Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The 2 Johnnies’ Late Night Lock In review: A hellish experience"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I'm coming to realise that anyone on 2FM is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Dad rock is literally music your dad likes that humorously embarrasses you but will remain fondly in your memories when he dies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Eh no Dad rock is music Dads listen to (though my own dad is well into his 90s and deaf!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Not for me, but I wish them well.

If you have it , you get it.

Romantic RTE is dead and gone , it is with Dickie Davis in the grave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

No a boomer is an American term, doesn't apply here

A Laz tope to try and categorize people that are as wide and broadly different as any generation

If you can't appreciate led zeppelin or the bands mentioned above because your fad likes them, you'd have to question yourself

Maybe associating music with being cool or uncool is the most boomrer thing you can do

There is shot music all over the place, if you like it, then you have no taste and your dad should give out

Scooter 2000 back in the haus

No a boomer is an American term, doesn't apply here

I stopped reading here. Look up the term “semantic drift” think about what you’re saying and maybe then come back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

You did sort of label a thirty year period of incredibly influential music as "dad rock" which doesn't mean it's bad tbh, in spite of your beliefs. 32 year old here that loves music from all those decades plus the present. Know plenty of others that are my age that love it too. 😂

The entire basis of the thread is that a critic disliked a poorly made show. I linked to a similar piece where he's scathing of Mrs Brown's Boys. So he's not fawning over O' Carroll either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Class me as a “ Dad rock “ fan then

I love Fleetwood Mac , think Lindsay Buckingham is one of thee most underrated guitar players

• Registered Users Posts: 12,623 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

This thread is far more entertaining than The 2 Johnnies

Anyway Walk of Life by Dire Straits is peak Dad rock

• Advertisement

Robert plant dresses to the left

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Boomer never shifted, you can't apply as a state of mind

And you are way to too old to be using boomer in the first place as a boomer yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Let’s face it, Led Zep are dad rock. 70’s hard rock, and as a consequence 80’s soft rock, is what dad’s tapped their steering wheels to in the 90s and beyond. Whatever Clarkson inspired CD that was on offer in the local garage, which was packed full of them.

Now, you’ll always find some auld lads clinging on to their favourite, niche, band, saying ‘oh, Blodwyn Pig/James Gang/Wishbone Ash/Patto aren’t Dad Rock!!’ while they rub the leather patch on their tweed jacket or fiddle with a button on their Parka.

You’ll be hearing the same out of the middle aged lads saying the same thing about their favourite 80s and 90s bands. Defending the indefensible. The world has moved on and what you liked as a young lad is now considered out of touch with the youth.

Post edited by EmmetSpiceland on

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

'Dad Rock is the sort of music you hear on Radio Nova. It’s associated with bootcut jeans, low libido, increased irritability, expanding waistline, proclaiming that all modern music is crap. The sort of music that Jeremy Clarkson listens to you’d imagine.'

This desire to label and pigeon hole everyone with generalisations is BS. Low libido for example, have you slept with many from this self created 'group' was it an empirical study? Maybe a lot of your group exercise a lot and are skinny..

Boards has become full of stuff, across multiple threads, by the same few accounts that mirror each other. As if said posters walk down the street judging everyone they pass by. Everyone is an individual with a varied mix of interests across the board. There's one label I would use for the 3/4 posters but not here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

No , “ Rockin all over the world “ by Status quo

Written by John Fogarty of Creedence Clearwater Revival.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

No one has mentioned the biggest dad rock band of them all - Pink Floyd. I was in Ballsbridge years ago when Australian Pink Floyd were playing in the RDS. The pub was full of middle-aged dudes in double denim and ill-advised Dark Side of the Moon T-shirts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Hi "Livia". You seem to have missed my earlier post as well. What you said was horrific but I think it's only fair that you're given a chance to defend yourself. I'd really like to hear what you have to say about the quote below.

• Advertisement

Pink Floyd wouldn’t be particularly popular with 2 Johnnies fans though.

Nor should Pink Floyd be popular with anyone.

Too busy holding tyrants to the fire and being kind🤣🤣 Kindness is, wishing people unutterable tragedy, labelling middle aged men 'pale, male and stale'. At the same time 'it' was talking about Scotland thinking they were going to win the 1978 World Cup!! So 'it' is obviously beyond pale, male and stale. I don't know what the smart arse label for that age group is.

One of the Unholy Trinity spent the summer denouncing Boards and its demographic, but when banned couldn't wait to re reg 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Hardly that far, H. Time marches on. Just because people will view Supergrass as the “quintessential English band”, instead of The Kinks, doesn’t mean you should stop listening to either.

You just shouldn’t expect young people to not think it’s naff.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭noc1980

The 2 Johnnies must be a show for people who don't have any funny friends. There's simply no other explanation for them attracting a single listener.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Whatever about the 2 Johnnies (I have no strong opinion on them either way) - it's a more interesting conversation about what constitutes "dad rock"

I went to see the pixies last year and it was a bit sobering to realise that most of their output is 30 years old or more. And I'd say the average age at the gig was 35+. It did make me wonder if all of it - grunge, 90's alt rock, 80's thrash - is essentially all dad rock these days. Because a lot of this music is not largely not listened to and is largely totally culturally irrelevant to people under the age of 25. So to argue if something is dad rock or something else isn't because of the subjective viewpoint of whether something has "edge" or not - could be viewed as a bit redundant. Because it's all rock music - which is a largely spent cultural force IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,042 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I fúcking love dad rock and I wasn't born until the mid 80s, well after most of these bands' prime. I would argue the world hasn't moved on from this kind of music if we're still talking about it today, rather it has stood the test of time. I've been enjoying the new Stones album for the past week.

Eh, the two Johnnies are also probably shíte, not sure as I've never actually seen them do anything.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I've seen the 2 Johnnie's multiple times on RTE over the last few years, never formed a strong opinion one way or another on them.

Not surprised they bring out visceral feelings in some posters here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Led Zeppelin in the same sentence with Toto & AC/DC and all the rest of that?

Go tell us what you think is good music? I'm curious now.

Edit: Flicked into that show last night for a while... Lets just say it wouldn't be for me.

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Remember seeing Black Sabbath with Ozzy a few years ago, one of the reviews in the Gigs forum here was 'A great night for all the family'

Read Ozzy's book when it came out and he said half the crowd ran out of the place screaming when they played the song Black Sabbath in the early days, they are almost easy listening compared to a lot metal bands that followed.

Advertisement