Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to build a 2nd PC Workstation Upgrade & Need 512GB RAM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ZingK

Thanks for advice, appreciate it.

I am considering waiting for Zen 4 "Storm Peak", and see what type of prices I am looking at, even though I expect them to be sky high. It might bring down the price of some of my current options too.

I could really do with something ASAP but am willing to wait a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,701 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The CPUs in that machine are E5-2699 V4 from 2016. They are also EOL (no longer supported by Intel).

2 of them would still be worse than a single 5955WX according to Passmark.

Much better to buy new parts IMHO. You don't know if the used parts have degraded in performance, and you have no warranties.

DDR5 ECC modules are running over 235-270 per 64GB stick, so you'd have to add another grand to your budget for 512GB 😐️

TBH I'd just bite the bullet on the 5955WX system.

Maybe downgrade the GPU to a GT1030 or used w/ever if you're certain you can't benefit from the CUDA capabilities/12GB VRAM of the 3060?

To be perfectly honest I'm not sure.

I just thought I would wait for Storm Peak, see what is available, and in the meantime the build you showed me for example might become cheaper.

I would also consider paying an extra 1k or so if necessary. Don't love it, but if it make sense I would do it as I see this as an investment. I need it to be more productive which may allow me to make more money.

The GPU you added was not available anymore, I don't want to downgrade, maybe upgrade if anything.

Thanks for your help and advice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

From reading some of the rumours about Storm Peak, the possible new non-pro Threadrippers may strike a happier medium, and fill the HEDT role better than the overkill Xeon W series and Threadripper Pro does. But there's still large gap between announcing and availability.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Pity there's no pricing for 7945WX / 7955WX.

And the only motherboard revealed today (Gigabyte TRX50 AERO D) is quad-channel instead of octo-channel.

Octo channel is reserved for the WRX chipset instead. Odd that that Gigabyte TRX50 board only has 4 DIMM slots. 512GB is still possible, but horrifically expensive. Maybe the Asus or Asrock offerings will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its rare for base level tech support to do more then read from the script.

Those results imply the simulations are more CPU intensive then memory, since the ARM based RX220 is limited to 256gig of ram. It would have been nice to give the memory values, since they can be configured with "up to" specific amounts. Or what the storage was, high memory applications work much better pulling off the likes of a good NVME.

Assuming base specs, the performance per core would be roughly.

.0193 80 Ampere

.0213 32/64 7502P Zen2 base 128gig

.0287 16/32 Zen4 base 64gig

.03 12/24 Core Zen 3 base

It seems like it scales more with cores/threads, then with anything else but not linearly which is not unusual. I'm actually surprised at how little drop off there is in performance.

Only issue I see is value for money, the price/performance doesn't scale linearly either. You would want to consider the balance point if this isn't revenue generating. You see that with the system that K.O.Kiki put together. The above would imply that a 7950x system with 196gigs of ram(price roughly 2k) would perform similar to a threadripper system that he put together. Or a 7900x with 100gig would probably comes close at near half the price again.

If you could break up the workloads you would probably save a lot of money buying multiple systems.

I've been advised these are rough ratings and there is currently no intergrated benchmark for the app.

The large amount of RAM required is to allow me to give more options / build larger sims which when given more options will result in more accurate results. CPU will affect the speed of the simulation and how long it takes to complete. Ideally need both to be very good.

512GB would be nice but I could use less. 192, 256, 384 would be still good for me and a big upgrade.

But yes, value for money is extremley important and one of the reasons I am here trying to get advice off all of you guys. I am just looking for an upgrade on current system to allow me to work faster with more accuracy.

I'm open to all advice and appreciate your time and suggestions, thanks.

EDIT: With less RAM, the options I can insert are limited. The more options I can insert, the higher the accuracy of the results. I am currently working with 64GB and have limitations with the size of the sims I can create. My results are ok but could be better with bigger sims. I also can not run some larger stuff that I need and just have to ignore it till I get more RAM.

Post edited by ZingK on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

192GB is the value for money route as plain old boring desktop hardware (AM5 or LGA1700) supports it now with 4*48GB of DDR5. Very very roughly €2k would get you a 7950x with 192GB.

Going back to some prior comments, if you don't need a gpu for this then don't get one at all and run it headless or off onboard/cpu graphics or at least stick with something cheap. Likewise the figures you posted seem to say Linux gets a significant (10%) bump so you shouldn't be caring about windows versions ram limits.

Now if the machine is meant to do more than just run this you might want a gpu or windows but either will drop the value for money and in windows case it seems drop the performance non-trivially.

And of course with a €2k-ish machine that leaves plenty of money to use to play with on demand servers. As long as "sometimes" is rare enough you could be spinning up something big for short bursts when you want results during the day asap (or just want to try a run that even 512GB couldn't handle). I appreciate the devil is in the detail but feel it's probably worth you setting it up to experiment with and have in your arsenal. You might even just do it now before buying anything to see what 192GB/256GB/512GB will actually do for you and maybe how long your more ambitious higher ram runs would take on various cpus.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Would it make sense to run these workloads on the cloud? Looking at current AWS spot pricing you can get (for example) m5d.metal instances with 384GB and 96VCPUs for around $1.70/hr. How many hours are you going to be running this stuff?

IIRC the 48GB DDR5 sticks are relatively unstable on AMD AM5 motherboards. I'm not sure if they've improved stability, but at least they're available with ECC.

I will be running stuff most days for lots of hours.

The suggestion of getting a PC with less RAM and using a rented server for the larger sims is worth considering.

To be perfectly honest I would prefer just to have a PC to do it all for me and not have to rent out anything except for extremely large sims so that I could do the majority of my work on my workstation.

I'd also prefer to use windows 11 pro too. When we asked the software company if having LINUX OS was much better, they said "No, the difference from Window vs Linux above is a couple of % at most and some of it could just be random."

"192GB is the value for money route as plain old boring desktop hardware (AM5 or LGA1700) supports it now with 4*48GB of DDR5. Very very roughly €2k would get you a 7950x with 192GB." I think I would consider something like this.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

They say "a couple of %" for Linux Vs Windows but the figures they gave you have the 5900X 10.5% faster on Linux (0.73 Vs 0.66) which is non-trivial.

As KO Kiki says 192GB support for AM5 in particular is very new so you would probably want to do a bit of research to try and find a motherboard with good reports of working with it. I'd expect Intel to be less flaky in terms of the ram but the power consumption difference between a 7950X and 14900K is huge, but in this whole conversation I'm not sure you would really care. Pretty impossible for us to guess though how the speeds would compare for your software between those processors, it may love or hate Intel's performance and effeciency cores setup.

As for running stuff most days for lots of hours, just remember that say 96 vcpu (aka 96 threads or 48 cores) is likely to run things a lot quicker than your own 32 thread machine. I suspect at $10/hour it's still not very viable for near daily use from what you've said, though if the odd job that really does demand asap treatment isn't too frequent the price of a 192 vcpu (or maybe one of the even bigger machines or equivalent elsewhere) might be worth it to you.

Its a interesting thread and its probably worth pointing out that with renting, you don't pay power costs. And right now, they should really be taken into consideration. 400 watts continuously running is roughly 1200 quid a year, assuming a .41 rate and 80% usage. A Hetzner AX161 is what, 1700 to rent. Thats roughly 500 quid a year for a 32core system 128gigs of ram system if you were really running it hard, as a example.

I kind of like 2 options for self build.

The safe option, a 7950x with 192gigs of ram. 48gb dimms have been out for a while now, you usually see the reports from first adopters about issues that get resolved quickly. It would be faster and reliable, decent power efficiency.

The risky option, the aliexpress build. You can pickup 2nd gen EYPC procs, memory, motherboards, coolers etc for quite cheap as they clear out DC's in Asia and replace them with newer server CPU's. Just browsing there, a dual EPYC 7452(64 core total) + mobo = 1400. DDR4 64gig registered come out at roughly 60 quid. So 1TB(16x64gb) is around 1k. That leaves around 1k for power supply, cooling, case for the server mobo. And you would save on heating costs for the winter with the heat coming out of the thing.

One more thing, while it has gotten better, Windows sucks at large cpu/memory workloads across CPU's like EYPC. The scheduling just isn't as good as newer Linux Kernels. If your serious about spending this money to do a specific thing, then Linux should be a option to run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cornholio509

Just watched the press release for the new 7000 series . And boy are the prices steep . NOw not sure about ram support . Non pro says 1tb max of DDR5 . Supports ECC and non ECC ram . However others say its 128 GB of ram .ram support is conflicting at the moment . AMD doesn't have specs listed on their own site yet .The official launch is the 21st of next month so its worth waiting and see if this is a road you are willing to go down .

On the other hand you can get a pre configured blade server with an EPYC 64 core CPU on ebay for in around €3000 . That said if you want to put it in a PC case you will have to look for a compatible cooler and buy a PSU for it . ALso buy a cheap as gtx 1030 so you can connect it to a monitor .

DO a bit of research here though and make sure you get as new as possible by checking model numbers .

Can you please show me a build for the following: "The safe option, a 7950x with 192gigs of ram. 48gb dimms have been out for a while now, you usually see the reports from first adopters about issues that get resolved quickly. It would be faster and reliable, decent power efficiency."

I would like to consider it, thanks a mil.

And is it ok to ask how this build would compare versus:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/RhdQPF

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler (€99.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€60.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€60.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Video Card: Gigabyte EAGLE GeForce RTX 3060 12GB 12 GB Video Card (€306.31 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Case: Montech AIR 903 BASE ATX Mid Tower Case (€82.89 @ Caseking)

Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 12 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€207.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Custom: ASUS Pro WS WRX80E-Sage SE WIFI (€791.90) (Amazon DE)

Custom: AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5955WX, 16C/32T, 4.00-4.50GHz (€1155.99) (Amazon DE)

Custom: Samsung RDIMM, DDR4-3200, CL22, ECC reg, 512GB (64GB x8) (€1079.20) (Caseking)

Total: €3845.89

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-10-17 15:27 CEST+0200

?

And then how do both of them compare versus waiting for Zen 4 "Storm Peak" with Gigabyte TRX50 AERO D?

versus Zen 4 "Storm Peak" with a better Motherboard?

I hope its cool to ask, how the different ideas I have been given talking to you guys and the different build options compare, so I can assess what I prefer. Always interesting to listen to you guys, you update my knowledge on PCs everytime I am here. Thanks a mil.

Regarding my electricity bill, my current PC is turned on almost 24/7 and my current PSU is something like SeaSonic 360W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply, either that or something similar. (Is it bad that I am too lazy to look at what it actually is? I tried device manager and msinfo32 but could not find it) So that is why my electricity bill is so high, makes sense. I'm always working on my PC, I'm also an office manager on call 6 days a week, among other work I do on my PC. I guess this new set up will make my electricity bill slightly more expensive but not a massive difference versus someone who does not use their PC as much as I already do. I will have 2 PCs but the new one will be my main PC on all the time and 2nd PC on occassionally. That is the plan anyway.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/G7s6DZ

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 4.5 GHz 16-Core Processor (€595.20 @ Amazon Deutschland)

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (€38.29 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX X670E-A GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard (€388.73 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 96 GB (2 x 48 GB) DDR5-5600 CL40 Memory (€271.50 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 96 GB (2 x 48 GB) DDR5-5600 CL40 Memory (€271.50 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Storage: Samsung 980 Pro w/Heatsink 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€139.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Storage: Samsung 980 Pro w/Heatsink 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€139.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Video Card: Palit Dual OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card (€614.91 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Case: Montech AIR 903 BASE ATX Mid Tower Case (€82.89 @ Caseking)

Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 12 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€207.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Total: €2750.72

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-10-20 18:41 CEST+0200

AMD Ryzen 7950X build. Upgraded GPU to RTX 4070.

Expensive motherboard but the RAM is on its QVL so should work. As far as I understand it's not "true" ECC but should be fine?

Dual 2TB drives as I remembered 1TB drives are binned / perform worse.

Estimated power cost at 41c/WHr, 24/7, 2hrs gaming: €1'223.52/yr (The 5955WX system was ~€1'485.88/yr).

Can't give you an estimate for a Storm Peak system until we get prices for 7945/7955 CPUs and motherboards.

Oh, total aside: you can upgrade your current machine to Ryzen 5700X or 5800X3D if you want to keep it for gaming purposes; or 5900X/5950X if it'll still be running lots of calculations. €200-460 + €40 for a second Peerless Assassin 120 SE.

• Advertisement

I was wondering for a second how it ended up at €2750 but that 4070 will do that, they may be fine with just the basic onboard graphics. Given the original budget and discussions of power usage I do like the platinum PSU. No idea what the real ssd requirements are, you would think the likes of that pair of 980 pros or even a pci-e 5.0 ssd would make sense but nothing so far has suggested it matters Vs any old single nvme ssd

Those 3 things easily take it from the "about €2k" to €2750 but just dropping the 4070 leaves it close enough and of course without the 4070 the psu could dial back a mile. My really wild guess is onboard gpu is fine until suddenly their workload begs for a 4090 so dropping the 4070 but sticking with the 1000W could be smart.

Strictly speaking the ram on the QVL is https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/BXP8TW/corsair-vengeance-192-gb-4-x-48-gb-ddr5-5200-cl38-memory-cmk192gx5m4b5200c38 which is about €700 for a 4*48GB kit. The QVL https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x670e-a-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory/ talks about a lot number after 2311 which I guess just means not a kit that's been sitting on the shelves. At that price one of the pc part vendors (e.g. not amazon) might be happy to confirm the lot if OP wants to spend the money to make certain they tick all the QVL boxes but could always just buy and return unopened anyway.

@ZingK

Right just been going through your list and i do have to remind people that you just can fire as much ram at a desktop CPU as you want . BOth AMD and INTEL CPUs on the consumer desktop do not support more than 128GB of ram . Its not just a windows version limitation . Consumer desktop CPUs just are not designed for it . That is why HEDT CPUs exist like threadripper and Xeon .

NOw on the other hand do you need a GPU at all ? . Saying this because the rysn 9 7950X has an IGPU . SO if all you need is to hook up a monitor then you don't need to buy a 4070 or a 3060 for any reason . NOw if your software does utilize the GPU then that's a different story .

You can buy 128GB kit of corsair vengeance cl36 5600MTs ram on AMAZON.de for about 520 euro .

SO our saving €20 there . Not getting a GPU save you another 600-700 euro . that gets you below the 2000 euro mark there and then . Not to mention because you don't need the big ass 1000W CPU you can get a 600 watt PSU and save another 100 euro . Maybe save a bit more by going for a semi modular PSU .

Ryzen 4 7000 series Threadripper . AKA "STORM PEAK"

Specs for threadripper are officially out . Took AMD long enough to actually put it up . Still they don't make it easy to find all information about it . THat said the 24 core 48 thread CPU is $1500 . 32 core 64 thread CPU is $2500 , and the 64 core 128 thread is $5000 . TRX50 motherboard will be between 700 to 1000 euro . You will need to buy a GPU since there is no onboard GPU like the desktop processors .

THis is where it gets a bit weird . There are two chipsets . WRX80 is for pro CPUs only . 8 channel DDR5 5200MTs upto 2TB of ram . TRX50 is for both pro and non pro CPUs . $channel DDR5 5200MTs upto 1TB of ram .

Taking a quick look at the cost you are going to pay at least on the bottom end with a decent graphics card at least 4300 euro . THat would include a rtx 4070 and a 1000watt PSU . AGAIN you could drop the GPU for a cheap gtx 1030 for about 60 or 70 euro . and a cheaper 600 watt PSU and the the price down to roughly 3500 euro . Maybe skimp on ram in the beginning and buy kits over time .

AGAIN i know its a lot for thread ripper and probably way out of budget . THat said i am intrigued but the TRX50 chipset supporting both the pro and non pro CPUS . DOwn the line when a new CPUs hit the market you could be looking at 96 cor 192 thread CPUs been a less tan a grand on the secondhand market .

As for benchmarks dont take much stock in AMDs own tests . Benchmarks are usually cheery picked so wait for reviews . Check gamers nexus and puget systems own testing at least . THe goo thing about GN is that they will compare it to desktop processors . SO you will get an idea of what Thradripper is capable of .

As for power consumption . You really cant win either way . Going by the specs you want it will cost just as much to rent it as it would use in power a month for similar in a could system .

@cornholio509 the consumer desktops do support 192GB now with the caveat that particularly on AM5 you really want to watch out for motherboards not just having the AMD update but really you want to see they have qualified 4*48GB. On the Intel side I haven't really dug in but I think it's a lot more straightforward though across the board you still won't be getting the same ram clocks out of 4 dimms which has kinda been the bane of DDR5 up to now. It's basically a little bit of an oddity thanks to the emergence of 48GB dimms.

"Ryzen 4 7000 series Threadripper . AKA "STORM PEAK"

Specs for threadripper are officially out . Took AMD long enough to actually put it up . Still they don't make it easy to find all information about it . THat said the 24 core 48 thread CPU is $1500 . 32 core 64 thread CPU is $2500 , and the 64 core 128 thread is $5000 . TRX50 motherboard will be between 700 to 1000 euro . You will need to buy a GPU since there is no onboard GPU like the desktop processors .

THis is where it gets a bit weird . There are two chipsets . WRX80 is for pro CPUs only . 8 channel DDR5 5200MTs upto 2TB of ram . TRX50 is for both pro and non pro CPUs . $channel DDR5 5200MTs upto 1TB of ram .

Taking a quick look at the cost you are going to pay at least on the bottom end with a decent graphics card at least 4300 euro . THat would include a rtx 4070 and a 1000watt PSU . AGAIN you could drop the GPU for a cheap gtx 1030 for about 60 or 70 euro . and a cheaper 600 watt PSU and the the price down to roughly 3500 euro . Maybe skimp on ram in the beginning and buy kits over time .

AGAIN i know its a lot for thread ripper and probably way out of budget . THat said i am intrigued but the TRX50 chipset supporting both the pro and non pro CPUS . DOwn the line when a new CPUs hit the market you could be looking at 96 cor 192 thread CPUs been a less tan a grand on the secondhand market ."

I'm strongly considering this unless I receive advice here suggesting it might not be the best direction. I aim to use the PC for everyday work tasks, running jobs, and office work simultaneously. While I may dabble in gaming occasionally, it's not the primary focus. I also plan to include a decent graphics card and Windows 11 Pro. The up to 1TB RAM support with DDR5 at 5200MTs allows for future upgrades and having the flexibility to upgrade the system with new advancements as they emerge is an idea I like.

How long would I have to wait for a decent build? Maybe I will just wait and when the time comes there will be builds of this on this forum and this thread. It would be nice to have to ASAP but I am a patient man and can wait.

Post edited by ZingK on

Sorry have to correct myself here .

CHeck the SPEC's of consumer AMD desktop CPU's and see that they are all designed to run with a max of 128GB of ram . https://www.amd.com/en/product/12741 THis is the product page for the ryzen 9 7950X CPU . Scroll down and you will see max ram is 128GB unter the connectivity section .

Now on that note Intel are slightly different . INtel only support 192GB of ram on the 13th and 14th gen processors . 12th gen and older only support 128 . Check intel ark .

Now on the issue of motherboards . Yes some X670E motherboards can recognise more than 128GBs of ram . However the CPU still cant utilize it regardless of window or the motherboard recognizing it .

@ZingK

Again i find the TRX50 with the 4 channel upto 1TB of ram intriguing . Since it supports the pro CPUs . IT would make an exciting build case for future upgrades of the CPU since it also supports the pro CPUS . Not to mention the CPU clock speeds are close to desktop performance . SO it is possible this version of threadripper will be extremely high performance all round . I guess we just have to wait for benchmarks and see what happens .

I would be inclined to build the threadripper system on the basis of expandability with the pro CPUs down the line . Its going to be a big jump from previous threadripper performance . Intel HEDT chips do look pedestrian compared to threadripper . Again INtels new approach to CPUs is still in iots early days , SO we will see where this is going .

Desktop build you posted .

I would swap out the AMD CPU and motherboard and go for a Intel based 13900k or 14900k and z790 chipset. Your ram will be supported and it cost about the same .

Intel 13900K €608

MSI Z790 GAMING PRO WIFI Motherboard  €256

Corsair vengance DDR5 5200Mhz cl38 4x42GB €700

GIGAbyte RTX4070 gaming OC €670

Be quiet straight power 12 1000w psu €204

NZxt H5 flow pc case €90

Western digital black SN770 2TB €104

thermalright peerless assassin Cooler €39

total €2671

amazon.co.uk pricing .

I would shop around b4 committing to buying any parts . I only done a fast quick look on amazon . I didnt go through the pages to see any offers . I literally typed and picked the first part on the list . SO make sure you browse and look for deals . Could shave another 100 or so euro of the price . Maybe more .

I got some more information from software company and thought I would add it here.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/desktop.html

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

"The scores from that site correlate very well with software"

"Absolute difference doesn't really matter, check the relative scores. If one CPU has a 10% lower score then you can expect roughly a 10% decrease in sampling speed. Double score ~ half runtime, etc."

Your post is a heap of misinformation.

Consumer desktop PC's do support and are functional with 196gb of DDR5 ram if the motherboard has a updated its Bios, which almost all have. If 64gb dimms were to be made available, a quick bios update would enable them too. There are no hard limits to memory support for CPU's outside of physical limitations or licensed limitations.

DDR4's spec limit was 64gb a DIMM, with registered DIMM's being required past 32gb per DIMM.

DDR5's spec limit is 512gb a DIMM, with registered DIMM's being required past 48gb per DIMM currently. The spec is actually limited to 128gb.

Here is a z790 board with qualified 48gb ram support and supports intel 12th gen.

The ARK website and AMD's website are just not updated, as 48gb dimms only really went on sale this year.

Also, the reason we don't see 64gb DIMMs is that their isn't really a demand for them in the consumer market, but manufacturers were looking into them a good while ago. The half step 48gb DIMM's were a good compromise both in the consumer and enterprise space for cost/market demand reasons. Very few people really need large memory capacity and fewer still are willing to pay for it.

@Cuddlesworth

Intel ark 13th and 14th gen do support 192gbs of ram . Regardless of what the motherboard allows or the capacity of the sticks of ram . THat was my mistake . I havent really dealt with intel since the 12th gen . WHat i do know is certain intel chipsets limit that . Again Its something we should complain about to intel as there is no reason why the cheap motherboards can't do it .

However the ryzen 7000 series desktop CPUs all support a max of 128GBs of ram . I have confirmed this using a string in command prompt which pulls the CPUs max ram capacity . My PC uses a 7700x on an Asus prime X670E pro wi-fi motherboard with the latest bios . I can both confirms AMDs page is correct and that the motherboard does support more ram than the CPU can handle . THat said because the CPU limit it cannot utilise more as it cant map the ram exceeding its limit . If it cant map the ram it cant store or read of the surplus ram .

ALso done it remotely on a friends computer with a 13th gen i9 . I can confirm the 192GB limit . SO yes AMDs site and INTEL ARK are upto date . I doubt they post false information as that would lead to lawsuits .

I have a theory on why AMD limited . I think it initially was designed to run both ddr4 and ddr5 . Hence the hard limitation of 128Gb . I think the pandemic caused so many problems that AMD dropped DDR4 support altogether to reduce complexity to get a product out the door . Either the 128GB limit was forgotten about or it was left alone for the sake of getting a product out the door .

THe X670E supporting the 192GB of ram is probably for future CPUs with a different memory controller .

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I may have missed this suggestion being made already, but why don't you buy/build a Xeon-based workstation?

• Advertisement

wmic memphysical get MaxCapacity, which was depreciated to MaxCapacityEx

Wmic reads from smbios information, which is a informative table placed into the OS memory by the bios to inform it of what's there. It can be edited, for example, its common on scam graphic cards to change their smbios info to the naming scheme of the card they are pretending to be. This is basically what GPU/CPU-Z reads from. Its informative, not definitive. Its possible on some systems with updated bios that they still read as 128gig because programmers miss updating obtuse informative fields all the time and again, 48gb dimms are new and new memory amounts are a once or twice per decade event.

Getting actual memory address space from bios into the OS is a different process, but for most of us, if it boots, its stable, it gets into the OS and it shows 192gigs of ram then it has 192gigs of ram.

There are numerus examples of people running 196gig systems, of the OS and the bios recognizing the 192gb of ram

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh2devD4d5I&t=5s.

There are also examples of services selling 192gb servers.

Advertisement