Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby world cup post mortem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭almostover

Porter harshly penalised at the scrum? My h*le he was. He's been driving crooked all tournament. Barnes was alive to that fact and Porter didn't adjust. It was pointed out online after the SA game that Porter was scrummaging illegal and it was a matter of time before a referee cottoned on to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Deub

The margin was thin between the 2 teams and the difference was the mental. The Irish team didn’t play as usual. Maybe for the next world cup, they would need to look at how to prepare the team mentally. We know they have the skills and power to be world cup winner but the mental let them down hence some of the bad decision and poor mistakes made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭jackboy

They are the most mentally tough team we've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Nz stepped up, they were ferocious off the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Staleturnips

I feel this talk of losing to a fine margin is a bit of a cop out.

The scoreboard may have shown a somewhat fine margin but Ireland made far too many mistakes and there was a sizeable margin on the field. Turned over too often, set pieces too frequently poor, they never led and ultimately that's where it ended.

They soldiered but I thought that they looked tired, BA aside the backs didn't threaten much of an attack. Did the previous weeks take too much out of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Porters been doing that literally his entire career since moving to loosehead. It's a running joke. Every referee could penalise us at any scrum if they wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,064 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Team will have huge regrets for the stuff they did that wasn't caused by NZ. Slow to the breakdown, inexplicable kicking, bad decision making etc. To what NZ brought - an incredible belief and upping of their game, they responded quite well and were within an unconverted try at the end. A try they almost got, twice in the last incredible minutes of the game.

Fine fine margins in a great game. Cannot be too critical of any of them. A 17 game journey of pure joy, I am glad I lived to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Ireland are now ranked 3rd. NZ are 1, France 2, SA 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

The celebrations after the SA game we’re notable to me, I don’t mean to go all Roy Keane here but the jubilation after that game seemed to be of a team that didn’t expect to win, I think this indicates the mentality that may be missing from an Ireland rugby team, it’s tough to say but if you don’t believe you are going to win then you won’t win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ireland rely on about 20 players performing at their peak to win us big games. Yesterday we lost because some of those players underperformed (Doris, JGP, Sexton, JVDF, Porter gave away penalties and our lineout was a mess) Mack Hansen was clearly injured going in and didn't last the game.

Instead of having a squad of players Farrell trusted to play an attritional tournament, he went into bunker mode and kept Sexton on the pitch for the full 80 when he could barely run for the last third of the game.

It is criminal to not use all 23 players in that game if you pretend to be a squad with depth and ambition to win the RWC

JOB was outstanding when he came on and if we had a boost of energy at 10 off the bench I genuinely think we would have won that game

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Fine fine margins

i probably sound harsh

The winning of the match was the line out maul with Kelleher held up

admittedly great defence from NZ but for me our hooker should have exercised better control at the back and planted the ball on the line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭riddles

Rabbit in the head lamps start last night created a back foot scenario which generates unforced errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭almostover

If he let Murray have it we'd have walked in a try. Look again at the fringe defence on the maul, Murray just had to flop over.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,692 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Never wanted us to win as much.. just fell short. That’s top class rugby. So much can come into winning and losing. We had some super play, some ok play, and some poor play; same as NZ. We lost by a single score..it was that tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

While I think calling Ireland 'bottlers' is disrespectful to the effort put in, I also think it's fair to say that the completely uncharacteristic panic in the first 20 minutes or so really cost them the game.

If we'd played with the same confidence we had in any other game recently, I wouldn't mind getting bounced out in the quarters by a quality side. It's the fact this team fell foul to the typical quarter final panic and did not do themselves justice at all.

So many uncharacteristic errors that I'd not seen us make in ages. Terrible breakdown speed, silly forced passes, isolated ball carriers, scrum malfunctioning etc. The Will Jordan try was so soft.

Credit to New Zealand for playing out of their skin and implementing a very smart strategy all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Keeping sexton on for sentimental reasons was criminal. When he tried that chip pass you could tell he was gone. We needed fresh legs. But my god the errors they gave up. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Still hurts this morning , scolling through here , shows the exteme , from smug Eire jibes to looking for a re-match - we came close , but many players looked below par, eraly on I questioned playing a near starting 15 in every pool games - Van der Flier, Furlong , Beirne looked over cooked - regarding Sexton, been an unbelievable 10 for 14 years, but Farrell hould have given Crowley 15 minutes last night, might not have changed, but maybe it might, a very tight game.

The players gave everything, and they will hurt so bad, for so long, hard to know how they get up agaiin, even winning the 6 Nations will feal hollow.

Players of the game - the Barrett brothers Savia and Bundee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Players of the game - the Barrett brothers Savia and Bundee.

Not to mention Sam Cane. The shift he put in was incredible. Will have shut up some of the embarassing punditry comments about him on Off The Ball recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,064 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

A management team is not just for Christmas.

They'll show their mettle now. Pick them up dust them down and prep/motivate them for the next time.

The games systems/structures are healthy here. That will now stand to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

That's just your mentality and a lot of fans in a fairy land. It means very little in reality that teams of the past also lost in QF. It's just an anomaly. Anyone who says otherwise may as well believe in Peter Pan.

dont watch OTB no more, smug know all presenters, who dont know as much as they think , all about dramatics .

If only for that tackle on Keenan, I could feal the hit in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

So in a game between Nz and Ireland only NZ born players scored tries

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭OldRio

'Even winning the six nations will feel hollow'???

No just nó. Ireland lost last night. The past is the past. Life moves on. New opportunities exist. When you look at some of the other Unions we're in a good place.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

Maybe it’s time Ireland actually sit down and draw up a plan and build depth.home grown depth as this Irish team can’t honestly compete with NZ,SA,Fr,England in a 2month tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Tweeter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Russman

Not a rugby expert by any mean, but as a fan, its very frustrating to lose to an outfit that (despite not showing it) we're actually IMO considerably better than. By the time the next chance rolls round that won't be the case anymore, they'll have their act together and we'll be minus a number of generational players that won't be easily replaced with our small playing pool. Can only put it down to some mental thing on the big occasion why we didn't turn up last night. Really annoying that we didn't put them to to the sword. but hey ho, it is what it is, nobody died. Really hope SA or France do them in the final though.

Thats how it feals today , its about 15 years ago when winning a triple crown was the big thing - we need to think bigger , our record in knockout rugby is shocking and needs to be addressed, we have done everything else , and I agree rugby is in a god place in Ireland, but for me we need to focus on WC 2027 , and how we can win knockout rugby , maybe this new World tournament will help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement