Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV long distance versus 14 year old diesel.

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Interesting you say that. The reason for my response was initially due to the misdirection introduced by the other poster. In fairness, you put forward some very optimistic rental costs for 100 days over the course of a year. Now, if you say you needed a car one or max two time per week, that's an average of 1.5 times per week, or 85 times per year. Again, being generous with the same figures, 85 times the average €50 per rental is €4,250.

Amusing point to note is that a small 1 year car like a Corsa (valued at €19,000) would cost a little under €4,800 per annum to finance over 5 years (using a very high 9% APR). Insurance would be less than €400, tax €200, maintenance and consumables for the first 5 years would be less than €300 a year...possibly much less with low miles done. That's €5,700. Fuel depends on how much you drive. I would suggest €1k per year as a round figure. As I don't know what your actual mileage is, I will just guess wildly it's as high as 10k klms pa. The corsa would achieve 6L/100klm. (stated as 4.4 - 5.4 on Opel.ie). @€1.80 per litre, it costs €10.80 per 100klm. That's €1,080 per year. Round it to €1,100.

Keeping in mind I am being conservative with the rental costs and then being spend thrifty on car ownership cost for an econobox:

The annual cost of ownership is 4800+400+200+300+1100=€6,800. It would be easy to say that ownership is still 2.5k more expensive than renting, but that ignores that after 5 years, you no longer have repayments on a now 6 year old car which would be conservatively worth 50% of the original value or 60%+ of the value when it was 1 years old (based on current depreciation trend).

So, back of an envelope figure here, the 6 year old car is worth €10k. Depreciation has been €9k. The car if sold would have cost €9k over 5 years, or €1,800 per year. So the true cost is actually €2k per year less than I calculated, bringing the delta in cost to only €500 in a year. I suspect with more accurate information, the gap would close and the rental would work out more expensive.

You didn't give any information about the time it took, or indeed any additional cost to get to and from each rental. No details about the journeys undertaken or why you generally needed a car for these periods (long journeys, or transporting heavy items from Ikea etc), so these things can't be considered. We don't know if there were Taxis taken where you would have used your own car if you had your own car at that time.

The above is based on a number of assumptions lacking data from you, hence the conservative figures intended to be in favour of your argument. For example; the higher cost of finance added €1k per year to the cost of the car....€5k over the loan term.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭MarkN

You’ve seen the speeds they do that trip with yeah? Nobody could possibly drive like that in normal circumstances.

Advertisement