Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Debi : Mon 13th Nov 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

They - Met Eireann - must be confident enough of it happening given the update in the Morning Forecast. Of course things may change, but if they don't a lot of places could be impacted. It will be very brief though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I'd say the fact it is hitting Dublin around the peak morning commute will have them a lot more cautious in Glasnevin

Yes, I suppose so there is that too. They will be sweating on the afternoon runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Named Debi now, with Orange warnings for large parts of the country

Status Orange - Wind warning for Carlow, Dublin, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Louth, Meath, Offaly, Westmeath, Wicklow, Clare, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary, Galway

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Stormy on Sunday night and Monday due to Storm Debi with severe and damaging gusts.

Possible impacts:

- Damage to exposed and vulnerable structures

- Dangerous travelling conditions

- Disruption to services

- Damage to power lines

Valid: 02:00 Monday 13/11/2023 to 12:00 Monday 13/11/2023

Issued: 08:57 Sunday 12/11/2023

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nasty little system with lots of rain in it. But where will the strong winds occur. Orange warning now in place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Orange warning for midland counties yet only a yellow for Cork, Waterford, Mayo and many otherrs, I don't recall ever seeing that before. If we do get actual Orange level windspeeds inland, here will be a lot of damage done as there is a lot of low hanging fruit.

It happens all the time that only certain counties get orange warnings during a storm. It all depends on the track of the system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

UKMO HD is really going for it. Red level winds for much of Dublin from 6am to 10am

Tonight will bring a mix of clear spells and scattered showers to begin. Thundery spells of rain will follow later, turning very heavy in places, especially over Connacht and Ulster with some flooding, hail and lightning possible. Cyclonic variable winds will pick up in strength too with very windy or even stormy westerly winds developing. Some severe and damaging gusts are possible. Lowest temperatures of 6 to 10 degrees

No, it is rare that coastal counties in the south, west and north get lower wind warnings than midland counties.

• Advertisement

Yes fairly unusual. Also the spread on the models and the way it has kind of crept up on us. As you say Debi might might not last long but could do a fair bit of damage as it sweeps across the country. Well this is assuming there are no downgrades on the ECM output later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I am not looking forward to travelling from Mayo to Dublin with an empty trailer at 6am tomorrow.

Unavoidable due to a house move that has to be completed tomorrow.

Kerry,limerick,clare and Galway are on the warning? That's a fair chunk of the West Coast

GFS 06Z showing some stronger winds now but still not near the levels other models are showing and it mainly affects the East. ICON HD and UKMO HD both show a similar picture but UKMO is stronger. Maybe some sort of consensus beginning to form on track but intensity is still a big mix.

Met office gives some intense rain over Connaught with strong winds for NE

ME are going to earn their money if they get this one even half right! If there is a slight change in track could the likes of Cork go from a yellow to a red warning. Given the projected track of the storm and the impact on Dublin on a Monday morning at school and commute time, I could see this turning into a red warning and school closures for the southern half of the country.

It seems a bit strange that some parts of Mayo and Roscommon are not included in the warning yet Galway and Longford are. I suspect when they refer to Galway, not all of the county will experience orange conditions. Perhaps places like Tuam and Dunmore will be yellow only?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Morning commute should be interesting, I'll definitely be taking the car!

Looks very fast moving at least, be over quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

An ad popped up on Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Strange parts of North West Cork aren’t in an orange level… especially with Limerick in orange…

• Advertisement

I suppose that is where the flaws of the county based warning system comes into play. They can't just include northwest cork in the current system

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

The glaring flaw with the system is it's all Cork or no Cork.

So if Skibbereen is in a red zone the schools in Mitchelstown close too.

HARMONIE 06z just out and has red level gusts right across the centre of the orange warning area from Met Eireann, Dublin seeing red from 7-10. ARPEGE looking more similar to the GFS.

I would think at this point the track is more or less nailed down, just the intensity to be confirmed but still quite a lot of consensus already on some very strong winds tomorrow morning.

The only thing is that the models tend to overcook the max windspeeds when they start showing storms and tend to downgrade closer to the event. Given this has kind of sprung up it could just be the models overplaying it and we may see some downgrading in the evening runs. Hopefully at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Yes but they specifically noted west cork the other day.. time to start drawing lines maybe..

If it's a red warning you'd have to cancel it surely?

They have to draw a line somewhere but would want to be very, very confident to issue a lower warning for Cork than for Limerick and most of the midlands. Slight change of track and a coastal county like Cork gets hammered. I wouldn't like to be the principal of a school in Cork, Dublin or anywhere else today really. This could be as bad as the Christmas 1997 storm for parts of the country that are not accustomed to such weather and have a lot of trees and roofs that don't get regularly stress tested.

Maybe they did but officially all of Cork would have been given the same colour code warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It isn't deepening anywhere near Cork. Where the orange warning is looks appropriate and last minute corrections are very unlikely imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Or just lob some bricks or sand into the trailer to weigh it down?

Advertisement