Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Woke Society? **Mod Warning In Post #435**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

My eldest is seven , he has never once mentioned anything but is aware that he is different than his sister ( aged five ) in some ways, if he asks anything more sophisticated, we will answer his questions but certainly won’t sit him down for a sex Ed seminar

we aren’t ideological in how we raise our children

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Identify as Non-Binary which in reality is meaningless.

Why is Non-Binary identity taken seriously and yet someone else who identifies as something that clearly doesn't match their biology i.e different skin colour, different species would be considered a loon.There is no difference between these things they are all just versions of how a person feels about themselves overriding a biological reality about themselves.

Non-Binary in reality is just a phrase used to describe a personality trait which is fine for the people they can do what they want to with their own lives but it doesn't mean they stop being women if they declare they are non-binary.

You can accept how a person wants to live their life and be addressed etc and yet still point out that it isn't anything real.

It is quite contradictory that a lot of people love the phrase "gender is a construct" and dismiss gender as being real except when it comes to transgender/non-binary people where upon they do a full 180 and gender for those people is a very real thing and must be respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,185 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Here is yet another example of bonkers "wokeness":

A person may think they are whatever they think they are.

But they are, in fact, either a man or a woman.

More bonkers "wokeness":

I did a survey at work today, and one of the questions was: "what is your sex assigned at birth?"

Having been present at a birth, I can tell you that sex is not assigned at birth, it is observed and recorded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Then it becomes a question of what is appropriate for 4-8 year olds? It isn't as if we get to vote on school curricula so some panel of experts are probably deciding what is appropriate, how that is decided and taught I wouldn't have a clue on. I'm sure it's a difficult task trying to be objective on what is a very subjective and emotional subject.

@Brian? raises a very important point, child protection should trump subjective beliefs, moral or religious. Telling them about stranger danger and the man in the white van isn't enough because the biggest threat will be closer to the child than the boogee man.

They need to be aware why touching or feeling in certain parts of the body is wrong. It needs to be clear why rather than some feeling that this isn't right.

I watched the BBC drama about Saville recently and it brought back how little we knew in the 80 and 90s. We had a priest who was sent to Peru on the missions (those poor kids really didn't matter) and he was convicted of abuse years later. I was an altar boy so it was just pure luck I wasn't picked out. Talking to my sister years later she always said she got a creepy feeling around him. If anything had happened I wouldn't have had a clue what to do, and my father was an inspector in the Guards!

So more awareness and education is great. How much you tell them is the issue, telling them that anybody touching your willy is bad, isn't really enough. They need to know why it is bad and who to report it to. There has to be some context and explanation.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Just on gender, This American Life did a great podcast about school shootings and gender and how anti-woke hysteria has reached ridiculous levels. Probably every high school student in America has been affected by mass murders by gun in America, either through safety drills (Irish schools have fire drills, not shooter drills), false alarms and sadly the real thing. Every kid in America is affected by guns in some way or another, do you ever hear Republicans and the anti-woke agenda going on and on about doing something about it?

Yet we have states in the South banning unisex toilets and nonsense like that, because bringing in laws about gender is much more important than gun laws and child protection. It's absolute madness.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Gun culture ( and it’s terrible consequences on occasion) has nothing to do with woke theories, it long precedes it becoming mainstream

You absolutely cannot say something isn't real, while saying you accept that very same thing. That's nonsense.

There is nothing contradictory about say gender is a construct and then saying you should should respect people identifying as a gender. You seem to think that because it's a construct, this is saying it isn't "real". You allow the word "real" do a lot of heavy lifting in your post, but you've arbitrarily decided what's "real" and what isn't.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

What about people born with male and female sex organs? Do they have to pick one?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Spree shootings can relate heavily to the rhetoric being pushed though. Everyone from Pizzagate to QAnon. And the reality is the same people getting upset about sex education don't raise their head on these mass killings, more often than not they complain about threats to the second amendment.

Thanks for adding some much needed context to my point.

I would rather some parents freak out and some kids feel a little shocked by sex ed than have those same kids abused and unable to ask for help.

they/them/theirs

They ( extremely rare occurrence) still can be classified as one or the other biologically and recorded accordingly after birth

that red herring is played rather tediously on a frequent basis

Do you understand the difference between biological sex and gender?

they/them/theirs

Teaching kids everything about sex aged five isn’t motivated by by concern for abusive situations down the line, it’s about ideological indoctrination

my wife and I have told both our kids that no one should touch them in certain areas but we haven’t given them speeches about gay marriage or transgender people

Why is it a red herring?

Transgender people are extremely rare, non binary people even rarer again. Yet people spend an awful lot of time opposing their right to exist. Exactly what harm does it do to accept someone is non binary and allow them to live their lives how they please?

they/them/theirs

School shootings are a very recent phenomenon, the last 40 years or so. They are just accepted as normal now, nothing we can do about it.

Woke theories are a recent phenomenon.........

It relates to mindset. The anti-woke agenda in America would lose their sh*t over new gun laws that might decrease school shootings and result in less kids murdered. Instead they lose their sh*t over gender issues that have little effect on kids getting killed.

It's so f*cking obvious but that's America and guns for you.

That’s another red herring , “ opposing their right to exist “

I don’t oppose anyone’s right to exist, just because I would never use pronouns or apply them to someone who identifies as a woman despite having a d1ck , doesn’t mean they will disappear into thin air

I refuse to submit to any kind of ideological conformity

It is absolutely nothing to do with "ideological indoctrination". What an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. I am arguing in favour of improved sex ed to prevent sexual abuse and teen pregnancy. I've also read opinions that it helps prevent teen suicide as well.

Acknowledging the existence of gay people and telling kids there is nothing wrong with being gay can help prevent the self loathing and destructive behaviour often exhibited by teens struggling to come to terms with their own sexuality. Imagine growing up being told hold you feel was evil in some way? I don't give my kids speeches about gay marriage and I can't recall ever having discussed trans issues with them. But they know 100% I will still love them if they are gay, that's very important to me. Get to **** with your "ideological indoctrination" nonsense, I want to keep kids safe from abusers(physical, sexual and emotional) and themselves.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Opposition to curbing gun rights in America is nothing to do with woke politics or culture

just for clarity, I would agree that it’s far too easy to obtain a gun in America

You won't use pronouns for what now? I use pronouns almost every time I have a conversation, it's kinda hard to avoid.

they/them/theirs

The 2nd amendment is more important to them than keeping their kids safe.

they/them/theirs

I don't have any problem with 4-8 year olds knowing that gay people exist and can even get married in this day and age. Neither that transgender people exist. It's like explaining there are people of different religion or race to them, perfectly normal.

thats pretty weak , no one is referring to a Mr or Ms here

No , you want a generation of obedient and compliant progressives to emerge , as do all who support this radical educational curriculum

Not to me it isn’t, if my kids come home from school with ideas about trans people, they will be quickly de- programmed

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The sex education I've read about is age appropriate. Young kids are for example taught that it's ok not to hug someone you don't want to hug and that's what consent is.

At later ages they can be taught the differences between boys and girls. They can be taught that sometimes guys like girls, sometimes they like guys and vice versa so some children will have two mammy's or two daddy's.

they can be taught that some people who were called a girl at birth may later be boys or vice versa.

Each year you build a little bit more or introduce something a bit more advanced. It's always age appropriate and it's always about respecting the other person.

It beats the hell out of leaving it all till they're 16 and they've learned from the internet (For my age group was late night channel 4)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You are. You're actively deciding not to educate your child. That's taking an ideological stance. It's a decision you choose to make based on your ideological belief that children should not be told stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I've no problem with any of that, but I still don't think 4-8 need a detailed understanding of the mechanics of sex, conception, contraception and birth control.

Teaching about boundaries, respecting others and different family types will help develop open-mindedness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement