Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No poppy thread this year??

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

My only point is that people have the right to commemorate the fallen during the world wars.

Thats all. Whether they wear a poppy, a bleuet or nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Whatever about "no need" some Irish people want to wear a poppy.

That's their choice and it should be respected.

There were a number of local commemorations all over the country on Saturday.

Quiet, reflective events carried out solemnly and all were welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yes, it's their choice and I don't really care what people wear but I just don't see why people want to wear a symbol of another country and especially in light of that nation's history here and more so what the poppy has come to represent in the last 15-20 years.

We have our own National Commemoration Day in July and that's what should be noted.

The commemorations you talk of taking place "all over the country" are really minuscule and attended by a tiny minority as Ireland commemorating remembrance Sunday really declined from the 1930s and it really is now just British thing.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You'd really have to talk to them to find out their reasons for wearing a poppy or taking part in a commemoration.

As you say their numbers are small but they are sincere.

National Commemoration Day is indeed an important day in the calendar and marked with pride by our Defence Forces.

I know people who have taken part in both commemorations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

what survivors?

Do you know what year it is?

It was the Irish taxpayer who had to pay for WW1 pensions because the Brits refused - I guess they did care about their nationality and origin

• Advertisement

Is that your stock response?

Predictable. Shame you don’t wear your bloodstained symbol in public you would get to use it a lot no doubt when you are not defending the British empire on the internet

I suppose if your only way to remember your “warrior ancestors” is to donate to the British army - murdered more people than the Nazis and fiercely anti-Irish bigots - rather than research these wars, then a poppy is probably more level of intellect.

(Don’t think you understand things like garrison town either)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Ooh... I think I hit a nerve there.

I notice you didn't respond to my answer to you about my actual republican ancestry 😎

Republican ancestry?

FFS, you are deluded

Are you descended from Hercules as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I don't see it that way.

Imagine your job. You're serving on a submarine, no private life, no personal space for 4 to 5 weeks, a simple bunk bed, not even a meter space above you, and no internet connection. And then there is the threat of being involved in a conflict.

And what precisely are you doing in this job? Keeping others safe and this includes lefties who protest against anything and everything.

This kind of work and service certainly deserves honor and respect.

Nothing right wing about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I do see it that way. This veteran worship crap is as toxic as it is unconvincing.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭tinytobe

That's just a difference of opinion.

You just have to be happy that in Ireland the RAF takes to the skies, to guard Irish airspace, if the Russians are getting a bit too close again.....

And you call your country "neutral".....

Militarily Ireland is sadly a joke.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It isn't. You're actively whitewashing the history of abuses of the British army. Imagine someone involved in Bloody Sunday or the Mau-Mau Uprising. You can kill as many locals as you like knowing full well you'll never be held accountable.

The RAF guards Irish skies out of self-interest, not kindness. Military Britain can't defend itself in the 21st century so it's also a joke.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭scottser

My old man served in the British Army so I was a member of the Legion on John Rogersons Quay for years. It was full of old lads who had mad stories of conflicts all over the middle east, India etc. Cheap pints too, always nice to know the Queen was sorting you a discount.. 😄 They have scant few members now, and they're all dying off and not being replaced.

I wouldn't wear a poppy myself but I can respect someone who might.

Advertisement