Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v New Zealand Oct 14 Build up Thread

Options
  • 08-10-2023 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

Let the nerves begin

Post edited by aloooof on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Lowe and Hansen crucial, more so than Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Ha, nice and quick. I'm going on Thursday for a 5 day trip!

Waiting for injury updates on Ireland but if we get our 2 wingers on the pitch we are in with a great chance. Would it be an upset to win? Maybe in world cup history it would be, NZ are always expected to win but this Ireland team are as good as they are. If not better. I'm sure nerves will get to me in a few days but looking forward to the trip and the match. I know NZers will be just as nervous for their own team.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Have NZ shown enough evolution from last June to find a way to break down our defense ? I'm not sure they have. Jordie at 12 has been excellent, but 13 is still unsettled for them. Questions remain if they have sufficient ability in the forwards to disrupt Irish rucking. Lomax being out would be a massive boost for us.

The template from Scotland is a solid blueprint for them. Disciplined, smothering defense, attacking the ruck. France made them look very ordinary and I think we can do the same.

Weirdly enough I feel less nervous about this game than I did against Scots(that's once we have at least 1 of Lowe or Hansen)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

It's very hard to say what NZ team will turn up. Their last convincing win against a good side was probably SA in July. Since then it's pretty much wins against a very underperforming Australia and minnows and loses to very good SA and France teams. There's part of me that says stringing wins together is all that matters and part that sees the context of some of those wins.

Their forwards aren't what the have been in the past, but their backs are excellent. If we can beat them up front we'll limit how much ball their backs see.

• Advertisement

I think if we are to win ,its our superior pack which will do it.

Need the lineout on song, can't let them have easy platforms to launch any Joe specials at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Cannot wait the injuries are possible building up. May need to bring in a winger yet.

got a ticket on site today don’t know anyone going yet but feck it should be epic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭TheRona

From a Kiwi perspective, I wouldn't be too nervous heading into next weekend, although that may change. Ireland deserve to go through after everything they've achieved over the last World Cup cycle, and it would be nice to see Ireland or France win the whole thing.

That said, I think that if NZ keep their discipline and keep men on the pitch, they should make a good game of it. They will have many more attacking threats than Scotland did, with a lot more high balls, chip kicks and crossfield kicks. Savea and Frizell should break the gain line, and the set piece should hold its own. The NZ bench will probably have players that will bring a bit of X factor to the match.

Hopefully both teams get to field full strength teams and it's an entertaining match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭StevenToast

There is no question about who are favourites....its Ireland....

The only reason there is doubt in peoples minds is because of the QF barrier and NZ are decent enough....

I actually believe it will be a comfortable enough win for Ireland...

The only team that can stop Ireland are France at home in the final....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Who will be 10 & 15 for NZ?

RM & BB?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

Would hope they pick Beaden over Dmac, a step down in terms of an attacking threat.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭fitz

McKenzie is lethal with space, but can be flaky. BB the better option imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,554 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

And If all 4 injury doubts are confirmed? Still think we are favourites?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Absolutely....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

If Lowe and Hansen are out we won't win, if 1 is fit it's still in balance if we win

• Registered Users Posts: 23,554 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Be more confident about Lowe. Hansen is a calf injury so that doesn't look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭zx80

Hopefully Lowe's eye injury will prove to be a non-showstopper for him. Hansen's calf injury worries me more. Travelling to Paris via Brussels on Thursday for a weekend in the fanzone ... not Stade de France but possibly the next best thing (rain forecast, but nothing we Irish dont know how to handle).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,823 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think Hansen is more important to us than Lowe but Lowe's boot could be important.

My only concern about NZ is that Schmidt has more time again with them and even a tiny improvement might be enough for them but they're not the NZ of old either and we're better now than we have been in previous RWCs.

It's hard to see us losing this but it's New Zealand and it's knockout rugby. Head & heart says Ireland but I wouldn't bet on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Musicrules

This team is different than all our previous teams and they're about to prove it. No more quarter final chokes, they are the best team in the world, they are far superior to New Zealand and they will show by how much next weekend. Prediction later in the week but I'm thinking 10+ points right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Seadin

I agree, we are going to turn up this time with a smooth win.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Surely will be but MacKenzie has been excellent albeit against weak opposition.

Yeah I had a look back over the past few Rugby Championship seasons, and he doesn't seem to be selected for the bigger games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

To be honest, and obviously I hope I'm wrong, but I think NZ will beat us. This is probably the result of the mental scars of watching WC Q/Fs since 1991.

NZ will be incredibly motivated, they have a coach who has a good insight into our players (although our game is unrecognisable to the Schmidt era) and we have a few possible injuries.

Lowe and Hansen feel crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

To be honest, and obviously I hope I'm wrong, but I think NZ will beat us. This is probably the result of the mental scars of watching WC Q/Fs since 1991.

I think I'm the same. I can't get over my innate rugby pessimism.

By the same token, we have a squad of players who will have good insight into how that coach might set his team up to beat us. They have also shown that they can adapt to teams on the fly.

Agreed on the injuries to Lowe and Hansen, but elsewhere I just don't see where NZ can claim a significant superiority over the Irish option. 9 and 14 perhaps. Maybe Frizell, if he gets into a rhythmn on D.

But broadly speaking, we have a superior front row, and parity at the very least in the second row, backrow and 10-15 axis. I'd argue that our midfield is superior, and if one of Lowe or Hansen play, they are an improvement on Telea (in terms of all-around play). I'd even be confident enough if JOB was going up against Telea in the air.

They edge it in attack, we have a much superior defense. We'll have home-court advantage. They'll be motivated but easily spooked. We will be confident and calm under pressure.

There are a lot of reasons to feel positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭ersatz

I feel optimistic about this. Sure NZ can come out and play a game to beat anyone but this team knows them very well and is playing with such confidence and panache that I don’t see NZ rattle them. Schmidt’s impact is not such a great advantage either, if anything he hasn’t brought them the system consistency that’s his hallmark. That’s the least I’d have expected him to contribute but it hasn’t happened, still a few individuals who can make manic but a team that can’t deliver it consistently. To me Ireland have improved steadily and where they hit a bump against SA they figured it out and adapted on the fly. They demolished Scotland in 40 and eased up.

If we have 1 of Lowe and Hansen we may and only may be OK. If both gone I don't see how we win. Hansen vital to attack and Lowes left foot is huge ( plus his physicality) Anyway if I was either of them I would be breaking my bollix to be OK and fight through any pain to play.

• Advertisement

I actually like @leakyboots idea from the other thread:

Crowley to 15, Keenan and JOB to 11 and 14 (for the worst case scenario of Lowe, Hansen and Earls all out).

Pretty much the best we could do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement