Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginning in 2024, all motor insurers will require a driver number

Options
  • 07-11-2023 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭

You've probably seen reports over the past few years about the fact that a large number of drivers on our roads have never sat a test. Well it appears that they're determined to either put them off the road or force them to get a learner permit and do the test. Because, from an as yet unannounced date in 2024, the insurers will be obliged by law to get a driver number before they issue or renew a motor policy.

You will need to supply your own driver number and the numbers of all of the named drivers on your policy.

I got this from my insurer yesterday (Mon. Nov. 6th).....

We want to let you know about an upcoming change to Road Traffic legislation that will affect the renewal of your insurance policy.

From next year, to insure your car or van, we will need the driver number of everyone who is named on your insurance policy (i.e. you and your named drivers).

Without this information, we won't be able to renew your insurance policy.

So, we are asking you to take action now and provide us with your driver number(s) to avoid delays at your renewal next year.

What do I need to do now?

Use our online form to enter your driver number and the driver numbers of everyone else covered by your insurance policy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭GSBellew

I do not see any problem here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭28064212

How would that solve the issue of drivers who haven't sat tests? Isn't the whole issue that these drivers were issued licences without tests? If they have a licence, they have a driver number, so are not affected by this at all

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There are people on the road who last held a provisional licence 20/30 years ago and have never passed (or, in some cases, even sat) the test. They are paying a surcharge on their motor policy for the fact that they don't have a full licence but they have a full no-clams bonus and are prepared to cough up. They never get any problem with the Gardai because they have all the required paperwork on the windscreen and Gardai at checkpoints typically do not ask to see your licence.

Those people will have a big problem from next year. I have passed through hundreds of checkpoints, the Garda looks at the windscreen and waves me on. I have never been asked to show my licence, ever.

Before anyone claims that they do not have insurance cover, that is incorrect, they do. As long as you held a licence at some stage in the past and are not disqualified, your motor policy covers you to drive. If my driving licence expires at midnight tonight, my insurance still covers me to drive tomorrow and for as long into the future as I choose, without renewing my licence. As long as I do not pick up a disqualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,180 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looks like a good idea, my last 3 times of been insured they have looked for a scan of my licence so assume they recorded that number from it but probably didn't legally need to until now.

I think there's also something happening this month with garage/trade policies that they must record all cars on the policy with their insurer and keep it up to date with changes so ANPR system has an accurate listing of what cars are insured in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think it's an awful load of lazy stuff.

What have these insurance companies been doing with My scanned front and back of licenses which every policy has asked me for about 6 years or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

How will that work for an open policy 🤔

That was over 40 years ago. You need to let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I'm not holding on to anything. I assumed those were the drivers your OP was referring to, since you didn't elaborate until your later post.

But even with your clarification - those drivers still have a driver number which they got with their original provisional, so again, how does this requirement affect them?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

A neighbour of mine who has been driving for 40 + years without a license, he originally got insurance using his father's license, was involved in a crash recently, the other driver was 100% at fault, the gardai took a statement from him and requested a license, he explained the situation and reckons he won't get a summons, he now has his theory test done and is taking the mandatory 12 lessons under cover of darkness 😁

Most insurance companies have been asking for driver numbers so they can verify your penalty point declaration with the RSA for years.

• Advertisement

I was never referring to the people who managed to get a free licence without a test as a result of the 'amnesty' in 1979. And neither was I referring to the people who are now driving in their 80s and 90s who got their first licence before the test was introduced, in 1964.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭GSBellew

I understand this, but I do not see a problem with insurance companies doing this, I see it as a positive move.

Lying would potentially invalidate their insurance regardless of any other clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

He may be for an unwelcome surprise. Driving without a licence can result in a fine of up to €2000. It could also invalidate his insurance which can result in a fine of up to €5000, 5 penalty points and six months in jail or a driving ban.

If he has passed his theory test and is taking his mandatory 12 driving lessons does he now have a learner permit?

It would be in his interest to sit and pass his driving test and get a full driving licence as soon as possible and make sure he doesn't drive unless accompanied by a qualified driver until he has his full licence.

His insurance company will also need to be informed he doesn't have a full licence and he can expect his insurance policy to go up significantly in price, that is if his insurance company will even insure him. He may have his policy cancelled and/or refused insurance.

