Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Likely phasing of new routes

Options
  • 06-11-2023 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭

This question keeps being asked in the BusConnects thread - so I am putting it here as a separate thread. Mods - could this be posted as a sticky please as it's really one of the most repeated questions?

This is my guess as to what will happen with each of the BusConnects phases to come - I am not putting dates on this as they will happen when driver resources permit, but they should happen in the following order:

Southern Orbitals:

New routes: S2, S4, S6, S8, W2, 74 and L25

Cancelled: 17, 17d, 18, 61, 75, 75a, 76, 76a and 175

F Spine:

New routes: F1, F2, F3, F9, 71, 80, 82 and L89

• F1 likely to operate to IKEA per 140 route from Charlestown until E Spine launches;
    • F2 to operate to 150 terminus at Rossmore rather than Spawell as per original plan;
    • 80 to operate from Liffey Valley SC to Palmerston Park until A Spine launches
    • 82 to operate to 54a terminus at Kiltipper until D Spine launches
    • L89 to operate to/from Broombridge

Cancelled: 26, 40, 40b, 49, 54a, 56a, 140, 150; Southern half of route 9; Southern half of routes 83 & 83a

O Route:

No other changes

E Spine:

New routes: E1, E2, E9, N2, 19, 23, 24, L1, L2, L3, L12, L14, L15, L26, L27, X1, X2, P11, P12, P13, P16

Amended: Route F1 may change to terminate at Charlestown

Cancelled: 7b, 7d, 9, 46a, 46e, 63, 63a, 83, 83a, 84, 84a, 84x, 116, 118, 145, 155, 184, 185; Northern half of route 4; Northern half of route 11; Northern half of route 13

D Spine:

New routes: D1, D2, D3, D4, D5, D9, 8, 10, 20, 21, 58, 72, 73, L56, L80, L81, L91, X47, X55, X56, X58, X78

Amended: 82 changed to terminate at Killinarden.

Cancelled: 13, 27, 27a, 27b, 27x, 32x, 42, 43, 51d, 51x, 53, 53a, 68, 68a, 68x, 69, 69x, 77a, 77x, 102, 104, 123, 130, 151; Northern half of route 14, Northern half of route 15, Southern half of route 122

A Spine:

New routes: A1, A2, A3, A4, A9, 22, 81, 85, L44, L82, L83, L85, P18, P43, P44, X76, X77, X79, X83, X84

Amended: Route 80 extended from Palmerston Park to Ballinteer

Cancelled: 1, 14, 15, 15a, 15b, 15d, 16, 33, 33a, 33b, 33d, 33x, 41, 41b, 41c, 41d, 41x, 65, 65b, 142; Northern half of 44

B Spine:

New routes: B1, B2, B3, B4, N8, 34, 35, 36, 37 (new), 48, 98, L11, L21, L22, L61, L62, L63, L64, P11, P12, P63, P64, P65, X61, X62

Cancelled: 4, 7, 7a, 37 (old), 38, 38a, 38b, 38d, 39, 39a, 39x, 40d, 40e, 45a, 45b, 59, 70, 111, 120, 122, 220, 220a, 236, 236a, 238, 270

Final Phase:

New routes: 86, 87, 88, L13, L33, L35

Cancelled: 11, 44, 44b, 47, 114, 161

The proposed new network map is here

https://busconnects.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/big-picture-map-170920-oe-web.pdf

Proposed frequencies are here:

https://busconnects.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/a3-frequency-tables-061020-fa.pdf

Post edited by devnull on

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Added as Sticky

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

is the E9 a new route @LXFlyer like the H9 that disappeared without notice.?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

As with all the routes, the details are in the frequency chart linked to above if you look at it - I suspect the E9 will be a bit more necessary than the H9, as it’s effectively the existing school term extra works on the 145 from Shankill!

The H9 might have worked better if it were introduced now but it really wasn’t needed with the Covid loadings. Personally on that corridor I’d have just added extra full length H1 journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Bad experience with 74 today.

Missed 74 outside rathfarnham towards City Centre at 8.30am

The next one came 45 minutes later but I did not take it as I was too late for my appointment on Armagh road.

I'll get a 15 and then a 27 / 77a in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 neil_peart

I can't see this working it's going to be a disaster most likely. Your getting off one bus and then may or may not get on the next bus at rush hour. Causes more stress and really don't see how this is going make things more efficient. Also most stops aren't sheltered. Should have invested in the metro and improving the luas system

As the thread starter, can we please keep this discussion to the phasing? There’s a whole different thread for general discussion of BusConnects here:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057746877/busconnects-dublin-big-changes-to-bus-network#latest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Is there a timeline for the infrastructure upgrades? I know driver shortages will dictate when certain routes go live, but do we know when physical construction will commence on some of the routes?

No we don’t.

Only one of the corridors has received approval from ABP - the other eleven planning applications are still awaiting a decision from ABP.

Best estimate is sometime next year for construction to start, as tenders will have to be issued once approval comes from ABP.

They'll probably do them 2-3 at a time, so you’re looking at several years to get them all done.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

Thanks. I guess they should be entering detailed design for the approved route at the moment? Or maybe that's been completed?

It would be good to have an ETA for a decision for ABP for each one in the original post, if known.

• Advertisement

There is no ETA - it’s completely at the whim of ABP who are snowed under with a backlog right now.

