Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No poppy thread this year??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Royal Albert hall event was touching beyond belief, as always. Great to see the Greenfinches of the UDR get recognised so many years on. Also the Royal Irish got special place in ceremony.

it is special to be part of the UK on a night like this. Sadness and pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭Xander10

It is a fact that no one is allowed present on UK TV without wearing one. Why are you saying different?

Absolutely nonsense. Bbc, for one, is completely clear that it is voluntary. That fact you are saying this demonstrates that you are unhappy that so many want to wear it. Sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,816 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭Xander10

I'm happy for anyone who wants to wear one, wearing one. Made up assumption by you of my view.

Name one presenter on ITV, BBC, sky, that isn't currently wearing a poppy on TV now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AyeGer

When it’s virtually everyone these days including Irish people who wouldn’t wear one if they weren’t on British TV. This wasn’t the case even 20 years ago. It’s so contrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I never had an issue down the years with people choosing to wear the poppy.

But it’s this recent thing of EVERYBODY on English TV wearing them now. It doesn’t seem genuine, I don’t believe everyone wants to wear one, maybe 70%, 80%, even 90% but not 100%. It’s all just a bit suspect imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'm slightly puzzled at the constant wearing of the poppy on TV. People could make a generous donation to the Legion without wearing one....the wall to wall poppies for a fortnight on TV looks quite bizarre or weird to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Facthunt

I’m curious…. Has anyone seen anyone south of the border wearing one?

All the Irish seem to wear them on UK television- Roy Keane, Graham Norton, Irish lady on Strictly come dancing, Irish who play football in the UK etc etc

I think his mam (QE2) only wore a poppy on Remembrance Sunday itself. Having them wearing them for 2 or 3 weeks on telly is a bit OTT IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭gipi

Did I see one on Leo's lapel the other day when in the Dáil? I might have been mistaken, but thought I saw a small metal poppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,185 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

He wears a special 'shamrock poppy' badge - a modified poppy superimposed onto a shamrock. I guess he wears it in honour of Ireland's war dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Sure,

shame the UDR are “commemorated” as terrorists like the UVF and the Royal “Irish” are from the south of England and will never rear their head in actual Ireland

Post edited by An Claidheamh on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I believe he does.

Anything to commemorate the dead from the war is a good thing.

France and other countries have their own versions also.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

We remember these wars .... yet we never learn from them ... WW1 ended 105 years ago and brought a nasty pandemic with it back to base .... but the Spanish flu was the least deadly of its legacy .... every war fought ever since was inspired by .... directly or otherwise ... WW1 ... lessons need learning .... the war to end all wars? sadly no ...

More nonsense

The RIR and the UDR are to all intent and purpose, the same. I am quite sure I am telling you what you know anyway.

The UDR was the largest infantry regiment in the British army. It amalgamated with the very small Irish Rangers to form the Royal Irish Regiment. It is held with great affection in Northern Ireland and is the go-to regiment for most young people joining the British army. And I’m sure you’re also aware one of us two bases are in Northern Ireland.

So to try to imply it’s unconnected to Northern Ireland, is just nuts

here is a homecoming I had the pleasure of attending. What you see here went on for literally miles. If you are not part of it, you could not fathom the affection and pride this regiment the held in. And so many paid the ultimate sacrifice.

In my view, there is no contradiction. It is quite simply about respect. I am guessing Roy Keane would not wear one if he were not on British TV, but when on British TV I assume he wears it out of respect to the British public who are watching and paying his wages. If anyone has some big personal issue with the poppy, then like others before them, they may choose they do not want to wear it on TV.

does it hurt peoples eyes looking at it? If I am not mistaken, I think our broadcasters in Northern Ireland wear a shamrock on Saint Patrick’s Day reading the news. I don’t imagine this is something they wear outside of the newsroom, but again, they presumably wear it to show respect to the Irish people here for whom as it is important.

I am really not sure what the issue is except simply intolerance

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭iniscealtra

I live in the west. I have never seen anyone wear a poppy. If I did I would assume they were English tourists.

If I was visiting the west of Ireland a round this time, I would not wear a poppy out of respect for locals and how they may perceive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If you can confidently state that all English TV presenters are wearing poppies, maybe you shouldn’t be watching that much English TV ..? 😜

I happen to be in London at the moment and made a donation yesterday for a lapel pin. I’ve worn one in Dublin before and also went to the Remembrance ceremony at the Irish National War Memorial in 2018. It wasn’t a problem.

“The Troubles” might be on people’s minds in Ireland, understandably, but that’s not on people’s minds in the UK. You can say schoolchildren should learn about that and be ashamed, but would you say the same about the Raj, or Aden, or the Second Boer war and its concentration camps? The English Civil Wars were far more important to England, and Cromwell’s invasion of Ireland was basically a side quest to the main narrative.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you were at any of the commemorations held in ROI yesterday you would have seen people wearing poppies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I had to wear them at Church growing up. That said, this was the nineties so it was fair to say that it actually was about remembering the fallen.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭slay55

Do you know this for fact ?

just googled and you are talking nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I absolutely think British children should learn about the concentration camps, the famines, the partitions of lndia & Ireland and treatment of native populations. You can claim these are "side quests" but they had long term global impacts and maybe young people might benefit from understanding what "empire" was.

Similar to how US schools tend to avoid topics like the Vietnam war, it's more to do with avoiding the unpleasant realities of a nation's history. Plus when the British government tends to love to push the concept of empire, you don't want to actually show it for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Roy had a reputation as a brute force hardman, but he was always a skilled tacitican and shrewd operator, both on and off the field. He always knew where his bread was buttered and made no bones about it.

The poppy hysteria in the UK is curious but so very British and particularly in this age of conformism. Is it any wonder they would end up with a fanatical, semi religious weekend of worship to a symbol? Not really, it's been going that way a long time and now with a, let's call a spade a spade, fascist home secretary and PM in waiting, I wouldn't be surprised if observance became compulsory with penalties for those who need some "reeducation"

The remembrance aspect of the day is like the religious aspect of Christmas. At this stage its just a set of rituals to give pomp and circumstance to what is essentially a festival of economic consumption. The whole poppy thing is now an excuse for mainly older white British people of all classes to come together to celebrate "Britishness™" and revel in the glorious past when the world shook with the force of their might. A chance, for one day, to think of King and Country and bellow the anthem proudly in the faces of all those who now tell them they are being problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

Correct. The Jack Russell barking up at the Alsatian as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

It's not fair why arent they doing this for us poor Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭6541

UDR should not be commemorated. They were part of the problem. History is not kind to them. Better they get lost in history along with the RUC.

An "Oirish" regiment made up of Brits too afraid to have a homecoming parade in the capital of the country they supposedly represent.

Is there any other country apart from Britain who would fall for this nonsense

• Advertisement

Craig Doyle the tv presenter was doing the same,

once again donating money to the Brits responsible for terror and intimidation in Ireland ... but it has a shamrock on it

Leo never heard of the white poppy then?

Gonna start putting shamrocks on swastikas and Isis flags so, make it more palatable to Irish people

Also, if you are in the UK and Ireland and you want to wear a British poppy, would you not just wear the regular one than be so divisive

Advertisement