Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby world cup post mortem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Seadin

This is true. No excuse tonight for it not to malfunction after it was a problem against SA. We can imagine that our campaign will be over in QF in 2027 so Ireland can plan back from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Augme

Hitching our wagon to a 38 year old outhalf cost us. Giving him a final send of at the 6 nations by going all out for a grand slam at the expense of developing a back up outfalf we could rely was a huge error. Too much of this last year has been about Sexton and his last hurrah. Barring a HIA and being forced into it, I don't think Sexton was ever going to come off tonight. He's 38 and started every match this world cup. That's just nuts.

I think the management made a lot decisions that were driven by fear and they showed we a real lack of confidence in our squad. We should have never started with such a strong team against Scotland. Never mind doing it against Tonga. Far too many players played far too many minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

We have a serious mental block when it comes to world cup quarter finals.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Inforapenny

Sorry, Sexton regardless of his age etc. is still our best 10 & comfortably at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭hawley

Watching some clips and analysis of the game online and everyone saying that we were badly done by the referee and TMO. Aki was the victim of a high tackle at the very end of the game, Porter was harshly penalised in the scrum, NZ moving across in the lineout, forward pass for their second try. We probably shouldn't go as far as looking for a replay, but feels like we were cheated out of it. IRB doesn't want us in latter stages at the expense of NZ. We're a better side than them. Just bad luck along with poor refereeing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tmc1963

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

You must have been watching a different match to me. I saw none of the above.

Barnes was spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Enzokk

New Zealand showed the way forward when they fired the coach after losing the 2007 QF.

I missed the first scrum but the 3rd penalty was a joke. Porter had him man and I have no idea why that was not an Irish penalty. The NZ prop (not sure if it was Lomax or Newall) was not in a good place that scrum and it was one of those calls where the referee saw something early and went with it once the scrum crumbled. The fact it was the New Zealand scrum that crumbled did not matter, Barnes saw something and he ran with it on that scrum.

He wasn't bad today, just a few 50/50 calls that went against Ireland. But good teams overcome those to compete in a match, which Ireland did. Bad teams lose composure and fall away in a match and use that as an excuse.

As for the performance, I think Ireland played below what they could but that was caused by New Zealand coming out of the blocks fast and keeping it up for 80 minutes. We saw New Zealand being capable of this high performance against South Africa in Auckland this year, but they did not need to keep it up as the match was won in the first 20 minutes of that match. That Ireland did not crumble and got it back to 17-18 at half-time is a compliment to the team. A tough loss for sure but I don't think it is anything to be ashamed about. The team was beaten on the night by a quality team and the small margins went against them. The Jordie Barrett effort to hold up the ball over the line and the bounce of the ball for Sheehan on the touch line stand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Someone mentioned squads and ages, whether in this thread or the match thread, so I thought I would look where Ireland stand compared to what most would consider the other stand-out teams at the moment. I am particularly looking at anyone over 32 at the start of this World Cup as in 4 years time you would think a 36 year old will struggle to make a squad, never mind contributing meaningfully. You see a few older than 34 olds still producing at the top level but they are few and far between so that is why I am thinking anyone over 31 at the moment will not be there for the next World Cup. So the average ages are as follows,

Ireland 28.9, South Africa 29.9, New Zealand 27.6 and France 26.8.

Within those squad though you need to look at where the ages are. So for New Zealand you will need to look at replacing the hookers and locks from the squad that played last night (Coles is 36 and Taylor 32 and their locks are Barrett at 29, Retallick at 32 and Whitelock is 35) will need to be replaced. Lock is an area where they have struggled with and having to replace 2 from the squad and hoping a 33 year old Barrett will still be doing it will be a gamble. They do look well set up for the rest of the squad though, Aaron Smith will need to be replaced but Roigard looks promising and then Beauden Barrett is probably playing his last World Cup at 32. Moanga is 29 and McKenzie 28 so you would expect them to be available in 4 years time (at least age wise, not speculating if they will be available on selection criteria for playing in New Zealand).

France just looks set for now and the future. They only have 2 players over 31, Antonio and Taofifenua and only another 6 players at 30 and 31 years old.

South Africa is just old. They will need to replace one of the hookers (Mbonambi is 32), 4 of the 5 props (only Nche is younger than 30), at least 2 of the locks (Etzebeth is 31 but already had 113 tests played so a lot of mileage and Mostert is 32 and only Snyman is under 30 in the squad), at least 3 of the loose forwards (starting 3 today is 31, 32 and 37 years old and the replacements are 30 and 36 - Fourie as cover, only Wise and Van Staden is under 30), De Klerk and Reinach are 31 and 33 respectively as well and Le Roux is 34. Of the 23 for today I think they will need to look at 14-16 replacements based on their age alone. These are players that are 30 or older from the start of the World Cup and Pollard, who is an old 29 and has been playing international rugby since 2014 and has an injury record almost as long as his test wins.

Ireland needs some work on the squad, but its not as bad as South Africa. So the list for players currently 32 or older is Herring, Kilcoyne, O'Mahony, Murray, Sexton, Aki and Earls and you have an average age of 27.4 for the rest of the squad without those players. The problem area I see is that there are a lot players around 30-31 years old. But at the same time you have young players in the same squad already. There are 3 areas of concern I think, loose forwards, scrumhalves and centres. For the loose forwards you only have Doris under 30 in the current squad, for the 9's it is only Casey and in the centres only Ringrose is under 30, and he is an old 28.

The good thing is there will be enough experience going forward and there is enough time to find players to replace those that will need replacing. Maybe the first couple of Six Nations will need to be experimental to find those replacements. It could be better, but it could be so much worse as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭riddles

Why do Ireland leave the requisite gap on the lineout and other teams are almost in line with Ireland's thrower on ours. How does that happen?

• Advertisement

Not kicking for three points at the start had an actual massive impact on the scoreline for the rest of the game it's pretty much accepted by everyone in Rugby in a tight gae take the points on potential offer. It's exactly what NZ did. The other one in the second half as well was very kickable for him

Seems to have gone unnoticed in any analysis they played with 14 for 25% of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Field east

Now you have some idea of how Mayo feel - and yet they come back every time IN HOPE

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Tests are not friendlies. That's just a jibe from the rugby hating GAA types.

Attention now turns to the Six Nations and this team will be there or thereabouts, even after some retirements.

The intensity in both games against SA and NZ sticks very much in the memory.

On a wider rugby point, really enjoying this tournament. Today's games can go either way as well. Both of yesterday's, the pre-match favourite was turned over.

There is no such thing as a bad NZ team. They are like Kilkenny hurling teams - you would hear very little about the team so you would not know what stage they were at and they always managed to come in under the radar , just like NZ did this time. Ireland should have made no comment and if they had to then it should be about talking up NZ and talking themselves down -TO THE PUBLIC. It is another matter in their own minds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Shoog

NZ were better defensively. Ireland never put a foot wrong apart from a few handling errors at the lineout but NZ simply defended better.

To be honest SA should have beat them as well, they lost the match by not having a good kicker on the squad.

So Ireland were very good but you can understand why they lost out to the likes of NZ.

how likely is it we can get project players of the quality of the ones we have now under the new rules or is that a false understanding? What would that Irish side be without the project players just in terms of physicality. I think this heightens the sense of opportunities lost here.

Time to give O'Gara a chance - I feel sorry for Farrell as some people he trusted in so much didn't deliver when the chips were down but that's ultimately falling on him. Didn't manage game time in a way that the players would had enough juice either to go on.

The QF hex is actually going to be worse going forward into RWC2027 knowing that we are beaten before we ever play that game lets be realistic and whoever will be the opposition? Ireland are never going to perform in a RWC to an extent that we back ourselves to win at a KO stage. We need to be reminded that winning autumn internationals and series is not the barometer we should be comparing ourselves to and we have to be reminded that we never won a game in a RWC competition when it mattered the most. This one hurts the most.

There is a lot of negative comment about this team / about Irish teams in the future / about individuals - including Farrel. We actually came within a hairs breath of winning / winning position a few times towards the end eg that ball that was not grounded in the maul that got over the line,! The ball that Doris knocked on - he is not a machine, he is only Human after all; the very last play under the posts when Ireland did not release. If any of these pieces of play resulted in a try and we won by a point , instead of losing by four we would be saying that it was the best Irish performance ever, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc,etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Was at a corporate event in Dublin a few years ago and Joe was taking about how the refs performance is never the real reason you lose a game by a single score. He explained it brilliantly. Barnes was grand last night.

We have a line out that malfunctioned when playing against the stronger teams. I don't if it's sh!t and weaker teams mask the problem.

It's knockout rugby - you take the 3 points all the time. Especially if you're not winning your our own lineouts and getting pinged in scrums.

In terms of the future, while the IRFU do a lot right we need to have a massive rethink in how we develop players and give younger players valuable experience. Not just when playing Italy at home in 6N and whichever Tier 2 nation we get in November. The 6N is the cash machine which makes everything else happen so they simply have to find a way to make it work and mix it up..Players on central contracts who aren't performing should be dropped from the squad if they're not performing to ensure younger guys get the opportunity they deserve.

• Advertisement

I don't think winning that game would have resulted in people saying it was the best performance ever. It would have been default our greatest ever win considering we haven't got past a QF. It is logical to ask why we came up short and tactically that was the case as was Sexton's decision making, the line out and the scrum. That doesn"t denigrate the squad and management in terms of effort and commitment. It's just about learning and embedding that in the next iteration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

We did have a tough draw also. A mediocre Argentina team are in the semifinals without having to beat any decent team. They will now face the semifinals fresh, giving them the best chance possible.

Other teams incorporate the learnings of the past and iterate off it, we don't which is why we come up short.

I don't agree totally on that. If we had got Wales yesterday, I wouldn't be confident we would win with our mentality of QF exits.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭conquestscarer

Some of the absolute spoof and drivel on here is incredible. We lost the kicking battle last night so "Taking the 3 points" would have put us in suboptimal field position and put us under the cosh with regards having to win a turnover or the all blacks giving a cheap turnover, both of which we struggled to do last night.

The Farrell should be sacked stuff is such poor analysis, kneejerk reaction. There are some critisms to be had of coaching decisions, such as why didn't we get Healy into the squad over Ryan? Kilcoyne wasn't trusted to hold up a scrum and Healy is well able to come on at 60 minutes and do a job. Tactically I'd say we got it pretty right, New Zealand got loads of easy exits from their 22 and Barnes reffed the scrum like a SA twitter user and we kept it to 4 points.

Finally we really missed what Ryan brings to the table, which is attacking ruck speed by clearing out so well. Our tight 5 was in a battle all night which was 50 50, if Ryan was there it would have swung in our favour IMO. He might not have done the flashy stuff but he does the essentials to a high level.

2015 was probably the time for the kneejerk reactions, last night we went out and actually performed, Kelleher grounds a ball and Farrell is our best ever coach at a world cup, we were structurally good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭amacca

The reason you feel sick is we were good enough to win....but we didn't.

We were going into a match in a world cup against new Zealand with a legitimate shot ... it wouldn't have been a magical fairytale had we won

But

We were nervy at times, we made mistakes...lineouts, scrum penalties, concession of at least one if not two soft enough tries and a couple of moments where it was a toss of a coin didn't go our way..coupled with a highly uncharacteristic crucial penalty miss and knock on and some disappointing below par performances....

And incredibly we were within one point at times and could have won it at the end makes me think this definitely was one that got away....that NZ team was not even close to the Dan Carter, Richie McCaw era ...they were relieved to have won at the end.....my dad thinks they'll win the world cup, I wouldn't be surprised to see Argentina give them a good game of it tbh...despite how shite Argentina have bern

One try not held up and it was a distinct possibility...

Despite all our problems there was a lot of grit and determination in our performance.....especially after going 13-0 down.....but you can't hope to make as many errors and perform as nervy as that against any team in a QF and for it not to be a toss of a coin.

I also thought, we protected ball and ball carriers poorly allowing them to get isolated and committed too few to rucks at times....we had almost zero turn over ball....presumably so we had more in the line which to me is a fear tactic.....had we played our normal game in that regard it may have Bern a different story...we git badly exposed for their first and third tries anyway.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Absolutely, take nothing away from us not a single Irish player had a bad game. Just NZ went phase after phase & played the clock.

We saw nothing from New Zealand over the past 12-18 month’s to suggest they had that performance in them

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Found the rubber room of Irish RWC analysis.

Whatever you say, our best ever played their worst performing team of the modern era who played with 14 for 25% of the game and they won in every facet of them game on the night. Taking three points is conventional wisdom for a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

Do you even understand rugby? Aside from Aki that Eire team were poor throughout

Advertisement