Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

16 years in BMW 520d's .... need to jump (or being pushed!) to 530e

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

The new 530e has a significantly larger battery. Claimed WLTP range of 100km so I imagine 70-80km should be very doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 anthonymacd

All - I was the original poster who started this thread. Having had a continuous string of 520ds since 2007 (one X5 3.0d in 2015) , I picked up my new 530e last weekend. I thought I'd take the time to write a simple review as a non-car experts / non journalist to help the average punter make a decision. I struggled to leave the diesel, so thought it would be useful to others write a "layman" review.

My last car was a 2022 520d M-Sport which covered 40k per year on a mix of North Cork -> Dublin, London as well as local trips. I drove the last car carefully and got ~70K from a set of original tyres so this suggests I drive the car "easy". I still drive on the motor way limits etc but tends not to do wheel spins etc! I do the same ~800-900 miles of trips weekly which is a Cork->Dublin run along with a route around Cork towards Bantry. In the winter I achieve 56MPG blended and in the summer I was seeing 61MPG approx. Tank capacity was always 1200 - 1400 kms.

New car has just completed its first week and after 1059km on the clock since new and 905km since the last fuel fill its averaged 52.8 MPG. This included a trip from Cork to Dublin where I did the first 90km on battery and the remaining 516km on petrol. This was the worst part of the fuel economy and the car averaged 48.5MPG for this part of the trip. Motorway speeds seem to be at 39mpg on petrol alone (was a very wet windy night). However, on Saturday I did a run from Nort Cork -> Bantry -> Cork City -> North Cork and this brought the overall average up to 52.8MPG. 100km local road driving seems to yield 43MPG on fuel alone. I'll report more after 5,000km once the car settles in, but if it stays on 52MPG I will be fairly pleased. Range of 1040km which is about 840km on Petrol and the other 200 on battery + coasting.

Aside from missing diesel, I am delighted with the car and its probably a bigger step up in terms of comfort/tech than I had seen going from the F10 to the G30 model. The ride quality on the car is truly exceptional, even with the extra weight. My only niggle here is sharp bends, you do notice the sway of the car ... it feels like an X5 sometimes. Doubt I'll see ~70k from the tyres.

Build quality, interior, stereo all seem to be good. Lots of press reports complain about the indicator stalk, which I think is fine. I miss the buttons on the dash for basic functions, but the touch screen is easy to use. The fix controls for heating, home, nav along with programmable shortcuts all make the car easy to use on the move. Yes, I would prefer buttons - but the BMW is far easier to use than the Audi A6 / VW Tiguan we also used to run.

In short, I am very pleased with the new car and not suffering any buyers remorse. I'll give the group another update when I hit 5k.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Do you have the option of setting what speed the electric motor cuts off? A colleague had a 530e while their car was in service and they didn't make it into work on battery alone at motorway speeds (although I think this was a slightly older one with the smaller battery) so they ended up with fairly low fuel economy due to the stop and go being done on petrol.

Do you think it will be more economical to run EV then petrol to finish the journey or hybrid?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

I would think driving in hybrid mode from the start during long motorway journeys would be the most efficient rather than running the battery flat in EV mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭User1998

Agreed. You should try use hybrid mode for the full duration of motorway driving. It might yield slightly better results, and should give a better driving experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Well wear, very honest real world review and I’d say it’ll serve you well. In terms of price, would I be right in thinking a new 530E now is at least €20K more expensive than your last 520d ? When you go to trade it next time, could a high mileage petrol hybrid be hard to shift compared to a high mileage 520d ?

Thanks for the comments folks.

@joe1303l - The 2024 car came in at €76K. The list on my 2022 520d was €63K. The list on the 2019 car was €54K. A lot of inflation in 5 years!! ... Agree with the concern with trading in a 2 year old car with 80k KMs in 2 years time. I am hoping the use car market will have accepted that diesels are no longer available. I did numerous spreadsheets on all this before I ordered the car and it was a toss between numerous situations on what would work out cheapest ... so I eventually took the emotional approach and ordered a new car ;-)

@DaveyDave @User1998 @PaulRyan97 - The car hybrid setup seems to be fairly sophisticated. When I input my journey, incl stops into the SAT-NAV the car does a mix of electric/petrol for the whole journey ...right down to saving 1km of fuel for the last leg of the journey. When I use WAZE for navigation, the car seems to burn all the electricity first and move to 100% Petrol. .... I'll be learning ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭User1998

When you use a cars satnav it usually incorporates the driving modes into the journey to be as fuel efficient as possible.

