Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Gerry T

• Registered Users Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭corkie

+ BBC and Youtube viewership? Some people went BBC for Norton over Marty's commentary. And youtube for none.

https://www.thejournal.ie/irish-vote-israel-eurovision-6378306-May2024/

• “In the Eurovision, we can estimate from previous Eurovisions that about 6% of people who watch the Eurovision actually cast a vote – and the number of people who watch is itself a small subset of the population.

Back to main discussion and sorry for off thread discussion?

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/05/13/middleeast/israel-restarts-fighting-north-gaza-military-strategy-mime-intl/index.html

• The Israeli military has renewed its fighting in northern Gaza where it previously claimed to have dismantled Hamas’ command structure. But it now says the Palestinian militant group is trying to “reassemble” in the area, raising doubts about whether Israel’s goal to eradicate the group in the enclave is realistic.

So bad news for Gaza strip!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

There is footage at one of the crossing points of hundreds of Israelis attacking an aid convoy and are totally unimpeded. The viciousness of this act is extremely vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Practically everything you said there is contrary to international law and at best forms the basis for ethnic cleansing and a worst genocide. The fact that you think that is grand is troubling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I wouldn’t worry, it’s a prepared statement especially prepared for us to gaslight “the Irish people”

the not making their mind up on if their Irish or not and the shoehorning in of irishisms is a tell tale sign. That’s ignore all bull S of the contents of the essay which appears to be formulated by some mix of chat GPT and a monkey chained to a desk.

allegedly, according to the Irish people is an attempt to slaughter the population of Gaza despite a very small proportion of them suffering death so far.

what happened at the Eurovision was embarrassing to see us portray ourselves as such strong anti Israel proponents on the European and world stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

"Hey look over there".

Were you, by the same measure, equally as supportive of all genocidal regimes in history? Aren't you a bit hypocritical to be so supportive of the Zionists if you haven't been equally as supportive of other similar criminal enterprises?

Were you as steadfast in your support of Russians butchering civilians in Bucha? If not, why not? Using your own example, were you equally as supportive of Assad doing said butchering?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Seems like you are in denial now. Trying like mad to shift goalposts. What do those Palestinian women have to do to get the benefit of your belief?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭engineerws

No women have come forward claiming to have been raped and there's no evidence of rape and certainly no evidence of mass rape.

Believe who? The Israeli liars that are murdering children in their thousands?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Out of curiosity, and without you producing another word soup, can you point to actual (i.e. real) examples of where Sinn Féin called to "wipe out the Brits", during the Troubles or at other times?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,001 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

this morning I had some silly people elsewhere on social media with agendas tag me in claims from Fox News and other drive by punditry that the UN “halved” the number of children and women killed in Gaza overnight, parading this as “proof” that the numbers were all made up…

The UN has this afternoon clarified that’s horse ****. They revised the numbers listed to those “fully identified.” There are still 10,000 going through full identification. This means we know with even greater confidence that at least as many women and children died as in the revised figures

“What’s changed is the Ministry of Health in Gaza has updated the breakdown of fatalities, for whom full details have been documented. So what they recently published was that they gave figures for 24,686 out of 34,622 overall fatalities recorded in Gaza. And those 24,686 people are the ones for whom full details have been documented.”

“In other words, people who have been fully identified, out of those, then out of that smaller number, that subset of identified bodies, you have 7,797 children, 4,959 women, 1,924 elderly, and 10,006 men,”

“And the Ministry of Health says that the documentation process of fully identifying details of the casualties is ongoing. Meanwhile, as you can see, if you do the math that there’s about another 10,000 plus bodies who are still have to be fully identified. And so then the details of those which of those are children, which of those are women that will be reestablished once the full identification process is complete. We, our teams in Gaza, are unable to identify, independently verified these figures, given the situation on the ground and the continuing combat and the sheer number of fatalities. And so we, cite the Ministry of Health as the source for our figures.”

https://www.mediaite.com/media/not-quite-the-case-no-spokesperson-rebuts-claims-un-halved-death-toll-of-women-and-children-in-gaza/

It appears the UN is still on course to corroborate the GHMs figures as it has in all recent conflicts:

https://apnews.com/article/israel-hamas-war-gaza-health-ministry-health-death-toll-59470820308b31f1faf73c703400b033

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Gerry T

I read your post, it's dribble. The use of percentages and the lack of knowing what genocide actually is doesn't surprise me. Your post doesn't warrant being replied to other than to say, poor effort try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

34,000 as a percent of 2 million is 1.7%, hardly a good attempt at slaughtering a population or replacing them. If we look on the other hand to another more very grave and brutal conflict, of which, there wasn’t a peep out of the Irish people in relation to, the Syrian civil war we see this hypocricy. In that conflict 617,000 out of 22,000,000 is a staggering 2.8% of the population albeit the war has been going in since 2013. 

I guess if we did nothing about Syria we're not allowed help Gaza or Ukraine or anybody else. Also, the fighting is in Gaza, which has a smaller population than two million.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I will wholeheartedly believe any israeli woman who says she was raped and/or sexually assaulted. the problem is that I don't know if any have. A lot of the reports are third hand. And unfortunately they can be groups in with the reports that a holocaust survivor was killed and all the babies were killed.

That's why I said I have no doubt that something happened, but the widespread nature of it has to be taken with a pinch of salt.

You might say, why would they make up such disgusting lies. Why would anyone create such stories? People lied about babies and holocaust survivors. That's disgusting. So yeah, it's right to ask for evidence.

And others have said, do you believe the evidence collected that Palestinian women have been subjected to sexual abuse? Or does your "I Believe her" stop when it's not an israeli.

Seriously, for once be critical in your assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,328 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Someone doesn't know what a genocide is.

Good old Israel warning people to evacuated to a rented city that can accommodate at best a couple thousand people, but they're trying to move over 300,000 there, while blocking aid, not having water or sanitation

Good old Israel they've only killed 1.7 % of the population, but they have brought 100,000s more to the brink of life altering disease and then there's the 1000,000 or more who have been injured or wounded for whom life will never be the same again.

You see it's not, and never about the pure numbers.

We had a poster here saying Israel faced an existential threat etc the killing done by Israel in 75 years far, far outweighs anything they've received

I've stated many times that there's enough reports that I believe rapes/sexual assaults happened. However according to Israeli reports it's on a scale that dwarfs what we can confirm. And we have no reason to believe them when they lied about so many other things and have no evidence except for third hand accounts that it occured.

I will believe any woman that said she was raped. I will believe any medical evidence. I won't believe rumors.

Edited for typos

Post edited by Grayson on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Two things can be true simultaneously: what the UN has claimed re: Palestinians, and what the UN has stated re: Hamas's rapes.

Do you agree? Deflections were attempted to justify Hamas's behavior in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Do you deny what the UN has reported about the rapes by Hamas of Israeli hostages? Do you think it didn't happen, or it's o.k. because some twitter rando you quoted says Israel's done worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Field east

I am as confused as ever as to where the truth lies in all the statistics coming out of Gaza from all sources. We have been led to believe that famine is JUST around the NEXT corner so the place must be, therefor full of proverbial walking skeletons. BUT on the BBC last night we saw tremendous jubilation last night in Gaza out celebration the pending and hopefully an actual end to the hostilities . There was a lot of young people /teenagers amongst the crowd- singing, dancing and generally jumping around the place - each one looking healthier than the other.

The only explaination I have for those starving/near famine is that some are given little food while others are well fed . We are fed , on TV , skeleton looking children -just skin and bone in some cases

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I wouldn't think using TV coverage is a great way to guage if a famine is imminent. The UN World Food Program Head has warned of a famine just last week and I haven't seen any reports questioning their credibility.

• Advertisement

You do realise that there's areas where people are trapped and cannot leave and those areas have been described as near famine. That means that in those areas people are already far less calories than they need per day. they are slowly starving to death. many are already experiencing severe malnutrition.

Just google Photo's of Famine in Gaza and you'll find plenty of photographic evidence.

There's far less food entering Gaza than there was before the war thanks to the Israeli blockade. And there's some areas where that aid can't reach because internally Israel is also blocking trucks or it's just too dangerous. Obviously there's going to be starving people.

I remember earlier in this thread someone claimed that Hamas were deliberately locking away gazans and starving them. and were then wheeling them out. The mental gymnastics that someone would have to do to reach those conclusions.

America has funded terrorism when it has suited them, always has done, always will do.

To claim otherwise is denying some hard facts of history.

Cuba, Nicaragua, Italy, Lebanon, Syria, Colombia are just some of the countries which have been subject to American funding of acts of terrorism.

I take my critical analysis from having studied American history up to a master's level, including several modules on foreign policy in the Clinton institute in UCD. I've researched and written on America's foreign policy in the late 19th century,

I've done a thesis on it's westward expansion, with a particular focus on military cartography and it's strategic importance in meeting it's "manifest destiny."

So no, I don't take anything from the realms of Russian disinformation.

America is not a peacekeeper of the world, not has it ever been. Its a keeper of its own interests. If it had not so much investment in Israel and vice versa, they would not be standing for what is happening, but business Trump's humanity with them, and always will.

My country has not used acts of terrorism thank you very much. A terrorist group from my country has. Go take your ignorance somewhere else. If you have proof of the IRA being state sponsored, go ahead and show it. There's probably some thing, no doubt about it, but for **** sake to try and claim America is not involved in terrorism is the height of someone who swallows the hurrah for the military, we are saving the world us propaganda machine.

Post edited by Weepsie on

You've started a thread loaded with accusations of Irish state sponsored terrorism and you have spouted the same here and you think you have the right to ask me to provide the evidence?

You maybe have a very narrow definition of terrorism in that it is people merely planting bombs on cars, and not the various other ways it has and can be done.

We could simply talk about use of rendition flights ( hold our hands up, Ireland aided that) and use of torture by us in Cuba.

There's the whole Iran contra affair too. Funding terrorist rebels in nicuragua while also selling weapons to Iran is a double whammy of terrorist support and funding. To claim that wasn't taking part in terrorism would be quite the leap of faith.

Why not have a search on the office of the inspector general for some details of American terrorism in colombia. They go into it in some detail.

I don't know what we want to call internment of Japanese people in America in the 40s. Maybe it's not terroristy enough.

Beirut bombing in 1985.

Hell we could probably call the communist witch hunts a form of domestic terrorism too, especially with all of the back channel funding that went to groups like the better America federation who engaged in decades of psychological terror and disinformation back at home.

There's no gloating. Just clarification. You accused me of swallowing Russian disinformation, making personal attack in doing so.

Post edited by Weepsie on

Advertisement