Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't Irish pubs sell snacks?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Why do we have to be such ninnies for regulations, the same regs that apply in France and Spain?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 15,749 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Have seen this done, it's a very good compromise, a great way of keeping both businesses open by working together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

If you’re a public why be imaginative or even innovative? If the punters start voting with their feet you just get your rep association to lobby govt. who will breed over faster than a tree in a hurricane and tax or regulate out of existence whatever the punters are doing.

It may be the case that the good pub has moved on and gone more upmarket in the main but I frequented a local fur soup and a toasted regularly when I worked in dun laoire back in The 2000s. I can’t see why this isn’t still an option.

Publics might feel they aren’t getting the footfall to justify doing simple food and complying with bee regulations. They don’t see that the Orleans stems from their lobbying and trying to protect their outdated model as well as price gouging on drinks. The people they should be lobbying are the breweries. Mind you they are week able to charge themselves too. Offer good value and you’ll get the punters. At €7 a point and maybe €20 for a meal now even the pub is a luxury in the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Plenty of pubs getting along just fine with just drink, music, sport etc. and no food.

I know of places that went into food and the drinks trade disappeared. Still doing fine with the food too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Regulations re food safety. I have family who were involved in pub business 30 years ago - common then for the message to come upstairs for the woman of the house to make ham sandwiches or soup etc, done at the kitchen table.

• Advertisement

From personal experience I can't think of many doing toasted sandwiches without any kitchen anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

From personal experience I have worked in ones that do.

It's a pretty small number anyway because most pubs never did toasties.

It's not got to do with regulations for toasties (soup yes). In those situations it's got to do with lots of publicans not living in the pubs anymore and if they do the chances the "woman of the house" is waiting around upstairs in case you want a toastie are very slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

They were a family business like many other small pubs and everyone mucked in.

Ya and they don't exist that much anymore. It's nothing to do with regulations and all to do with the changing nature of the "family pub". Most publicans I know wouldn't be caught dead living above their own pub now and the partner probably has a job seperate to the pub.

In the UK you still get a lot of the chain pubs advertising for a husband (bar manager) and wife (cook) team to manage pubs but that doesn't happen here because we don't have that type of chain pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Think the local weatherspoons here (sadly closing soon) are run by a British couple

Nice to see those traditions still going but times a changing

• Advertisement

It's not just the HSE though. The fire regulations can be strenuous and as you said the idea of living upstairs is becoming rarer and rarer.

A lot of accomodation would be outdated and no longer suited to a family regardless of regulations.

So now people have 3 properties to maintain, 2 electric bills, broadband, maintenance, 2 insurance policies etc l.

Another part of drink being more expensive.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wetherspoons in Ireland don't even have proper kitchens - food is brought in precooked and is microwaved - so they absolutely aren't doing the old brewery idea of things.

Is this Fullers crowd a fancier Wetherspoons in the UK ?

When I was over in London in the summer a lot of places were run by them

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're a traditional brewery with pubs albeit owned by a multinational

The Amstel was nice tbh

You'd miss a proper pint of Carlsberg in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Most pubs in England are brewery owned, Fullers is a brewery.

Brewery owned pubs only stock brands that the brewery brews or are licensed to sell.

Pub management in the UK, well in cities anyway, is completely different from Ireland.

There can be a lot of management turnover, I worked in and lived above a pub in London years ago, came downstairs one morning to discover that the manager and the rest of us had been sacked overnight and there was a completely new manager and staff now working in the pub.

I didn't mind it was only a summer job and I was ready to head home anyway.

Pubs that are not owned by breweries are known as Free Houses.

They are free to buy stock from who they want.

Wetherspoons are a chain of Free Houses.

When they first launched in the 1980s there big selling point was that they had no TVs.

Those traditions are not great when you are in my situation and myself the bar manager and my platonic male chef friend are refused the job because we are not a barman and cook woman team. Should be illegal what they do over there.

Same in the UK. All microwave in bag stuff.

