughter loves these and was very disappointed she couldn’t see them properly.

I don’t think Ell-vess even knew who the real Elvis was - he only seemed to have one of The Kings’ moves practised.

But still a good show and infinitely better than the Tubs ME-fest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Best show in years. I know a lot of oddballs and weirdos on the Internet get their kicks from defending Tubs and the cronyism that will forever be associated with him but Kielty really is the master of the LLS. Self made man too.

Only Byrne was better, and thats only because he was so crotchety during it.

Advertisement