If he hasn't sorted out all the lose ends he could be in for a world of woe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The other drivers insurance have paid him for the damage to his Jeep, a write off, Gardai said they won't summons him and he has a learner permit and is in the process of getting a licence

He's extremely lucky. He could have had the book thrown at him. He needs to make sure he is being fully honest with his own insurance company that he only has a learner permit or his policy could be invalid. He also needs to ensure he doesn't drive unless accompanied by a qualified driver until he has his full driving licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

I haven't heard of this,

I am driving on my UK licence. It has been reported to AXA and noted on the renewal if I recall. Is an English driver number acceptable or will I have to swap?

I know I should have got an Irish licence anyway, but never got around to the switch.

SK

Since January 2021 if you are living in Ireland your UK driving licence is not valid for driving in Ireland. You need to exchange it for an Irish driving licence.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think only one private insurer I've ever used in two decades has actually asked to see my licence, so there is a need to force the issue.

My employers insurers haven't even asked this time, previous jobs have. Only driven a company vehicle three or four times in 18 months but I am listed as a driver

I'd expect the Healy Raes to take this up - Biddy so and so won't be able to visit her 110 yeard old mother if she can't drive. Becaue she 'never got around to' doing the test.

🙄 Don't start. I can just imagine. "Sure she's been driving all her life and never had a problem before. Will having a bit of paper or a bit of plastic in her purse make her any better a driver than she is without it..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Tippman24

I have only been asked once in thirty years to provide sight of my licence. About 6 years ago at a Drink Driving Checkpoint outside Templemore.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Before anyone claims that they do not have insurance cover, that is incorrect, they do. As long as you held a licence at some stage in the past and are not disqualified, your motor policy covers you to drive. If my driving licence expires at midnight tonight, my insurance still covers me to drive tomorrow and for as long into the future as I choose, without renewing my licence. As long as I do not pick up a disqualification.

The insurance company will always cover 3rd parties after an RTC but they can and do sue the person who's policy was invalid in the courts to recoup the costs and they always win as it's a civil case. You might have "insurance" but you'll end up paying for the other persons claim!

Drivers licences expiring are different to never having a licence. If my B licence expires I'm still covered to drive as it was never cancelled, but after 10 years I can't drive as I now need to apply for a learners permit as I can't renew the licence. If you are driving unaccompanied on a learners permit you aren't covered, see my previous paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

might want to sort that out if you live in Ireland...your licence is invalid for use in ireland for more than 2 years now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Software architect for a large insurance company here: If your licence has expired you won't be able to get insurance. You might be insured if your licence expires during the term, but only until your insurance comes up for renewal. You can't renew with a licence that is expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Thanks but the license has not expired, it's still valid in the UK and indeed here for insurance purposes. I was particularly careful to ensure that the license was acceptable when I took out the insurance.

It caused problems with one or two brokers, but to be honest It was stupid of me to apply through brokers when it's possible to go direct anyway, fair play to AXA really, they made what was a total nightmare pretty simple. Even in the UK years back a quick call to a broker before the internet would get me on the road with a cover note, here it was almost impossible to buy a car and drive it away from the dealer. You wo0uldn't believe the lunacy some "brokers" spouted.

I will make inquiries next week as to getting the UK one swapped, when I tried before Covid was rampant and the place in Tralee was closed. Since then the publicity about switching has ebbed and One forgets.

This thread has jogged my memory!

It's not valid here though if you're resident.

It is valid for insurance purposes at present, which is my overriding concern.

I find that I can apply online anyway for a switch, so it will not be a problem.

From past experience the guards here seem a little more tolerant for technicalities than the UK police, I found this out when my tax disk holder broke on my motorcycle years back and when stopped I had it in my pocket, not on the bike. In the UK this would have been a fine.

I can't see that the UK licence would be a major problem anyway as the only support documentation I need for an Irish licence is proof of address and the UK licence. My points attracting driving style has gone forever, so I am not benefitting in any material way.

Anyway it's academic, as soon as I figure out where my PPS card is, I will do it online.

It's a PSC card you need, not a PPS one.

• Advertisement

Yes, I have since found out.

I'll book an appointment, it seems easier.

I had an email from the insurance company last week asking for a driver number, the email suggests foreign licence numbers are acceptable. I sent in the English driver number anyway and have not heard back yet.

I will give them a ring if I don't hear back.

Advertisement