Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't Irish pubs sell snacks?

Options
  • 28-10-2023 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭

By snacks, I mean more than crisps / nuts, but less than full meals.

During my last few trips to the UK, I was in several pubs that sold hot snacks, but where there was no cook/chef present.

Often I am hungry, but I don't want to spend 15 euro on a meal.

First example: the Athletic Arms in Edinburgh

Pies, heated up = 2.00 to 2.50, Toasted sandwich = 2.00, see the menu below (older version)

Another example: the Hope in south London

Pork pies and rolls from the counter.

One-pot meals 6.50-7.50 served until 10pm, see below

In the Southhampton Arms in London, they sell pork pies (cold) and hot roast pork bap, again no chef present.

Is it due to a lack of demand from customers?

Or maybe some health & safety regulations preventing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Drinking pints and eating should be kept as far apart as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'd like having the option.

Disliking pubs that do food is a peculiarity weird Irish notion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

A boozer is a boozer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Probably more hassle then it’s worth. Might not be a need for a chef but you’d need a few more lounge staff to take care of microwaving the food, serving it with cutlery, cleanup etc…..

a lot of effort for maybe not a whole heap of profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,073 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Probably the much higher foot-fall. Real caveat is which parts of the UK and Ireland are you comparing?

Edit: Maybe it is because pubs in UK tend to be part of chains whereas in Ireland they are not. @L1011 has encyclopedic knowledge of licencing so can verify/debunk this guess..

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭seablue

Agreed. Grogans in Dublin, near Grafton street, are famous for their ham and cheese toasties.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭D n G

A lot of pubs in Ireland used to do toasted sandwiches, baskets of sausages & chips and chicken & chips ec in the 80s and early 90s. I can't remember why or when that stopped.

The three examples I gave:

(1) Athletic Arms, not part of a chain AFAIK, is in an inner suburb of Edinburgh, not in city centre, it's nears Hearts FC ground

(2) the Hope is in a residential area of south London, maybe 15-20 mins walk from Sutton town centre, in a village called Carshalton

(3) the Southampton Arms is a small pub about 10 mins walk of Kentish Town station

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The sausage/chicken and chips still requires a kitchen and those places evolved in to doing other food.

Toasties (and maybe soup) as the only food is still fairly common in Dublin pubs.

• Advertisement

In the states they have hooters, basically a bar to stare at women’s chests.

Why dont we have that here?

oh right it’s not America or UK 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Bout 25 odd years ago I worked in a small rural pub where we done those awful microwave burgers and quick but very nice toasties.

Biggest issue I remember is when one person ordered, everyone got the smell and wanted one. If you were only staff on, it was a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I would have a guess that is down to the hygiene regs that go with prepping hot food. I know from working on garages that there is a fair bit to it, and it needs to be profitable to make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I'm only taking guesses here. About to head over to Kings Cross so will keep eye out for drinks-only pubs 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

The English are way more into pies then us paddys.

must say I dislike the smell of food in a pub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Plenty of pubs in ireland do food though so you have the option surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,019 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Would downvote this post if I could!!

Pint and a good roast is a perfect combo....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭JVince

Once you do food you have to adhere to food safety regulations and they are a pain if you are only doing a small offering.

The positive side is the regulations are strenuous and very strictly enforced with HSE visits any time of the day and evening, hence you can be fairly confident of good practice in any food serving establishment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Serving food also attracts families with squealing annoying children.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Never ever serve food that people pay for from a microwave

Post edited by ted1 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Piss poor sandwiches in a hugely overrated pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

+ 1 on that.

The hipster “aul man pub”.

I’d heard so much talk over the years I specifically went to there for a pint of Arthur and a toastie.

The pint? - yeah, decent.

The toastie?

Nothing special whatsoever.

The toasted sandwiches are literally slice pan, mild Tesco/Dunne’s cheddar, packet ham.

no doubt some hipster will be in to say

“exactly, the mundanity is the point bro. We love paying a tenner for them when you could make for 50cent at home.”

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bog master

My rural local did soup and toasted sandwiches back in 2001-02. As soup was made in his own home kitchen and sandwiches made behind the bar, Health Board swoops in and says no no. Kitchen at his home would have to be upgraded at a cost of approx 10k and one cannot prepare a toasted sandwich behind the bar, there must be a dedicated kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

It's ridiculous really. Toasted sandwiches were standard in almost every Irish pub back in the day. Enter the HSE to solve a food safety problem that didn't exist.

Ok, so I have now learnt that "Toasties (and maybe soup) as the only food is still fairly common in Dublin pubs.", this is good to know.

I think the Lark Inn on Meath street sell soup and sanwiches?

Also, some answers confirmed a possible reason that I suspected: regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

On the subject I do wonder how many sales those pringles machines make in pubs if there is a lack of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

If a pub is prepared to profit from selling food they should also be prepared to follow the health and safety laws of the land.

We don’t live in the era of perpetual stews and fulacht fiadhs anymore; Publicans slinging pub grub need to wash their hands, separate raw food from cooked, keep the plates clean, and so on and so forth.

The three examples I gave:

(1) Athletic Arms in Edinburgh = no chef, the bar staff serve the food. They do have a room behind with a kitchen, I saw a pie being taken out of fridge, put into microwave.

(2) the Hope in Carshalton, south London: I was here only once, but it is big, as was previously owned by a brewery, so I suspect there is a kitchen.

However, outside of 12-3pm, the menu is reduced to one-pot meals, with no chef

(3) the Southampton Arms: small pub, I can't see any space for kitchen, no chef, the hot pork bap is made by bar staff on front of you. The barman took pork pie out of fridge, onto plate with mustard, handed it to me

Conclusion: HSE food regulations about kitchens are something to do with it.

"can't prepare a toasted sandwich behind the bar, there must be a dedicated kitchen"

I have seen this done in UK and France.

So it seems that Ireland is over-zealous with regulations?

• Advertisement

I have been in this bistrot in Paris.

The bar staff cut bread and made sandwiches behind the counter, on front of customers.

Is that not allowed here?

Advertisement