Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Debi : Mon 13th Nov 2023

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

More focused on the UK but good graphics and gives an indication for Ireland and sea crossings etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Possibly but it's a warning for mariners about the sea state before trawlers or set out etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭highdef

The roof of my house in Longford at the moment. Very much hoping that the worst of the winds pass to the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭downburst

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Those tiles won’t be there tomorrow I’d bet so I hope you have neighbours too close !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭highdef

Will be after dark before I can get to the house this evening. The slates are very old and large blue bangors. I can only hope that the worst of the winds pass to the south.

There's also the issue of the already precarious shed roofs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

Tie rope to the batten above the slates and run it tightly over the bundles down to the lower batten. Pro tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Status Red - Wind warning for Clare, east Galway, south Roscommon

• Extremely gusty on Sunday night and early Monday due to Storm Debi with potential danger to life.
    • Possible impacts:
    • - Damage to exposed and vulnerable structures
    • - Disruption to services and transport
    • - Significant power outages
    • - Fallen trees/branches
    • Valid: 03:00 Monday 13/11/2023 to 05:00 Monday 13/11/2023
    • Issued: 15:00 Sunday 12/11/2023

Status Red - Wind warning for Offaly, Westmeath

• Extremely gusty on Sunday night and Monday due to Storm Debi with potential danger to life.
    • Possible impacts:
    • - Damage to exposed and vulnerable structures
    • - Disruption to services and transport
    • - Significant power outages
    • - Fallen trees/branches
    • Valid: 05:00 Monday 13/11/2023 to 07:00 Monday 13/11/2023
    • Issued: 15:00 Sunday 12/11/2023

Red warnings now issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭finlma

Warning gone to red for some areas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Red warnings have just been issued, I think it's because of over night hours and I can feel that it's gonna be noticed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

East Galway yet the red covers Galway as well confusing to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I really hope they are exageratting a bit in the name of safety.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Really taking heed of what the ECM, HARMONIE, UKMO HD and their own model obviously pointing that way, will see if there is a further update on rainfall predictions. AROME just coming out now. Need to keep an eye on Meath and Louth yet and see if there is any further change of track for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

You'd assume this won't be the last of the red warnings. Would expect them to go further east as well

Weirdly specific

Hard call for bus companies , schools etc now in Galway and Roscommon …….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I wish they include wind speeds in the warnings again and I don’t understand why they dropped it. We know red is in excess of 130km/h but it’s a lot more informative to include them. There’s a big difference between 131km/h and 170km/h. If you went purely off that warning you wouldn’t have clue what to expect beyond 130km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭finlma

Confusing for south Galway schools in areas like Kinvara, Gort, etc. that border Clare and East Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

Met Eireann not working for me on phone or website

• Registered Users Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

East Galway folks are soft. Hence they get a red.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

Would be concerned about building sites around the country. As this had come a little out of the blue and over the weekend, nothing will have been secured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭jackboy

Schools not impacted. Red warnings expire before that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Weather colour labelling along country boundaries makes no sense.

It'll definitely go red to the east coast. What's going to stop it ?

But like the warning says:

Possible impacts:

- Damage to exposed and vulnerable structures

- Disruption to services and transport

- Significant power outages

- Fallen trees/branches

So they main difficulty will be how dangerous it is to venture out after it passes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭jackboy

I thought the two hour red was very short, could they just be covering themselves and leaving it up to the public to decide what to do that morning?

Great to see them tighten the time length of red warning and also tighten the county zones.

It was a joke throwing out vast areas of red for half a day or whatever.

Trees down , flooding

Bus companies may not run

Its the nature of this system as it goes though extremely fast so they are only giving the warnings for wind whilst it is reaching the criteria for their warning levels. The problem will be what trail of damage will it let behind early morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I was talking to a few people this morning, advising them to prepare for power cuts and school closures in the midlands. Nobody had even heard that there was a storm coming. I'd say it's hitting social media about now and there will be panic stations. I'm worried myself even though I don't live in one of the (as yet) Red counties.

Normally in situations like this people would have gotten more notice with George Lee ramping up the fear on Six one for several days beforehand. For storms that, usually, were forecast to only have a significant impact on coastal counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The red warning is for when the weather will be at its worst.

To say schools arent affected because the warning expires before schools start is a bit daft, especially considering the number of schools around the country use portakabins as class rooms.

For Met Eireann its a case of damned if they do, damned if they don't.

• Advertisement

Advertisement