Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They can buy them but they must have a logo and barcode and be part of DRS.

They have until this day week to sell off the Polish stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Retailers cannot breach local labelling laws, yes

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭bog master

And our good auld County Councils who cannot empty their own rubbish bins are mandated to police that all retailers are in comliance!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭SteM

They have to be compliant with the scheme here but I don't know who will be visiting chippies in the country checking up tbh. It's supposed to the done by council officials but I doubt they'll have the resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭bog master

Test Test Test try to get this thread to be able to read latest posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The German system rejects glass bottles if the shop in question doesn't sell that exact type; so it would be odd if it accepted unrecognised aluminum and plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

• Registered Users Posts: 35,894 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭vafankillar

people also aren't getting ripped off in germany for almost everything. a can of coke is nearly half the price.

smokes and beer much cheaper, rent affordable, college affordable.

so strange how the only schemes we can follow from germany are the negative ones that would cost us more money.

if you we ever bring up some of the other stuff funnily enough it's the same politicians implementing this shite that would reply "this isn't germany we cant simply copy & paste that here"

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭pauly58

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/serious-concerns-over-lack-transparency-32887851 She asks some good questions, particularly the remuneration of the directors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

There's probably a bit more to takeaways and where they purchase cans than just this scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

Solution would simply be that they make it easy for the retailers / distributers to register the barcodes and provide a sticker / shelf label.

The machine does not have any ability to read the logo on the cans/bottles. It only reads the barcodes, which are on every bottle anyway - just a matter of registering them. The logo's only there for customer convenience and to advertise the scheme.

I assume though that there must be an issue with some items being sold in retail in NI without any deposit collected, and then potentially returned to a RVM here and having the deposit paid out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

I can see future scandals in the making.

Typical ireland. Never question nothing and plough on regardless. And no one held responsible or repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

The aspect of it I would question is that Ireland has privatised waste collection. I would assume high quality materials, particularly aluminium, going back into the 'green bins' must have been a signifiant revenue stream.

If you just shut that off, does that not potentially drive up domestic recycling charges and cause other issues?

I still think Ireland could have approached this with better at-home waste segregation.

Could we not just place colour coded bags in our green bins or something like that?

I'd have no objections whatsoever to putting plastics and cans into separate bags inside the green bin tbh. Seems like a simple way of making life easier for the recycling system.

I think though we also need to be a bit careful about how we're designing these things, including at an EU level. We are creating recycling / waste management industries that don't have any incentive to reduce volumes - quite the opposite actually, they're finically incentivised by the market to maximise the volumes of recycling they're capturing, and considering they're mostly made up of producers type organisations, then surely the incentive will be to keep lashing out the packaging?

Yeah, I remember getting annoyed that a cafe that sold cans didn't have a return machine. A friend suggested they should get soda fountain machines instead which would cut down the need for cans.

Which is probably what should happen, but why would a cafe spend money for the installation and maintenance of a fountain, instead of just selling cans. No incentive for them to switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭ForestFire

"The company is not intended to be profit-making, as the cost incurred by beverage suppliers when producing specially labelled cans and bottles is expected to be equal to the amount of uncollected deposits"

So DRS is a private company run by the beverage suppliers and they are taking the cost of labelling from us!!

Seriously what is this cost, how long does this cost last and why are we paying for it.

How many directors and how much are they getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Poland is planning a scheme due to start in 2025. Like Ireland it will be part funded by uncollected deposits. The more I check on upcoming schemes, the more the similarity with Ireland stands out. I don't understand why some people think our scheme is some sort of outlier. The old Czech system was praised here, but they are replacing that with a scheme like ours to get recycle rates up.

In my experience takeaways charge a lot for drinks. Could be compared to cinemas in this regard. People could buy them cheaper even with the deposit, and keep them in the fridge to use with takeaway meals they consume at home.

https://www.agroberichtenbuitenland.nl/actueel/nieuws/2024/03/06/deposit-system-in-poland#:~:text=The%20Polish%20government%20is%20working,be%20delayed%20by%20a%20year.

"Uncollected deposits will be used to finance the deposit system. The deposit is intended to encourage the return of packaging, thereby increasing the amount of reused and recycled raw materials used to produce packaging."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Massive incentive. Used to stock take in a nightclub I worked in. The cost of the raw ingredients for a soft drink are pence. Mark up is massive.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Yep, even in the eighties I used to charge 32p for a dash from those things in England. Nobody batted an eyelid.

Feckin disaster if one of the syrup bags bursts in the storeroom though 🤬😂.

I think nightclubs and pubs are slightly different and perhaps better equipped than a cafe having a fridge and some deliveries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

We used to buy gallon cans of concentrate from the cash and carry and the equipment was self contained. About all we needed to do was keep the concentrate topped up and very very occasionally change the CO2 bottle.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

So I've mentioned here before that my local Lidl machines were great and I haven't had a problem. Well today is the opposite, both machines out of order and were still out of order an hour later.

Fecks sake

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭RayCon

So you could say they have until the end of the month to polish them off ………………………….. I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

Exactly. Very cheap beer works in Germany, why aren’t we rolling that out?? Or Currywurst stands??

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

I used a machine over the weekend and had no real issues (apart from a local takeaway who charged the deposit on a can that isn't in the scheme). The machine worked quickly and gave me my voucher.

The problem I noticed though was that all of the 4 people who used machines at around the same time as me had their cans/bottles in bags for life which were then binned. All of them likely sticky and wet. Someone will be a long in a minute to say "Oh you can't clean and dry and have 100% perfectly pristine cans and bottles all the time?!" but unfortunately I and many others live in reality where our storage bags will get dirty despite our best efforts. Cans are hard to fully clean and dry based on their shape. Bottles fine. All in all it seems that people are going to be buying a lot more "bags for life". I've been using cheap big bags to keep costs down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It can be messy.

I leave the caps on bottles.

In cans I stuff one piece of (new!) toilet roll, which I remove putting in machine and bin. Lot cheaper than binning a bag 4 life and I'd run out of paper bags pretty quick.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I leave very little drink in the can.

Next step put the can upside down in a cardboard box.

Any residue soaks into the cardboard and dries out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Which in theory makes the box unrecyclable as it's not clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭patnor1011

It does not matter if there is bit of drink or paper left in a can as they end up in furnace anyway. Plastic recycling is more problematic and they should have insist on removing cap as that is different type of plastic and will have to be separated at additional cost when plastic gets recycled. (if it gets recycled). Same go for labels which may be made from different type of plastic albeit close related to the bottle itself.

Simple ask of having caps not included could bring company more profit as what they sell now is contaminated plastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

So why in the name of Moses have they started linking the cap to the bottle if the cap needs to come off??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement