Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The 2 Johnnies’ Late Night Lock In review: A hellish experience"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riddles

Rosenstock

Callinan

shortt

Deirdre Kane

j Byrne

E byrnes

O’Carroll

spittle

should all be arrested for crimes against comedy co-accused RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Can you not leave the dad rock debate for another thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pcsports

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

I've been a fairly regular listener to the pod over the last few years. It is usually good craic, they have also covered some serious enough topics pretty well. Johnny B comes across as the smarter one, Smacks just seems to sit there laughing. I always found them mostly likeable lads, self made, put themselves out there and worked hard to make a career of it. It was pretty clear to me at least on the pod that they cannot interview. They spend most interviews laughing uncontrollably at what the particular guest has said which I find irritating. The chemistry and craic on the podcast seems pretty natural though and I think that is why it works. For me, their comedy is very one dimensional and mostly a rip off of d'unbelievables stuff from 25 years ago.

When I have seen them on the TV, it simply doesn't translate as well. They are far too green for it, it comes across over scripted and stilted. This latest offering is by far their worst. Some of the segments are so cringe. As someone before said, their whole shtick is the country stuff (Junior B, chicken rolls and creamy pintsh) but having 3 people on milking a cow, or playing guess the culchie might work for teenagers down the GAA club but it is not going to work on prime time TV.

It seems RTE feel they have hit on something real and natural and authentic, which mostly they have. But that doesn't mean to say it will work in every format - it has been watered down now to a point where they are a shadow of the act that got them to where they are. For me it is clearly not working, resulting in an absolute barrage of negative press for the lads - I just hope they don't end up on the scrapheap because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

They are a Macra na Feirme talent show act that went on and on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭elefant

One of the great Irish comedy creations - Hardy Bucks - catching strays in the OP.

It's a crying shame that Chris Tordoff's talent isn't more widely acclaimed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Metal particularly 80s 90s are currently thriving at the minute with a massive young fan base, bands that played mcgonagles in the 80s currently selling out the academy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭TheDavester

How many talk shows do RTE need, they'll have the same guests as the LLS and that awful Scanlon's one on Saturday night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The Viper is everything that Blindboy wants to be - funny, endlessly creative, absurdist without it becoming quickly contrived and boring. Even very minor Tordoff characters like Gary Devil are class.

Agreed

Also the ad for the lock in is a blindboy rip off

• Advertisement

I keep thinking of sim card buying hash from the Viper and then as he starts making small talk about the county final , Viper slowly winds up the car window 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Scrapheap? In RTE? That’s not how RTÉ works! They’ll get at least 5 more TV shows and as long as the 2fM show had more than 1,000 listeners it’ll be kept on air, maybe with Lottie Ryan joining them for “showbiz goss” to add some loike totes Dublin vibes to it.

One thing RTÉ do incredibly well is keep flogging a dead horse. If they want to be, these lads will still be on RTÉ in 2030 in one form on another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

You started a thread to get annoyed about the fact this show has reviewed poorly. Claimed it was because of an anti rural position even though the likes of Pat Shortt or Hardy Bucks have gotten plenty of positive reviews over the years. The reality is this is cheap tv with crap guests. I'm pretty sure you're not gonna find any rural publications saying it's great TV either.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

I really enjoy their radio stuff, but the TV stuff is like a bad Oirish version of TFI Friday.

Between the two of them, Johnny B seems the funniest and his stuff with Aifric on the radio is just hilarious. They are a, dare I say it, better combo than Johnny Smacks and Johnny B.

Not a great fan of Johnny Smacks, constantly giving Offaly, Leitrim and Roscommon dogs abuse. He'd absolutely lick Shane Lowry's hole so he can park the faux Offaly outrage.

You started a thread to get annoyed about the fact this show has reviewed poorly.

Yeah that’s right I did, before the usual anti-RTE monomaniacs come out from the rocks they were hiding under to hijack the thread with their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

RTÉ only really make bigger tv, that and cheap Ozzy and us shite

Where are the Dublin shows

Ear to the ground

Up for the match

The Angelus

This Dubliner reviews tv shows and you don't seem to be able to come up with anything coherent that you disagree with him on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Or you know it's just not a very good show? You can't just say it's "anti RTE monomaniacs", my postings about rte have amounted to saying I enjoyed an episode of the late late a few weeks back. But cheap bad TV tends to review poorly, that's the reality.

i’ve only seen one show but it was clear from that alone that the Late Late has definitely improved under the new host. It’s a much brighter space, with a distinct lack of death, misery, and terminal illnesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Still no response to this? It's almost like you're avoiding it on purpose because you find it impossible to come up with a good answer.

I haven’t listened to it for a while but I liked the 2 Johnnies’ radio programme.

For avid fans: how does it compare with their podcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭buried

lol "avid 2 johnny fans"

Sorry to break it to ya Livy, you won't find any up in here.

They're all up in last month/years Late Late show green room after they all drank the free two bottles of wine before the 2 johnies came on

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

They're all up in last month/years Late Late show green room after they all drank the free two bottles of wine before the 2 johnies came on

Ehhh what? 🫤

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭buried

AHHHH Don't mind me Livvy, sure I'm only having the craic, I'm sure they'll all be along in their thousands to let you know the answer you seek

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

It's not great.

And that's probably being kind.

Last week they had Justine Stafford (I like her) and also, had a stand-up comedian, performing what can best be described as a rushed set. Camera panned to Justine and you could almost hear her, what the F am I doing on here, a stand up, listening to a stand up. Whatever your opinion on her comedy, he was brutal.

Of the two, Johnny B, seems to be the funnier, but this almost seems to be Smacks show, to a degree. And that's what let's it down.

First ep. A segment called, The Dog House. Harmless enough. A so called friend has nominated another so called friend to have them sit in the Dog House for the show. The nominee, had a laugh that can best be described as sounding like a dog barking..

Smacks thought this was hilarious. So proceeded to rope the audience to have her put into the Dog House. To say it was inappropriate and probably a bit of bullying. It was horrific. The girl with the laugh was trying to get her friend put into the Dog House, for making fun of her.

On the radio. They are very good but you can tell that HR in RTE have decided they can't be trusted on their own as they always have a side-kick now. Emma Power is one and she really keeps them in line. And Aifric O'Connell is the other, and she does likewise but in her own genial manner.

I'm confused.

There's the TV show, podcast and radio. The threads about the TV show, no?

The podcast is very good, or was. It's probably gone on a bit too long though. The poster above mentioned that Johnny B is the more original thinker and that probably comes across in all formats.

Yeah but I asked about the podcast in my post you replied to. Like you said though the thread is about the TV show so I understand your confusion. 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thebronze14

What pub is this shite filmed in... Is it Philly Ryan's hogan stand in Summerhill?

Advertisement