Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voyager revisited - this time it’s Neelixy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

Didn't Kes start the catsuit trend?

EDIT: Unless some of Troi's outfits count

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Rawr

It started with Troi, continued with Kira (kind of)and then went to Seven before ending with T’Pol.

Kes occasionally had a cat-suit-esque thing, but she seemed to usually be wearing rather inoffensive cardigans and overcoats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Sci fi and particularly star trek have a pretty bad record for exploiting women with outfits.

Gene rodenberry was always cutting more off women's outfits. He was a notorious womaniser sleeping with two star trek actors while also married. Uhura and nurse chapel who he later married. Troi's mother

I didn't find troi's outfit in the first few seasons that bad but she claimed she got better stories once the cleavage went.

Thankfully they left Dax wear an ordinary uniform and occasionally show off her figure which worked better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

There are some really genus episodes on voyager such as when they meet that race that replicate into voyage crew

Then years later we meet a crew that don't realise they are the copies.

Im dipping in and out at the moment

I'm pretty sure in most of season 3 Kes wore catsuits.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The outfits 7 wears are ridiculous, but she’s a decent character nonetheless

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Yeah, looking back at it, it's completely understandable that Kate Mulgrew got thick with Jeri Ryan.

I mean you have a big hoopla about the first female captain on a ST show blah blah, but they shoehorn in such a ridiculously obvious sex kitten role it's embarrassing.

They must have all been shocked to discover they'd hired someone who could actually act. Wonder how long it took to figure that out.

I watched the episode where she gets taken over by multiple personalities the other day. She does a fantastic job of being a child, a Klingon, a Ferenghi, a Vulcan and a human all in one episode. I actually forgot how good she was, I think partially because of the suit.

they/them/theirs

I think the episode where the doctor takes over her body is an even better example of her acting ability, she takes on Picardo's Doctor mannerisms almost flawlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Hard disagree there, it's not at all understandable or acceptable to do what Mulgrew did. I think she has apologized in later years. While she probably had reason to be anger at the direction the producers took, it was really unprofessional to project like that onto Ryan, who was a class act.

• Advertisement

You're absolutely entitled to your opinion. I still think it's completely understandable to be thick with the person parading around in a catsuit, making (what you perceive at the time to be) a mockery of what you'd spent the last 3 years building.

It's borderline sexist to assume the actor had no agency here. She took the role with her eyes open, and in the event that they changed it beyond recognition, she always had the option to quit.

Then again, she is an excellent actress and maybe she hoped she could gradually convince them to use her in better ways over time if she could just get her foot in the door.

I just recall how ridiculous even I thought it was, and I was a boy in my early teens at the time ffs

Indeed it was ridiculous, but Mulgrew should have been a lot more professional about it. Yes she was pissed they got rid of Lien after three years to make way for Ryan, and that must have stung...but to have Ryan in tears regularly, to have to have their 1 to 1 scenes shot separately and edited together to disguise it, etc etc....all because Ryan auditioned for and and got the part....that's all sorts of arseholery there. Her issue should have been with Berman and co.

I remember reading about the whole thing and being so disappointed, I really enjoyed the Janeway and Seven relationship, they had a seemingly fantastic chemistry on screen. To read then behind the scenes it was so toxic, was a real shame.

I was glad to read Mulgrew later apologized for her behaviour. It's a testament to the ability of Ryan really, to endure what can only be described as workplace bullying and to nail her performances the way she did, she's a class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,833 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That's a fairly unreasonable expectation to be making of an actor with a career-making role. And as you say - that was the role. If it wasn't Ryan it would've been someone else, so obviously any ire Mulgrew felt should have been 100% directed towards those creating the role.

This is all new to me. That’s an awful way to carry on.

they/them/theirs

Indeed, it's a disheartening and disappointing rabbit hole. Seemingly she tried to have Ryan disallowed to use the toilet too, only allowing it before and after the days shooting. It didn't happen obviously, but Jesus like....

I'm not particularly fond of Beltran and his views on Star Trek, but he's on record as saying what he witnessed was beyond acceptable, going on to suggest if he were on the receiving end of what Ryan was receiving, and Mulgrew were a man, he'd have thrown a few smacks as it was that bad.

Seemingly the tension on set was really heavy, and all needlessly so too. Wang was seen crying at a convention too (it's on YouTube) when speaking about how hard it was to see the whole thing, as he was so close to both colleagues.

To be fair they had intended to keep Kes and kill off Harry but he was so beautiful he got to stay. That's not a joke, he was featured in a top 50 beautiful people between seasons so Garret Wang got to stay and Jenifer Lien got booted

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And would it still have been Seven replacing Kim in that scenario or woud they habe gone down a different route I wonder.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I have a feeling Seven would have been at ops instead of astrometrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Just rewatched the Chaotica episode and I was pleasantly surprised to see "Premier Romanov" from the "Command & Conquer : Red Alert 2" videogame pop up as Chaotica's henchman. :)

My rewatch is a little out if order so I'm only getting to season 3 now. Today I saw "Warlord", which as an episode is remarkable mostly because it features the infamous Neelix Foot Job (and subsequent dance).

By series 7 I had found myself a lot more forgiving of Neelix as a character and he had definitely been developed a lot but christ, between him and the Kazon, Voyager really had an inauspicious first couple of years.

• Advertisement

An Episode just opened with Harry Kim getting his nips sucked. I DO NOT remember that and I wasn’t emotionally prepared for it

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Harry has the worst luck. Riker and Tom Paris sleep their way across the galaxy and are fine, Harry does it once and gets a space STD.

At least you’re for warned if you’re in a rewatch.

intense nip action

they/them/theirs

The other time he was offered a 3some they wanted to suck his energy out

they/them/theirs

Is it worse than Neelix having his feet rubbed? There's no emotional preparation for that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Rawr

So for the record that Paris stopped keeping track of in Season 4 ish.

Harry's romantic life during Voyager amounted to:

• A fiancee on Earth who eventually left him for dead.
    • The wrong twin
    • A threesom of women from a species where sex with them will actually kill you.
    • A socially awkward Borg woman who barely liked anyone
    • Marrying Tom & Kes' half-Ocampa daughter in an alternate timeline (who was what, 2 years old when he married her?)
    • A dead crewmember who was brought back to life by an alien race and then taken away by the end of the episode.
    • Finally, "Space-STD Girl" who also had to feck off at the end of the episode.

Makes me wonder if Harry's love-life was supposed to be a running joke :P (Like his rank....)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

He's like Boimler before Boimler got promoted.

His first sexual encounter on returning to the Alpha quadrant was probably a salt vampire.

Advertisement