Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No poppy thread this year??

Options
  • 11-11-2023 12:52pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As above.. or did I just not see it?

In general I haven't heard much about it this year at all in the British media, in fact if it wasn't for the planned demonstration today I wouldn't have seen any mention of it at all.

What gives? The Gaza conflict just overshadowing it? The veterans groups wanting to keep a low profile at the moment because of the heightened tensions, considering a lot of current veterans did their fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Francie banned from CA. You just don’t get many 18 hour a day merchants anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Notmything

Would it be too much to hope that perhaps some of the perennial whiners have other things to be bothered about than something that has nothing to do with them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,489 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I live in the UK and it's been perverted into a symbol of right wing nationalism. I haven't worn one once since I've lived here and never intend to.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

I'll venture the Gaza conflict alone overshadowed it.

All I want to know is, will James McClean wear the poppy this afternoon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,064 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Was in a pub in Dublin 8 last night and there was a group of 4 Irish people ,all wearing poppies. Found that weird, never seen it in Ireland before other than the odd tourist

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

that sounds like hysterical nonsense, the poppy is worn across the political spectrum.

Maybe they had family who fought in the Great War, I think Irish soldiers numbered in the 6 digits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,489 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Not in my experience. It's become a tawdry symbol of cultural division now.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

They don’t make SF apologists like they used to… or in the same qauntity…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Exactly. Irish people fought in the war as well. Its as if people forget that sometimes.

Its a time for all to remember those that gave their lives and of course, many irish people will have direct family members that gave the ultimate sacrifice.

• Advertisement

Still plenty of non far right knuckle draggers that wear the poppy.

Although I agree that Tommy Robinson and co dont help in that regard.

I think the whole event has been overshadowed by the Palestinian marches in London this year.

I see very, very few people wearing it thankfully.

If someone wants a poppy thread, they should have started one themselves.

H. H. Asquith

Why thankfully, if I can ask?

Because of the association now with the far right?

Partly that and partly because, in my experience, British people's grasp of their own history is utterly appalling. Unforgivably so. History education in this country seems to be limited to Henry VIII and the Second World War with the memory of the latter being incredibly whitewashed. Then, you have the exploits of the British Army in Northern Ireland, including Bloody Sunday and none of those soldiers will never be held to account for what they did.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 14,409 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I was in a couple of supermarkets in the North of England over the last few days.

The mild mannered middle class people I spoke to on their little stalls with badges and poppies for sale were anything but far right.

I can see your viewpoint now, thanks.

I would still say that the poppy is about WW1 specifically and all the soldiers, British and Irish included, that died during that conflict.

But I can understand if someone is looking from the perspective at the British army as a whole, across their history, then they may view the poppy through a different lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The same British army (WW1) that was blowing Dublin city centre to bits and murdering Irish civilians at the time? at least there was a certain logic of Ukrainians joining the SS, enemy of my enemy and all that. Just shows how people can be manipulated , if young men just wanted excitement the IRA was probably recruiting at the time.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I was reading an interesting discussion last night about how the poppy began to be seen as a show of support for the current British armed forces from the time of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars onward.

It definitely has been hijacked by right wing / far right English nationalist types in the last decade, which is unfortunate as even many English people are starting to concede it has become a somewhat controversial emblem.

See, that's the sort of thing that's just ignored altogether here. Sure, any country at the time would have responded to a separatist insurrection at home in the same way but it still should be taught so people can form a reasonable understanding. Germans are taught about the Holocaust as children and go on trips to concentration camps. Whitewashing just creates ignorance.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭slay55

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Notmything

Maybe someone forgot to update the bots on what to be upset about today.

To a point, but I wouldnt let the far right win in that regard.

When I see a war vet wearing the poppy or a memorial service, i dont think of Tommy Robinson.

I just think what a different place we in Ireland and Britian would be living in, if it wasnt for them and the sacrifices they made.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There's a white poppy thing going on over there now, to cover losses on all sides. I don't know where the money goes though.

I've always been of the opinion that the defence budget should fund whatever the poppy charity funds, and that there shouldn't be a need for charity.

Governments did after all sent people off to get killed and wounded on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I would agree. The original idea behind the poppy was fine, it's just that the more nutty fringes of the far right plus the likes of the Daily Mail and the Daily Express have tried to hijack the symbol somewhat in recent times.

Also, older English people point out the whole Remembrance Sunday and poppy wearing phenomenon was much less of a thing in the 1970s and 1980s (the weekend often passed by barely noticed), but for some reason, interest in it and wearing of the poppy has ramped up in the last 10 or 15 years or so

You can never control what the Nazis and far right do but the government indulging in using it as a cultural cudgel to beat their opponents with and not catching flak for it is a massive red flag for me.

Then, you've gack like this:

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭slay55

Post edited by slay55 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

And what better way to remember WWI than fundraise for the terrorists of Bloody Sunday, Ballymurphy, Dublin and Monaghan - anyone who thinks it goes to the descendents of WWI soldiers in Ireland is merely deluded

Worth remembering, the Brits refused to pay the pensions of the above

Poppy is nothing more than a British imperialist symbol, their version of the swastika, always was

• Registered Users Posts: 14,064 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Poppy watch on twitter is always good at this time of year for the sheer lunacy of what goes on over the water

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Now that you mention it, there's quite a few people missing alright who would have been on both sides of these threads.

Kinda sad in a way, the poppy thread was like a tradition here

Advertisement