Didn't know that, great insight

Do find 'British pubs' not to be as 'jolly' as Irish pubs. You'd probably strike a conversation with a randomer here but if you tried the same thing in the UK you'd feel embarrassed and want the ground to open up below ya

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I remember being in a pub in Australia years ago and they served free sausage rolls and mini pies a couple of times through the night.

Such a simple idea and would keep people in the pub all night.

Tapas, Aussie style. They're in the price of the pints of course.

The pub (it was actually a hotel bar) we all used to drink in where I worked ~18 years ago used to cook up everything left in the fridge at about 9 and throw them at the regulars.

There was the cost of the cooking / cleaning the plates after, but food that was going to waste anyway, and said regulars bought vastly more pints. Sausages / sausage rolls, wedges, chicken dippers, burgers, whatever had been prepped but not sold.

It was random as to whether there'd be anything or what it was and most of us had dinner at lunchtime (cost price canteen) anyway but it added some variety to the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 reactadabtc

Harry Byrnes in Clontarf have Bocos pizza operating a pizza van in their car park. You order online, put your table number in, and it's dropped to your table. It's a little pricey, but nice to have the option to get something after a feed of pints.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Chef Mike does most of the work in the UK kitchens 😁

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The era of brewery-owned pubs in the UK is largely over. The breweries either got rid of their brewing operations and became pub companies, or sold all the pubs to someone else. The Fullers pub company is nothing to do with the brewery in Chiswick, other than sharing a name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭donaghs

There's definitely a niche missing in Ireland in terms of informal places to have food and alcohol in the evening. Compared with the continent.

e.g. in a typical "tapas" place in Ireland it can still have all the formal "restaurant" tropes: you might have to book a table, wait to be seated, then wait for you orders to be taken etc etc. As opposed to a group friends just wandering in like to a cafe or pub, picking a seating area and coming and going over the course of the night - ordering their drinks and food at the bar if its suits them, and paying separately if they want. As opposed the formal presentation of "the bill" at the end you get in the typical restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

A pub in Ennis, McHughs, did tge tapas thing. There were being run by western hard brewery at that stage. It wasn’t very inviting though as it was expensive for what you get and if you order a few bits the price really added up. Don’t think it lasted long and it’s definitely not a western herd pub now. Not knocking Western Herd. Lonely bunch of people but tapas here seems to be a way of extracting maximum coin for a small output.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

When anyone does try that continental style of casual eating, Irish people don't, generally, get it. They insist on treating it like a restaurant and having their dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

They are famous for not really changing in 50 years and being in the centre of town. Toasted sandwiches are mediocre. I'd rather just stoll off to get something elsewhere and then come back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

I was over in Leicester for a rugby match last year. The city not up to much but the pubs were great. Every single pub that didn't have a full food offering had a basket or cabinet filled with Fresh Cobs (crusty baps) with Cheese and Onion or Ham and Cheese. Cost around £2.50 and keep you going really well. Another pub had Samosas in a cabinet beside their Cobs and were delicious, just kept warm, rather than needing heating up. So simple and effective and the food offering didn't extend beyond this in most of the places.

Dunphys in Dun Laoghaire always would have had a glass cabinet of freshly made sandwiches and some soup on the go. Easy peasy.

For the traditional boozers, I'd love to see something like those Cobs on offer. Although hard to see them being sold for the prices in Leicester!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

More an observation than actually why not more Irish pubs sell snacks : The actual in house coffee machine.

In 2 separate establishments in Dublin - one now gone some years and the other in Ranelagh: both places served a menu.

I made a throwaway remark about the stare of coffee machine and the bar man gave a complete death stare.

A coffee machine remains a more a black art for many Irish publicans in this day and age

Regular Cleaning of said coffee machine will also present challenges : this is stipulated legislation by the HSE - A rocket science for the skivvy new join employed by the same pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I am the OP. This is exactly what I am on about:

"Basket or cabinet filled with fresh cobs, around GBP 2.50"

Thanks for all the replies, we now know one of the reasons we can't have this is over-zealous HSE/EHO rules.

It will never happen, but I hope for toasted sandwiches / cobs / rolls, etc. for 3-4 euro.

Advertisement