Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin & Sky announce deal

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Many areas running the non co-ax Virgin yet in Dublin?

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

I think I only have Coax so expect they need to run the fibre in. How messy is it to run the fibre into the house? Would like to know if anyone had experience of getting fibre installed from coax?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I assume you can't get fibre until they upgrade the network in your area and then they will run it into your house anyway. The fibre network is a replacement for the co-ax, they won't be running them alongside each other in individual areas, they want to get rid of the co-ax.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,848 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Should be clean enough. I'll have them run it the same as my coax. It comes into the garden and then under a capping on a wall. Fibre will be the future so makes no sense not to bite the bullet with it now. I'd eventually see Virgin opening their network to other providers.

Just a few days ago after my posting, a contractor came to our estate and upgraded the network in our area. He said all houses are now ready to subscribe and the exchange is turned on for fibre etc.. so all looking good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I was going to change to VM but then they told me they needed to send out an engineer for the install. I queried why and they said they needed to install a new fiber endpoint. So I refused as every other fiber provider I had just needed to send out a modem. Now I'm trying to sign up with Sky and on the web side I cant get past entering my UAN. But using my phone Sky also say they need to send an engineer out.

Also I can't find a number to contact them with

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

0818 500283

Is the number I use, you will be on hold for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

That's likely because every other provider has been running of either Eir or SIRO but Virgin are running off their own network

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

if you have a siro ont, you can hop between all the providers on siro with a new router, but if you want eir or virgin (or the providers that use them it means a new ont)

in practicality in that example if you were with Digiweb on siro and wanted Sky, sky would never sell a new Ont connection via Virgin, it would be a transfer from digiweb to sky via Siro

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Virgin's old network use coax cable into your home. The type of cable use for cable TV.

The new Virgin network uses Fibre cables, called FTTH. If you want to use this new service and the higher speeds offered, then they need to run the new fibre cables into your home.

Sky making use of the Virgin network is only the NEW Virgin fiber network, not the old coax network. It isn't possible to resell services on old coax networks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

I would like to switch from Virgin to Sky as Sky is half the price but the process doesn't seem straightforward.

I'm not sure if I have coaxial or fibre. My broadband is coming from a UPC box so I always thought that was coaxial. But my Virgin internet is called 'Fibre Power Broadband' - maybe that's just a name.

The Sky website state that if you live in a flat or apartment, an engineer needs access to phone lines through the building's telephone distribution point, which I'm not sure is something I can easily organise. It would mean the caretaker (who I see once or twice a month) having to wait around for a Sky engineer to arrive to grant that access? Can't see that happening.

I'll contact Sky tomorrow anyway, but just to be prepared, can I still receive Sky broadband even through just a coaxial?

my Virgin internet is called 'Fibre Power Broadband' - maybe that's just a name

it's just a name, all ISPs are using fibre in their core network and out to the cabinets on the street, but from the cabinet to your house may still be copper (co-ax for Virgin, copper DSL phone line for old Eir connections)

I'll contact Sky tomorrow anyway, but just to be prepared, can I still receive Sky broadband even through just a coaxial?

the consensus seems to be no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Ah I imagine external insulation on the house is going to make it a pain to move from Virgin co ax to virgin fibre so.

Such a pain. The speeds with Virgin are fine for me, just wish I could switch around.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's actually OpenEir that installs the Fibre line through the ducting that your telephone line would have been through. My long time internet was with VM cable broadband. but one day Eir sent around leaflets saying I could get actual Fibre. Strange how they knew in advance.

But of course who is willingly going to go with eir.

Anyone manage to sign for this lads? I can't see the packages on the sky website anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Manc-Red_

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭nursewally

We have FTTH available in our area now. I only found out by checking the website for available offers. Before it said only up to 100mb available (with max speeds 30mb) and now it’s giving me up to 1/2gb

stick your eircode into the eir or Vodafone broadband website.

this checker will show you Eir, NBP and Siro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Not up to date anymore - I get SIRO is unavailable for an address I know it's available for and 'last updated 24.02.2022' under it

I was planning to upgrade to fibre this week and then when I checked on both Virgin Media and Sky, all the fibre options are now no longer available. Even though my next door neighbour has SKY Fibre installed - it looks like they are scaling back the rollout due to the bumpy rollout to date. Our estate is enabled but they have been unable to cope with the demand.

Post edited by ADSLUSER on

• Advertisement

Looks as if the deal isn't going ahead anymore. Which is a shame. I have fixed to Virgin for the next 12 months on the 1GB @ €65 a month. Happy enough to be fair as it's a solid service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Ah that would have been nice. I think my option after this year is mobile broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭raxy

We cancelled virgin & got 3 5g broadband. Only in about a month but ni issues so far. Had the professional instillation so a box installed outside connected to a router.

The Router is better than virgins so have had less issues using wireless compared to when we had virgin.

Virgin called back after we'd cancelled & offered half price for 12 months but I said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'm currently on Virgin 500Mb Unlimited Broadband and when I check my Eircode on Sky it says I can get Sky 500Mb. Will that be over the Virgin fibre or the phone? I checked the Airwire site, it says that FTTH and Siro Urban Fibre is available

Advertisement