Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outside blocks

Options
  • 08-10-2023 9:27pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With nitrates squeezing people may ditch drystock or rent outside land to comply I said i d put up a discussion on the pros and cons of different strategies with outside blocks .suggested options.

2 cut Silage with grazing with heifers spring autumn

3/4cut silage no grazing

Heifer rearing

Silage and zero grazing

Zero grazing

Maize

Wholecrop cereal s

Beet

Red clover

Typically new rented blocks need reseeding and maybe you could use out wintering with crops and bales

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Heifers and silage here, outwintering this year but prob won't do it next year. One pit cut early if possible and then bales to try and have a bit of constant after grass in rotation for youngstock and match them as their intakes increase. Time traveling back and forth, fencing etc all added costs as well.

Beggars can't be choosers but finding dry ground makes a massive difference. When part of the ground is only for for summer grazing wasn't much grazing in that section this summer.

To stay under 220 is fine, but if we had to do it to go back to 170 the economics wouldn't stand up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭alps

Could anyone break down the cost of growing a crop of maize? Just the different components..plough, till, sow, seed, fert req and cost.

Up to now it was an easier sum just to buy standing crop or harested in the pit, but nitrates will change that computation.

Contractor selling you zero vat product may make self growing unviable..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Would be.the.most common way of using outside blocks but can be a.pain to keep fence right on silage ground as ditches grow out and fence might be only needed twice in the year.the other issue that's come to fore for derogation farmers is water.often theses blocks relied on streams for water but that's not possible.anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Agree can be other issues like that as well. If lease can be gotten over a long enough term, water etc could be teased out with landowner.

Re growing crops I guess one thing that may come in that sides favour would be when clover is in most paddocks, extra feed may be required for the shoulders or spring when the clover isn't going. We were told the equivalent of a bale a cow would want to be there to counter for clovers late start, over and above normal requirements.

Used to buy maize at around the 950 to 1k an acre into the pit but that was 5 yr ago, dunno what it's running at now to grow or buy

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Jack98

We haven’t made maize here in 5/6 years used to make it on an outblock and into the yard it was standing us the best past part of a thousand an acre. Farming across 6 blocks here buffering cows with brewers grain last few years and getting on well with it. Zero graze the silage ground 4 miles away in the back end instead of going for a third cut and works out fairly well and allows us to keep the cow numbers up on the milking platform. 2 blocks are used for grazing specifically for heifers and beef cattle and the other 2 blocks are used for bales and grazing of cattle also. Good infrastructure is essential on the outblocks for managing of cattle you’re long enough on the road not to be messing when you get there. All waterways are fenced off with years because of derogation also.

• Advertisement

Which would you think is a better feed dry 3 Rd cut or wet zero grazing. This year is very tough to zerograze

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Jack98

Prefer the zero grazing here anyway solids doing better than silage anyway I reckon and not much of a hit to volume like you’d experience with silage sometimes when it’s introduced it holds cows well too the zero grazing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Saw this on Twitter and thought of this thread: "Effects of grazing platform stocking rate on productivity and profitability of pasture-based dairying in a fragmented farm scenario"

Abstract:

The area adjacent to the milking parlor, accessible for grazing by lactating dairy cows (i.e., the grazing platform [GP]), can be limited on fragmented pasture-based dairy farms. Such farms, with a moderate overall farm stocking rate, typically have a much higher stocking rate of dairy cows on the grazing platform This study quantified the effects of farm fragmentation on milk and herbage production and profitability in a whole-farm systems-scale study over 3 years (2017–2019).

Four systems, each with an overall farm stocking rate of 2.5 cows/ha but with different grazing platform stocking rates (GPSR), were examined. The proportions of the overall farm area within the GP were 100%, 83%, 71%, and 63% in each of the 4 systems, respectively. Hence, the 4 systems had GPSR of 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, and 4.0 cows/ha. The GP was used for grazing and silage (ensiled herbage) production, and the non-GP portion of each GPSR system was used solely for silage production. Concentrate supplementation per cow was the same across all GPSR systems; approximately 10% of the annual feed budget. All systems were compact spring-calving with 24 cows per system.

We discovered a lower proportion of grazed herbage in the diet with higher GPSR. All silage produced on the non-GP areas was required to support higher GPSR on each of the systems. Annual herbage production and milk production per cow were not different between GPSR systems, resulting in similar milk production per hectare of the overall system area. The economic implications of different GPSR on fragmented farms were modeled in 2 scenarios: (1) quantifying the cost associated with different levels of farm area fragmentation; (2) investigating the optimum GPSR on pasture-based dairy farms, depending on variable criteria.

A greater level of farm fragmentation lowered the profitability of pasture-based dairy production. Costs of production increased with higher GPSR and longer distances between GP and non-GP areas. At a fixed GP area, it was most profitable to increase GPSR up to 4 cows/ha on the GP when milk price was high, land rental price was low, and shorter distance existed between GP and non-GP areas.

Full paper here: https://www.journalofdairyscience.org/article/S0022-0302(23)00506-4/fulltext

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

It's was a tough season on zero grazing, maize and while the beet has barely started the ground would have to come a long way to make it easier.just a thought after this year is double cropping wholecrop an option.its just that alot of crops didn't get in the ground this year until mid May or after and seemed to do OK despite the drought that came after.it would have a number of advantages you re not sowing crops in the busy spring period.you d be less reliant on imported feed .it could utilise slurry.i accept contractors might like to put on the whole crop header the first week in June and that the "Spring crops mightnt be fantastic. Also throw in it might only be an option down south. Daft idea i suppose but it does mitigate some of the weather risk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Strongly considering purchasing a zero grazer here

needed extra ground with nitrates changes and it’s not near enough to walk cows too but it is near enough to zero graze

stocked high as is and would have to go back a long way in cow numbers if we didn’t take this ground

fed a good bit silage /maize /whole crop this year to keep grass on the grazing block. It works but I would prefer if it was grass which has me leaning towards zero grazing

I could take back my heifers off the contract rearer but I need to build a shed for them plus fence and water this ground aswell as needing a crush and still having to be there every day checking/ moving them at the very least

I would still be feeding extra meal and silage at home with the above option

have talked to quite a few ppl in the last few weeks who are zero grazing to supplement a high SR and utilise ground near by and they’re all happy with it but they did stress it took up time which is the biggest downside

but saying all that I think there’s enough positives in it for me to give it a try for a year and see if I like it /suits us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭straight

Talk about being in a hole and continuing to dig...

Go way at feck

you know nothing about me or my farm bar what I post here.

just because you don’t agree with running a higher stocking rate doesn’t mean I don’t

Anybody on hire with one near you.more and more decisions coming down to labour here and it seems to be easier to make silage than zero grazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I taught you had your own baler ,surely making wilted quality bales is a better option then drawing watery grass in the shoulders as well as most of the summer this year anyway ,Will you be at zero grazing nearly every day where as the bales will be done over a couple of days evry 7/8 weeks

Only answers that suit is what you want is it. I just quickly read your comment but it sound like you are building sheds, investing in more machinery, taking on a bigger workload with an aging father and all based on renting ground. Sure what could go wrong. Talk about risk and hardship for the sake of extra cows with no extra profit. Just my 2 cent like. Hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings or anything....

feeding really good bales made the first week of may plus maize and soya and 3 kg of a good nut in the parlour atm and the cows went up 1.5 litres on last nights collection when they got grazed grass back in the diet the last few days

Unlike yourself straight I wasn’t in the position to get a job for 10 years and build a house through it and arrive home then to a debt free farm

we all have different circumstances. My father isn’t killed with work.

He does as much or as little as he wants.

I will do what I think suits my farm best and you do what you think suits your farm best

but going back in cow numbers is not on the top of the list of what my options are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I'm sure you've done the maths on buy-versus-rent but I see a few around me get a contractor to do their zero-grazing.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

See what I mean

you thought you knew enough about me to comment with a snarky view just like I thought I knew enough about you and your farm

• Advertisement

I'm not so delicate. I couldn't care less what you do. Just saying what I see. Take a stand back from the whole thing and look at your system or get some outside advice. Maybe you will have as much profit out of less cows and an easier life. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Have a really good contractor here that was bringing in a load a grass all summer basically, it works grand and once you keep on a 20 day round, cows milk we'll off it, but Jesus it takes up some time out of your day, even having to put it in with loader then having to shove it in the second-time, if going in-house it will put a hour to a hour and a half daily on your routinebetween cutting and shoving it in...

I'd be very weary of a second-hand zero grazer too, contractor has a feed-all one on her 4 th season and she's giving a nice bit of trouble with wear and tear, he was going changing it but a new like for like machine is north of 75k now,

I have stood well back from it and looked at the whole thing

I’ve asked myself plenty of questions

this to me seems the best option. I could potentially cut back meal and get back under a tonne fed and hold the milk output

the big downside is the time it will take but comparing it the other options of cutting numbers or cutting a lot of silage and feeding it back when our cows are really geared towards grass it seems the best option

we’re making v good money here and heading towards a company to sort tax liabilities. Paying more and more every year despite the depreciation we have

Thanks jay

have looked at a fullly refurbed grasstech one . Nothing near that price but have heard mixed reports on that brand so not sure yet on what we’ll do tbh

coukd be paying someone to zero graze fir the first while before I commit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭jaymla627

It's probably a runner in your case, the load of zero-grazed grass was saving us approximately 3.5-4ton of buffer feed a day in the summer/early autumn, cows still where getting circa 2 ton of silage/maize a day but it would be up on 5-6 ton depending on weather when the zero-grazed grass wasn't going in, milk yields held up the same as any other year

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Bangoverthebar

I bought a used ab70 zero grazer last yr for small money. Very simple machine, a bit of oil and away you go.

Contractor looking at €100 a load here. I couldnt make that work, plus the inconsistency of working around contractors time.

I try only cut dry grass, if grass is wet i bring small loads. Its a useful tool to keep cows feed.

Its like some lads have a diet feeder and are into feeding brewers, maize, extra meal etc.

Im into grass, grazed, zero grazed and silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭older by the day

There was an article a while ago about a fellow he ran a front mower and behind was a pick up wagon . At least you could use the two machines separately. I wonder is that a bit heavy if the ground is soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

ah as i can see you more or less have your mind made up on going zero grazing.... would cutting cow numbers be such a bad thing?? think you said ye were milking 170?? how far back would you have to go for nitrates?? how big is your single payment?? could u do without it....?

i say this as a heap of lads around me are zero grazing.... and all they are doing is going around in circles... tho 1 guy did buy a new tractor last yr... he was sick of having to take off zero grazer after bringing in grass to put on slurry tank to draw out slurry so he bought a tractor for slurry tank now he just has to hop from one tractor to the next and no more taking off or putting tank or grazer... so i suppose thats progress...

hes doing the zero grazing off rented ground which he has with 10yrs... super job done with land... i mean super.. top class farm by him now... unfortunately the owner has got a notion and wants to go farming (big surprise to all of us) so hes going to be without a portion of it next yr...

do it for a yr and see how u get on... but long term i dont think its the solution to your issues...

I wouldn’t say my mind is 100% made up

I’m questioning it strongly but it has a lot of pros to it for me

were making good money with the numbers we’re at but I want to get back to a more grass based system without cutting cow numbers.

have talked to 6 different lads the last few weeks that are doing it and they’re all happy with it bad the taking up extra time part of it

I also have a bunch of incalf heifers that you couldn’t give away and they’ve great figures - in my opinion any way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

I'll take em for free if your looking to give em away😄 a few more empty than is like

Advertisement