Just because the Liffey Valley scheme is approved doesn’t mean it will be the first constructed either. One would assume that the NTA have their own internal plan but this isn’t in the public domain.

The links to the detailed designs are here:

Click on Menu and select “12 Core Bus Corridor Statutory Applications”.

Select whichever corridor you wish to look at. - there is a link on each page to the relevant planning application website.

Again, can I appeal to people to keep this thread to the network phasing.

There are two general BusConnects threads - one here and one in the Infrastructure forum for the general discussion - otherwise this information will get lost.

(I’m guilty of thread drift above myself - but I would like to keep this to the network phasing).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MOD: Please on topic posts in this thread only. Thanks

Moved and deleted off topic posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

How come the O route hasn't launched yet?

I thought that would be a priority. It looks really handy.

The entire plan relies on the bus companies recruiting and retaining sufficient staff. That's proving challenging.

The O route requires the recruitment of completely new drivers to operate it as it is a brand new route. So it's going to take time.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭loco_scolo

It also requires some traffic/road layout changes to avoid dogleg detours like the S2!

Also, not sure if they have sourced single decker buses for it to go under the low rail bridges, both Seville Place and Macken Streets I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Some of the single decker buses for the O route have been parked up in Broadstone last year.

Most of the other electric buses though have been stored in the secret location up in Ardee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

DB are supposed to be bringing back the Airlink. Surely the priority should be implementing the new bus connects routes before introducing new commercial services.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If you were reading the Dublin Airport Bus Changes thread here on Boards either before or after Christmas; the general consensus that I got from it about the revamped Airlink routes was that DB will recruiting a separate set of new drivers for the Airlink in the near future. None of the drivers on their PSO routes will be driving the Airlink at all. DB will also be using leased buses for the Airlink once they get rolled out for service. That's probably good news for DB's PSO drivers who will be allocated to the new BusConnects routes throughout 2024 and beyond that to the last phase of the project. We would see a more consistent service being provided by the PSO drivers who will be working on the F-Spine, the O route and the E-Spine in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Doesn't make a difference it's still less drivers that can be allocated to PSO duties. They will still be DB drivers just tours drivers are still DB.

An updated final network map has been uploaded on the BusConnects website and is here:

https://busconnects.ie/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/Network-Redesign-Map-2023.pdf

Changes reflected in this are:

• Any changes in the routes implemented so far when compared with the original plan
    • Dotted lines showing planned routings where construction will allow

To summarise the future changes by Spine phase

H-Spine Phase

H1 shown as extending to Clongriffin Station in the future (dotted line)

C-Spine Phase

Revised future routing for the C2 shown in Adamstown (dotted line)

Western Orbitals Phase

Future W61/W62 merger shown (dotted line)

Northern Orbitals Phase

Future extension of N6 to Blackbanks (dotted line)

Future routing of N4 through Waterville (dotted line)

E-Spine / N2 Phase

Revised routing for E2 via Balbutcher Lane (South) to terminate at IKEA (instead of Charlestown)

Revised routing for N2 via Aughrim Street, Manor Street, Blackhall Place and the Quays to/from Heuston Station

Revised routing for 19 in Wadelai Estate (same as current 11); revised route via Balbutcher Lane (North), IKEA and St. Margaret's Road

Revised routing for L1/L2/L3 shown

D-Spine Phase

Revised routing for D3 at Clongriffin, with future routing shown too (dotted line)

F-Spine Phase

Revised routing for F1 via Melville Road, Jamestown Road and St. Margaret's Road to terminate at IKEA (instead of Charlestown)

Revised routing for F2 via Rossmore Road to terminate at current route 150 terminus (instead of Spawell)

Revised routing for 23 via Melville Road to terminate at Charlestown

Revised routing for 24 via Airport perimeter road (not serving Horizon Logistics Park / Harristown)

Route 82 shown as operating to Kiltipper (instead of Killinarden), routing via the old Tallaght Road rather than Tallaght bypass and will terminate at Merrion Square rather than Ringsend Garage.

Revised routing for L89 to operate from Broombridge Station via Broombridge Road, Ballyboggan Road, Finglas Road and then via planned routing to Toberburr where the route will now terminate (extension to Swords has been dropped - this is covered by Local Link route 196 (this route isn't on the map)

Ranelagh Radial Phase

L35 now shown as terminating at Balally LUAS stop (instead of Dundrum LUAS)

Post edited by LXFlyer on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Are the Bray/Greystones changes likely to happen this year as planned?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭DaBluBoi

They have been saying for 2 or 3 years "this year they will be implemented" so Im sceptical

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The implementation of the project is phased, but the next phase is the E Spine and the NTA have said publicly that they plan to implement it this year, likely in the summer, but it is all dependent on funding and driver resources being in place.

Any earlier dates quoted were based on leaked documents, which frankly did no one any service as they were aspirational.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

posters on the other thread who are (or at least claim to be) drivers have said the new rosters are due to take effect from around July.

Ok well they were aspirations of over a year in advance, which frankly I’d take with a grain of salt at any time.

A major driver shortage happened post-Covid that resulted in the NTA having to adopt a dose of reality in their expectations and push everything out.

The only planned launch that is publicly confirmed for 2024 is the E Spine phase and there are the beginnings of internal plans in the bus companies being reported for this to happen.

I would expect it to happen this year, unlike the previous false dawns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the fact that they've just announced the changes for north Wicklow would also suggest it's imminent.

Advertisement