Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voyager revisited - this time it’s Neelixy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Bruce greenwood has a commanding presence alright

Discovery was shite though

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I was disappointed with how the Seska played out after a promising start.

I thought there was more mileage to the concept of - well she's a Cardassian but we need her on the ship to do X and she plays along. Could have brought an alternative view, similar to Seven of Nine later.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭McFly85

Voyager had a terrible start. They bailed on the concept pretty much immediately.

We were given a situation where a crew was thrown 70000 light years from home with a skeleton crew and a load of maquis on board, how will they manage with everyone having their own agenda without any help from Starfleet?

Pretty easily as it happens. The maquis just become starfleet officers, even happy to wear the uniform. Also the first friendly alien they meet is an expert in delta quadrant trade.

After that it became TNG with different aliens.

It’s a concept I think would be executed much better now - but Star Trek shows outside of DS9 haven’t really shown any interest in challenging the ideal of Starfleet, which would really need to be one of the core themes to be interesting at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

I don't think Voyager had a skeleton crew just not enough for a long duration mission.

I read a comment few years ago that having Janeway start off as the first officer and the captain being killed might have made things more interesting. Especially if Chakotay was much more experienced before leaving Starfleet. But then if the execution was the same it wouldn't have made any difference.

The scarcity of resources thing could have been done a lot better too. The only real scarcity should have been non replicatable things, like gel packs, and antimatter which would have to.be traded for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭McFly85

There was about 140 crew on Voyager I think?

Probably not bare bones but you’d imagine they’d have to work around the clock just to maintain it.

All of the stuff that was present in TNG was just sort of forgotten about for Voyager. The enterprise was regularly going to starbases to be fixed up after an encounter, allow the crew shore leave/rotation etc.

Voyager didn’t have any of that, so they would have to be able to run, maintain, and repair voyager themselves, which seems a very tall order. Even if they managed to scavenge the parts required for repairs they’re not shipbuilders.

I am very aware that this is nitpicky but it’s another example of something that could have been interesting about the show that was essentially just ignored. At most there was talk of replicator rationing and having Neelix cook instead but the ship apart from that was able to function exactly like it would in the alpha quadrant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I would have preferred the 'evil' Janeway (with the black leather gloves) and the 'warship Voyager' throughout the series to the actual character we got . 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

They lost some key personel in the Caretaker incident too didn't they? Cmo, Chief Engineer, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yeah. Some of the officers we saw on screen before their deaths (First officer, Helm, CMO) but I don't think we ever saw the original Chief Engineer.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I've started a Voyager rewatch and would have much preferred this version of Seska as someone the crew needed but couldn't entirely trust vs the ridiculous 'soap opera' villain we got - "I'm having your secret baby Chakotay!" 🙄

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

They landed on a planet for a refit once. That’s about the only thing I remember

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Half way through season 2, they’ve been travelling for months and they are still dealing with the Kayzon. Makes no sense.

they/them/theirs

They cruise at a pretty low warp factor, 3 or 4 IIRC, so they haven't really gone that far. 70,000 ly in 70 years is 1000 ly per year so by now they've gone 500 or so, the Federation is about 8,000 ly across at this time. Logarithmic speed scales are hard to visualise.

EDIT: If Voyager could sustain its top speed as given by Tom in the 37's it would only take about 3 years to get home.

Plus, I think it was established that the Trabe empire was one of significant size. I do take the point though, that it seemed like the same few Kazon were around every corner. More could have been done to convey the illusion of travel, but I suppose costs dictated these things. The Kazon makeup etc likely wasn't cheap.

Plus Janeway had to stop to investigate every little anomaly and coffee filled Nebula. Putting a scene in Caretaker about not being able to run the engines at high warp a lot and having to stop to let them cool down, for lack of a better term, would have done a lot to answer why they're always stopping and why it would take so long to get home.

True, but wasn't it established they'd need to stop regularly to look for supplies, foods, allies, etc?

I think so but coffee nebula aside it was mostly "hey look, that's weird. Let's stop for a week to look at it."

they/them/theirs

You're closer. In Pathfinder it's stated as warp 6.2 is their average. But I'm not sure if or how they accounted for the skips they got between Message in a Bottle and Pathfinder (Timeless, Night, and Dragon's Teeth.)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm pretty sure that has to be excluding jumps. Tried to work out what warp 6 was in terms of light speed from memory alpha but depictions of warp speed on screen are wildly inconsistent. As far as I remember from the show though, they were averaging about 1000 light years per season under their own steam (excluding jumps).

It's actually pretty logical imo. Just following the brute force approach of keep heading in the direction of Federation space and don't look around, most of the crew would have died of old age by the time they got there. They needed to look around for interesting anomalies/species etc. in order to find shortcuts.

• Advertisement

McCoy was a spry 137 in Encounter at Farpoint so most of the crew probably could have made it.

I look forward to evolving into an amphibian.

they/them/theirs

They’re trying to deactivate a Cardassian missile.

Why didn’t the Cardassians use them in the dominion war, they’re impossible to destroy.

they/them/theirs

Ah Emmy Award Winner Threshold, where to start with that episode. The whole complete misunderstanding of asymptotic measuring scale. (A ship going faster and faster will go warp 9.9, 9.99, 9.999, 9.9999 and so on, it won't just go "oops, infinite velocity"). The complete misunderstanding of how evolution works. The whole leaving the babies on a strange planet with no idea what's going to happen to either the offspring or that planet's ecosystem. To be fair, the butchering of evolution/DNA concepts follows in a long Star Trek tradition, the most egregious example I can think of being TNG's "Genesis".

At least genesis is entertaining

S2E24: Tuvix.

I’m losing interest. They still haven’t outrun the Kazon, they stop far too often. The reverse aging kids were really a low point.

they/them/theirs

The Kazons are gone by season 3 thankfully. Thought hthe show generally got a lot better then.

I was sick over the weekend so I binge watched too much.

You’re right, when the Kazon are gone it gets better. When 7 arrives it steps up again

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

It was a doomsday weapon that did seem unbeatable all right. I suppose from the Cardassian point of view they launched it at a maquis target and it just vanished into the badlands without ever reaching its target. They could easily have written it off as having been destroyed or a flawed guidance system.

• Advertisement
Advertisement