Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin & Sky announce deal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

What makes you convinced that Sky are using VM Coax to deliver this? It is much more likely that Sky are re-selling over Eir's FTTH. The majority of VM customers are on legacy coax, and there is no indication that VM are able to deliver wholesale services to other operators on the coax network.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Yea, so I'm not being offered any sky deal on coax

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Definitely not. Why would you want coax, if you can already get real fibre to the home? Copper coax has horrible latency, and severe uplink contention, as well as being susceptible to water ingress in current weather conditions. Much of the coax network is strung along Fascias in older areas, which also makes it more likely to be damaged when anyone in your area decides to replace or paint their fascias.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,848 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Because mate on the eir site i get up to 100mb when i put in my Eircode.

Any idea who is doing the install for Sky on the VM network? I know that VM do their own installs and Eir / Vodafone / Sky use Circet and KN.

I'll wait a while anyway before I switch and hopefully any teething problems are resolved by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Can still only get 100mb with Sky 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Virgin available at home and Sky rep just called me to say they’re still not available in mine.

Go figure

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Bubonic

I haven't spoken to them yet but I suspect this is what will happen to me. I moved in two years ago and have been with Virgin the whole time, but websites like bonkers and so on say Virgin isn't available here.

Obviously having teething problems but we’ll wait and see what happens.

Hope it’s not a Voda-like issue again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,195 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I got the offer on the app and spoke to Sky about it. They got trained up 2-3 weeks ago for selling it but their system tells them they can’t sell it to me - offensive potentially. Turns out when I insisted that they delve further that it is restricted only to fibre and not legacy coax network. I can get 2gb from Virgin on that and guess they don’t have to give access. Thing is where I live in central Dublin, it is essentially the only high speed network. FTTH is but a long away dream and can see them ever putting it in.

• Advertisement

Ah restricted only to fibre - fair enough & thanks.

My area has been installed with fibre and we’re waiting on it to be green lighted over the co-ax that is currently the source.

Maybe next year

Sky coming around door to door in my area selling it over the Virgin infrastructure. I'll have to wait to be out of contract though. I'll be interested to see who is installing for them etc.

Ads on the Radio now in the Dublin area for Fibre only with Sky now available

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Have Virgin Internet at the moment, checked with Sky but only getting the eir offering for my address (up to 100mb). Can those who've got the Virgin packages on sky comment on price? Is it the same as Virgin or cheaper? Seems from earlier posts that it's not just being offered to FTTH Virgin lines - is this Correct?

I rang Sky today to see what they’d say & they’ll only be installing within Dublin if the area has fibre active on Virgin.

For me I’m unlucky only having Virgin on the area or like 30mb max with Eircom/Voda.

We’ve had the fibre installed adjacent to ftth but unluckily still no joy with it being activated.

Mate of mine in the area next to us that is active got 1gb for 40 quid p/m apparently for a year. That’s half of what I pay for the same on Virgin.

I wonder if there’s a page to see when your area is activated?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭archfi

I only got the option last week, prices below. The 1gb service is between 30-100mb/s upload.

500mbs is 60e after 12 months, 1gbs is 70e after 12 months so could do the switcheroo back to Virgin next year to get 35e or 45e (this years offers for new customers)

I finished with virgin nearly 3 weeks ago (63e, 250/25) and am very happy with my self-bought second hand Three 5G ZTE MC801a router (CEX @ 165e) and a 15e a month 'hero'simcard (now unavailable) for 400-500mbs/30-50mbs upload.

But those prices above are great

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Do you know if you're in an area Virgin have upgraded to FTTH? Prices seem decent - if I was to upgrade my existing Virgin 360mb package to 1gb they want €80pm 😁 Twice what I'm paying for internet and home phone at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭archfi

I'm in a new build and I get the option of 2gb from Virgin so I'd say so, Sky only offered the 100mb/s service up till end of last week here.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Makes sense, Sky still only offering my 100mb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I'm in an area with just the 1gb service being offered so I assume coaxial cable.

I checked sky last week and it said 100mb fttc. Now I check it and it says they are unable to determine and to call the sales team. Anyone the same?

Broadband checker with your eircode might just be fucked but I have a small hope it being updated...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

Doesn't appear to be in the case. Fiber only network here and only 1Gb available from Sky over VM fiber. VM are offering 2Gb though. Seems to be the deal they have?

Looks that way. Virgin keeping the 2GB product for themselves.

1GB is more than enough for the domestic setting though and the Sky new customer price is excellent.

Sky Broadband checker not working for me either - I'm also just on Virgins coax cable

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭raxy

Sky tells me to get ready for superfast broadband:

Up to 12mb/s.

When I seen the sky/virgin deal I assumed it would be the entire network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

I received confirmation from Virgin Media that my area now has FTTH and also noticed that the Sky Fibre broadband deals are available to me when I use their service checker. Virgin Media want to charge me €80pm to upgrade to their 1GB subscription but Sky offering the same for €40pm and it's essentially the same network! My only concern is any downtime to switchover since I work from home and can't afford any downtime. Just wondering if anyone has switched over to Sky Fibre yet from Virgin Media and was the switchover seamless? Did it require a Engineer or was it a self-service installation?

One other thing, does the Sky modem/router allow bridge mode like Virgin Media, I know the older sky modem/routers did not in the past? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

On Fibre you should be able to delete the Sky router altogether unless you are using their phone service (you can on the regular OpenEir network)

I don't believe this is possible on Virgin but open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I have checked all the people I know who have Virgin in my area and the checker isn't working for any of them. Interesting 🤔🤔🤔 it is however working for people without Virgin.

Have you coax into the house? I'd reckon they need to run fibre in. I can't see Sky operating over the Virgin coax network. Switchover should be seamless enough.

• Advertisement

Back working for me now, still the same 100mb/s offering though

Advertisement