While using Waze you can just override the system by putting the car into hybrid mode.

Thanks @User1998 - something for me to play about with this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Deco911

Also similar situation in that have to move from 520d.

Dont do huge mileage about 25k km per year and it’s a mix of motorway town and countryside.

New 530e Msport Pro test drove and its class but looking for €78k, too much for the amount of driving I do.

Thinking of sticking to 520d and drive into ground. Or perhaps looking at 330e (wonder is the 330e big enough for car seats and kids stuff in boot?

Question, have they discontinued the 530e msport and it’s now only 530e msport pro?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The 530e is noticeably smaller in the boot than the 20d variant. A lot shallower due to the battery, I’d go as far as saying half the space in the real world.

We had an E60, F10, G30 (all 20d) and a G30 30e parked side by side.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭GusGus

530e m sport was available to order on line until very recently- it’s changed to only the 550e for a period of time . There are posters here who have just got delivery for m sport models - I think around 75k.

there is a general issue with the 5 and delivery at present so this might be the reason why not on line at present .

There’s a shortage of some part for them I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

Driving a 520i this week. Not as much torque as a 520d but nothing much wrong with it either.

Other than price?

At least there be no queing at charger videos 😂😂

Specced to 83k this one!

Point proved.

€45k used to get you into a brand new 520d in E60 format.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,406 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

€45 used to get you a weeks shop in Aldi when the E60 was new.

😂

Inflation is ripe but double!

In 2009 we bought brand new from Duffys for €44 odd. Le Mans Blue Msport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Yeah but it's all relative, I mean our wages have all tripled.

• Advertisement

I think there was a big jump with inflation in the past 3 years as well as increased VRT. But I agree with the point you're making. i went for a test drive in the new I5 M60 and it was 136k for the one I wanted. Insane. That would probably (and I have no idea as I wasnt in that market then) have gotten me an e61 M5 back in the day.. or the best BMW ever made IMHO.

The suspension and damper setup in the M60 is a lot better than the standard car, I will say that. I couldn’t get over how little a 1kg lens was moving on film when I was editing my video as a marker.

@Deco911 - I've just turned 3,000km in my new 530e M-Sport (not an M-Sport Pro). Delighted with the car and the MPG is only 4-5MPG below the comparable numbers for my 900km weekly commute. Suspect they have stopped the Non-Pro car for now as @GusGus suggested the shortage of some parts. The boot size in the new car is almost the exact same as the previous G30 520d ... but its about 7cm less-tall, but a lot deeper.

Reckon a 330e will cost almost as much as a 530e when you spec up the car ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Presuming your mpg comparison is with a 520d, that 4-5mpg increase isn’t bad. If you have free charging, your fuel bill may only be up €700 -€800 over a year at current fuel prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Deco911

The msport 530e Pro costing €79k €770 a month PCP

The Msport normal 530e costing €720.

looking at 330e Msport with a lot of extras during the week. My main worry is would 330e fit a baby seat and the room for boot. Hard to know, plus I think I’d miss my 520d. Which makes me think I should just refinance or pay off my balloon payment - only thing stopping me here is never get a new one then and I’m wary getting second half 330e/550e (old school with my thinking someone won’t look after it right).

It is a great handling car, leaps and bounds ahead of the 40. (I had an extended test drive of both). BMW deserve a lot of credit for making a great handling and good looking EV, except they've priced it way too expensive. There's no way I would buy anything other than the 520d at this point. It's 75k for the 520d touring, vs ~100k for the 40 touring and 136k for the M60 touring (the one I'd want)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Jizique

Fascinating that all this tech and inclusion of battery is leading to a 10% increase in emissions - Ince upon a time, this was all about lowering emissions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭djan

It's why for high mileage motorway usage diesel is still the way to go, especially for business use, regardless of EV or PHEV. Where the 530e shines is in the vast majority of cases where people will hardly ever use the motor as they do their daily motoring on battery with the motor occasionally kicking in at higher speeds or hard acceleration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Spipov

Advertisement