Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

16 years in BMW 520d's .... need to jump (or being pushed!) to 530e

Options
  • 15-10-2023 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,

I've drive 520d's since 2007, changing my cars every 2 years as I do 40K (Kms) per year. Now that the BMW 520d is discontinued, I am being guided down the 530e route by my dealer. The new 530e has a 190 bhp engine and a 100 bhp motor. It has 100km range (apparently!) .

Doing OK on a trade in price for the 520d. Has anyone else made the 520d -> 530e jump?

I do North Cork -> Dublin once a week (600km) and the rest is local trips of 50-100 km. I dont have any charging access in Dublin.

I'm getting 59mpg per tank in the 520d so wondering if I should just keep the 520d and just drive it into to the ground over the next 5-6 years in the hope battery tech improves more. OR should I just make the swap now and acknowledge diesel is dead?

thanks

AMD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

If you're willing to keep the car, then do your sums and see what the best option is.

Personally I think EVs need another 5ish years to mature. There's a lot of upheaval in the EV world with new battery tech and new players from China, and I wonder what resale prices will be like once we're out of this post-COVID supply shortage bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Goose81

I have a 530e, the car is completely unsuitable for the driving you do imo You do so much milleage and what sounds like rural non city driving that you are essentially going to be driving a very thirsty petrol engine around. It will cost you a fortune in petrol.

Stick with what you have

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

How much is the 530e now?

Your day to day driving can be covered by even the most basic cheap EV but the 600km trip would require charging.

Depending on budget, Long Range Model 3, ID4 77 kWh, Merc EQS, and a few others would do the majority of the 600km trip with only needing one charging stop. And you could charge in Dublin while you’re doing your business therefore no stops at all.

It just depends if you’re ready to jump ship to the EV.

I also have a 530e but the older 9.2 kWh version and will do 20km winter and 30km summer which covers 90% of the driving so very significant savings made on fuel and tax as we came from a series of 520d’s too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,860 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

If you're absolutely sold on staying with a BMW there's always the i4 or i5

Every EV around will require some degree of charging doing Cork to Dublin, but there's a decent selection of charging hubs en route

I think you're at the point where a PHEV isn't suitable. Yeah it can do the 600km journey no problem, but the local driving will exceed the battery range most of the time and you'll end up using petrol

It'll be less than driving the whole way on petrol, but you won't get 100km on electric only

If you're willing to part with BMW, but want a saloon, there's the Tesla Model 3 or the Volkswagen ID.7 as well

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 21,393 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I would discount the 530e and go for an i5 as the 520d replacement tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Like yourself, I have driven 520d's since 2009, 30,000 km p.a., changing every 3 years. I did look at staying with BMW but the prices for their EV's are far too high, so I have just put in an order for a '24 plate long range (77kW) Hyundai Ioniq 6.

The 600km range quoted for the Ionic 6 is a long way short of my current 1,000km+ range in the 520d, so my driving patterns will have to change.

Diesels are not dead, but I sense that the second hand market in diesels is shifting and trade in values are flatlining as interest rate increases start to bite for everyone. I could have waited for my next change in 3 years to make the jump to an EV, but for me, the time is now.

The i6 wouldn’t be rated looks wise to me but technically speaking it’s a great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭joe1303l

i5 seems a big leap from a 520d in terms of pricing. A Merc 300de might be a better value proposition and capable of the Cork Dublin trek without the hassle of charging.

530e would do the trip also without stopping to charge in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 anthonymacd

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice. Great to see so many people are ex 520d drivers, who've taken different routes since then.

@CivilEx - Agree, the second hand diesel market is going to flux. My view is the "new" market sets the tone of the used market and rightly or wrongly, the used customer market will all be seeking an (PH)EV of some sort. Trying to use my crystal ball to see if diesels will drop in value or if they will maintain their values like a fine wine (unlikely!)

@the_amazing_raisin @ELM327 An i5 is about €90K so well beyond the budget but the range is good on 600 claimed KMs. @CivilEx I know deep down the Hyundai is a great car but, I'm keen to stick with the German brands as I like them. [Best of luck with the new 241 BTW !]

@Gumbo - 530e (new model just launched) is listed at €73K so fully landed on your door step about €75K

@Padre_Pio Agree EV Tech is likely to transform substantially in the next 5 years and my personal view is 1,000 KM batteries will become the norm. Using Smart Phones as a comparator ... in 2010 an iPhone-3 battery struggled to last an entire day. Jumping forward to 2023, a Samsung A53 battery last 2 days and does a lot more! I reckon Car batteries will do a similar transition and we are probably on the equivalent of 2015 now.

@Goose81 @Gumbo Spent the day playing with an Excel (modelling the petrol-only MPG of the 530e at 40mpg). If 40 is a realistic number, I can probably come close to the current numbers overall assuming the battery delivers 75% of the promised 102km.

I'm currently leaning towards:

1. 530e (if I can improve the dealer price a little)
    2. Doing Nothing and driving the 520d for a few more years (and buying an AA subscription!)
    3. Merc E220d or E300de. Rumours from MSL they are going to cost €90K which is again outside the budget.

I expecting to do a phased moved to EV with a PHEV for now, and then a full EV in 3 years time. Old dog. new tricks etc!

I'll let the Thread know what I eventually decide ... a lot of thinking and excel to do this week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 anthonymacd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I think the 40 mpg and the 75% range is spot on, as it has upgraded to 19.4 kwh usable battery, I dont know how you calculated the consumption but remember its both together for each and every 100 km, the hard part is knowing what value to put on each, long journeys will result in high fuel consumption and low kwh, the opposite for short trips, I would suggest 18kwh for 100km for the shorter trips,

reading the old 530e thread some one got 46 mpg on a 1100km trip, https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/114683011/#Comment_114683011

I would take a second look at the VW ID.7 given what you've said about the 530e prices

It isn't a BMW, but then again it isn't banking on the badge to the extent that BMW do

By all accounts it's a car that will chew up the kilometres and get you to your destination in comfort and (in my opinion) more style than the ridiculous looking cars that BMW have been putting out the last couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Absolutely and it’s a nicer looking car than the Merc but I’d hate to be funding the petrol bill on the OP’s mieage.

Yeah I get you now actually. The Merc D may just be a little more economical to run.

If it’s any consolation the long term mpg average on our one is 54 mpg. Mainly inner city and cross city runs though.

But at €75k, you have a lot of very good EV’s to choose from. That would be my route personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

Would you not consider an A6 40TDI? The have just got a light facelift with more spec and are priced from 60k.

Im watching car prices closely as was in the market - trading a 2022 for something new in Jan. -Although EV sales have gone through the roof, second-hand values appear to have weakened. Irish prices are impacted by the price dealers can import from UK and importing used diesels is very expensive due to high vet (often 20% for cars you are thinking of) plus the v high asking prices of diesels in England now. EV's and PHEV's priced the same as diesels in UK are much cheaper to import as VRT is just 7% and we are already seeing more imported premium stuff imported as a result.

For your driving it would seem like an EV would work and potentially bring a fuel saving if you can charge at home at night. You're probably spending something around 3500 euro on fuel p.a. and potentially charging at home exclusively you could drop this to less than 1000. However if you're staying away from home and replying on public chargers you'd need to do the maths as they will be dearer to fuel than diesel. Having said that if you spend say 90k on an i5 and it loses 50% in 3 years, your fuel savings will pale into insignificance.

One other item to check if you got for the 530e is the boot size- especially if you have to carry anything for work. The old model had a much smaller boot than the 520d but I don't know if the new one is better or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭djan

I guess it depends on what you're really looking for. Financially speaking, it makes zero sense to buy a new car doing high mileage. Especially given the driving in question, the 520d is extremely efficient sitting at 120ish km/h when compared to an EV. I'd say keep what you have and drive it until it falls apart. The 520 is a lovely place to be and keeping it will easily save you €50k+ over the next few years.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

With the new model and the larger battery , all but the Cork-Dublin trip from your weekly driving profile would be doable via Electric only.

Having a quick look at the spec of the new car, it looks like it doesn't have any "fast charging" available - Specs say 3.5hrs for a full charge , so faster than the current model , but no use for a public charging station during a journey.

On the longer trip you'd probably get 75-80kms of Electric milage with the rest of the journey at roughly 6.5L-7L/100kms assuming the petrol engine is about the same economy wise as the current 530e.

Depending on your home electricity plan you will probably save money overall , much more savings to be had if you have Solar at home as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭markad1

Having had many BMW's I feel they have lost the run of it regarding prices.

I'm currently in the iX and love it.

My last drive from Dublin to Cork and back involved stops in Circle K Cashel each way at the Ionity charges while i went to McD. 35 min stop was more than enough. Round trip cost €40.04 in electric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭GusGus

Why not buy a 231 520d - two more years of driving - battery 🔋 length will be a lot better by then

• Registered Users Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

How about the new Toyota Prius? Its a stunning looking car and not bad to drive either. Yes it will be no where near as exciting as the BMW on an A Road or a B road but is that what you want or just a very fuel efficient great looking car?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Battery tech is bound to take a jump , what about getting a 2024 520d , with your mileage ev and petrol are nonrunners yet imo, within six months you would regret it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

If you look on carzone they are still available.

Is it? Been hearing about this jump for 5 years, still waiting

Batteries are improving but it's incremental improvements rather than some quantum leap forward

Consider that most manufacturers are focusing on reducing cost than improving performance

And when these super batteries eventually arrive, it's more likely they'll be in the top end of sports cars before they make it down to the more normal vehicles

Also, I'm struggling to see how EVs are a non runner, they're literally the cheapest option for the OPs mileage

So 2023 520d. Not 2024?

The new car is not being produced in diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Too funny. The OP has been in a BMW 520 for 16 years. I dont think he is setting up as a taxi

• Registered Users Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well with a boot just over 200 litres I do not think anyone driving this Prius is setting up as a Taxi unless they aim to pick up passengers with no luckage so basically drunk passengers then.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

I saw a Renault Zoe taxi a couple of weeks back. Couldn't believe my eyes but it is a thing:

https://www.renault.ie/evtaxi.html

Advertisement