Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Ireland 2024 road calendar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Unfortunately I had to miss Gorey as I had the opportunity to race in Rás Mumhan down in Kerry. Probably the best weekend I have ever spent on the bike but the standard step up was eye-watering 👀

I had to empty myself on stage 3 to make the time cut and had nothing left for stage 4 so when I got popped out the back I pulled the pin.

I learned so much so hoping I can apply it to some A3 races. Stage racing is a different beast altogether.

Overall was a great experience 10/10 would do again

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I have never raced or looked at Gorey in detail before which is why it seemed odd to me.There was no mention in the pre race adverts for it being a handicap race just the separate classifications for lady riders which to me meant it was a totally separate event.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

*women not lady 😉

It's only ever been a handicap. The organisers themselves are confused I think about what a women's race is. The women themselves can't score W points in the Gorey, only points on the Ability system (A1,2,3, etc) for the Gorey as it's not a women's only race.

Seems a bit mad they can't separate the races. Lots of volunteers from the women's side to support it with cars etc.

As the event uses chip timing it’s very easy to seperate the results for point alllocation on the ability system. Personally I think it’s the easy way out to give the results as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Morris Garren

So it's a handicap race but you add on the time at the end? Well that clarifies everything

• Advertisement

Hopefully Saturdays storm doesn't have any lasting issues to effect racing on Sunday. I wouldn't mind a few crying off though!

Is Ras Na Og on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Doubt they'll go ahead with youth races on Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭this.lad

the crosswinds tomorrow will be a bit of Craic

Crosswind or headwind / tailwind day?

Not a day to be sat 40 riders back if it’s a crosswind day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭wav1

Rás na n'og stage 1 ongoing

Hard to best Hardy youngsters

Tomorrow for the auld lads, should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Some race yesterday at the Coombes Connor A4.

Group was like an elastic band…We would stretch out and then all bunch back up on the tough grinding uphill's. The hailstone shower was a bit of a surprise on lap 3 too!

Great race though, good to see everyone finish safely.

The A3 race was a war of attrition once Conor Murphy sailed by any of us trying to force a break. Gave it plenty for 4 laps but in the end legs gave out with cramp on the last lap, managed a token sprint but no return.

Overall a good days racing even with a disappointing result.

Also thanks to Drogheda Wheelers for putting these races on as the Munster lads are short of Sunday races otherwise.

Credit once again to the team for swift posting of all race results across the whole weekend.

Post edited by dahat on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Seen a few lads suffering with cramps, wonder was it down to the cold when it started to rain, was freezing for a while then!

Nasty crash in the breakaway group too, hope all the riders are ok.

Actually i never considered the change in temp as a factor, you could very well be correct.

All are okay bar one lad with a collar bone break so far as i know.

I enjoyed yesterday - starting to feel a bit more comfortable in A3. Little bit disappointed that one of those digs off the front didn’t stick but it was good experience.

glad the lads in the crash aren’t too badly hurt

credit to Conor Murphy too he is an absolute phenomenal athlete I imagine we’ll be hearing his name for many years to come

I cramped a bit myself on the last lap of the A4 which coincided perfectly with the drop in temperature and hailstones.

Anyone associated with Challenge CC ?

They had a race sechdule a for April 14th but it’s been pulled from the calender. I’d entered in advance but nothing from the club re cancellation or refunds.

I was actually down in Galway that weekend and was looking to do this one! Disappointed it’s been pulled

• Advertisement

does anyone have any information on the Killinchy GP on Saturday? Course length, specific start times for each race, course profile etc?

Is it a handicap A1-A4 or 2 separate races?

From the club website

We will again host A1 & A2 (handicapped race, A3, A4. Females like in all races so far this season will join A3/A4.  This is a highly popular event so please register early! 

yeah sorry I seen that - it looks like 2 races but not that clear. No indication of distance either

• Registered Users Posts: 37 spudpicker2022

Last years circuit was https://www.strava.com/segments/31167938?filter=overall

A3's did 5 laps (~86km in total). The finish was off the circuit…bit like the Waller cup 😉 (only a sharp right instead of a sharp left!)

There were 3 races last year based on results on CI website.

From the eventmaster page, I think "We will again host A1 & A2 (handicapped race, A3, A4." should read "We will again host A1 & A2 (handicapped race), A3, A4". This would imply separate A3 race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

two races in ulster this weekend and nothing elsewhere

shows the lack of structure on the racing calendar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

There's me on the cover shot of the video, can add that to my CV now!

Waller cup next for me, looking forward to it, bit of a longer race, prefer that, bit lumpier would be nice too but be a good run out.

Waller Cup is a funny one for me, should suit me but never been properly placed on the sharp left to get involved.

I’ll likely race the John Drumm in Kerry same day once the route is confirmed ( they have used two in previous years).

What sort of a gap is in the handicapped race on Saturday in bohermeen? Whatever about an a3/4 handicap race, the liklihood of staying away as an A4 in that is surely limited?

• Advertisement

it’s a bit of a judgement call on the day based on size of the groups / who’s there etc. It’s definitely a course you can stay away on if you get a decent size group working together from the start. Or just wait for the catch and try to hang on for dear life

Advertisement