Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV long distance versus 14 year old diesel.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Very edge case test. I doubt anyone would be doing that trip daily so realistically a non issue to everyone.

May as well be a post moaning how long it takes to fill up an EV compared to a petrol car 🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Bovakinn

I remember watching his videos before, he's very anti EV so I'd suspect that any videos he makes with an EV is heavily biased.

RSymons did the exact same trip in one day and his charging stops came in at a total of 1 hour 23 mins, more or less 1/5 of the charge time listed in Geoff's video.

https://youtu.be/bM5hYkEXOVM?si=eIGLWnDc6x8_tz36

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭joe1303l

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭sh81722

The non-Tesla charging networks need to try harder in UK too on price/availability is all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Ireland to Iceland.

Diesel car vs sail boat.

You won't believe how bad the car was..

• Advertisement

Alternative approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

It’s a standard long distance car journey which is not really an edge case.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭GSBellew

The guy driving the taycan owns and likes EVs btw. He wasn’t out to get them at all. Both were shocked at how bad it was.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The journey between the two extremes of Great Britain would hardly fall under the category of a standard long distance car journey. If your daily commute does involve a 1350km one way trip don't buy an EV yet.

• Advertisement

It’s an 800 mile journey. Could have been anywhere in Europe.

Irrelevant to the 80% or non Tesla owning EV drivers. Thank you.

That journey is irrelevant to 80% of the worlds drivers too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Many Tesla Superchargers in the UK are open to the public, so not irrelevant

And the cost!! Over 300 euro for a simple 800 mile journey mostly on motorway.

There's way's to make that cheaper if it's your daily commute, is it and you need advice or have you just found a sensationalist video?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Probably not, but it was done over two days, I have done London to Cairnryan in a 2.3 Petrol Golf 420 Miles in an afternoon. I've done Coventry to Dundalk via Edinburgh 560 Miles in a 24 hour period, I've done Dundalk to Cork and back same day multiple times this year and will be doing that in the next week or two.

When you consider that they did 400 odd miles per day it is not outlandish at all.

That sounds expensive.

Take my car for example, not the most efficient but will do 400km on motorway keeping up with traffic.

That journey is 1350km.

So let’s round it up to 4 full charges to complete that trip.

1. Leave house at 100% after charging overnight.
    2. charge at 400km
    3. charge at 800km
    4. charge at 1200km

1. 80x.20c = €16
    2. 80x.64c = €51
    3. 80x.64c = €51
    4. 80x.64c = €51

Total = €169.

Not perfect but public charging is expensive and I’ve used the 64c/kwh from eCars’s site.

That trip in my 520d would be a full tank plus maybe a third of the second tank. Diesel at €1.83 locally. I don’t see any cost different other than the time charging unfortunately.

They were completely open and fair. The diesel cost was £122. They didnt factor in the 60 quid he spent on coffees and snacks waiting around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If you're doing that kind of mileage regularly then an EV is not for you, and that's ok - they are not suitable for every use case yet.

The truth is though that for most people those really long journeys are few and far between and the question they have to ask themselves is the trade off between a smoother, nicer more responsive drive, that's about half the fuelling cost of diesel (for a normal mix of public and home charging) Vs the inconvenience of rapid charging on long journeys.

Or the pros and cons of diesel (or petrol) where you have a mature second hand market with lots of choice at all prices, the convenience of fast fuelling and long range along with the cons of expensive fuel that's only going one way along with a rougher, noiser drive that costs more to maintain.

It depends on what matters to you about what you choose. And that's ok.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

1350km? to place that in an irish context - you could drive mizen to malin, and back again; and then turn around again and drive to midleton - doing the same distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I didn't watch all the video.

I just got to the part where the guy said he did the same EV journey last year and it was easy, but now with the increased level of EV ownership the infrastructure is struggling.

That's all I needed to hear.

People keep telling us EVs are not for long journeys, they are great for short commutes, and that's 100% true.

But in just over 6 years new ICE cars can no longer be sold in this country.

So that means we will be in a right bind.

Because in just over 6 years there is no way that EV tech or prices will be ready for most people who need them for long journeys to afford them, nor will the electricity grid be ready because at the very same time as pushing EVs the government are taking away the ability to generate power for those EVs by shutting down fossil fuel power stations, and making us rely on still immature renewable energy sources.

He couldnt even complete the journey and gave up. The problems were there throughout the whole journey so its very relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Some of the UK public charging is expensive. To give a contrasting long distance experience, I drove 750km (split about 2/3 1/3 overnight). Here was my charging summary:

Day 1:

Got off boat with ~95% charge. All solar power done at home.

Ionity Caen; 29kWh ; €0 (Unit was 'only' dispensing at 75kW so was free vending)

Ionity Aire de Villaines-la-Gonais; 44kWh; €14.05

Overnight charge to 100% at hotel: €0

Day 2:

Allego - Angouleme; 21kWh; €13.50

Total Cost: €27.50

Re time, I don't know. What I do know is that the App always beeped at me that charging was complete before I was ready to go back to the car.

The return journey:

Day 1:

Allego - Angouleme; 21kWh; €15.50

Ionity Fontaine Colette; 36kWH; €10

Ionity Mayenne; 43.5kWh €0 (more free vend!)

Day 2:

Overnight Charge:; 26kWH; €9

Total Cost; €34.50

So there's another edge case, 1500km for about €60

Thats the thing, it really is the wild west. Fuel costs don't vary hugely within a country or around surrounding countries. You're seeing triple or quadruple costs near the same charging points.

The ICE ban that was proposed for 2030 was for pure combustion vehicles, hybrids, and plug in hybrids would of still been allowed to be sold until 2035. The ban was only part of a programme for government and was not legislated for. Individual country bans have been blocked at an EU level and now we will see a harmonised ban on any combustion engine vehicles from 2035.

In short you still have another 11 years where car's which burn fuel are allowed to be sold.

How many UK charging networks would you plan on using when doing long distance journeys in Ireland. It seems like an oddly large detour to cross the Irish sea to go and use a more expensive network.

As it is now you really need two cars if you have an EV.

• Advertisement

In the specific case where you regularly do trips from one extreme of Great Britain to the other, for the rest of us, it's grand. Do you have one, or are you basing your experience entirely on this video instead of the actual experience of people who have owned EVs for a number of years?

There's a lot of people with experience here if your willing to do any serious analysis. I've done a 1500km round trip in a car with a small battery, not an experience I'd recommend to most people, but far from the impossibility that you make out.

Advertisement