Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm payments 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭eire23

Still waiting on the full eco payment, anc and acres.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭joe35

My eco won't be paid until I submit my sheep census. I have to keep stock under 200 sheep to be eligible for space for nature and thus the ECO scheme

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Has there been a breakdown of those 1,200 into different sectors? E.g. are they all beef and sheep, or is there an equal mix across sectors?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Sami23

This thread seems to have gone off topic recently talking about spuds and organic etc.

Can we please try get it back to Farm Payments to help each other out regarding payment dates n queries etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,233 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Never but its not rocket science. Ya you will make a mistake the first few years with any micro enterprise but you will learn from it and finesse the enterprise. As @Siamsa Sessions says start small with an acres or half an acre.

Strong farmers from the midlands never had to worry about micro enterprises. Great Grandfather and Grandfather on my mother's side grew apples and sold them locally but used to also go to sell ito the boat crews coming into the small ports along the Kerry coast.

On my father's side they raised Turkeys and sold eggs into Bandon and Macroom. Aunt who was married near Ballincollig use to sell free range Eggs into a health food shop right into the naughties.

Myself and my brother used to grow lettuce while we were in school. 4p/ head during May early June and laye September October. 3p mid summer. I think we did nearly 200 dozen one year.

So would I be afraid of any Micro enterprise no. However my first choice if I was farming and short of income would be to get a job.

But for some in area where all work is minimum wage and they have limited skill sets then if the spouse is working and tge cist of childcare is prohibitive then a Micro enterprise is the way to go.

It was you raised the issue about farm profitability and as I have often pointed out a 60-70 acre farmis onlying 15-20 hours a week if set up right.

I said potatoes but you can add in any micro enterprise. You can spend your time with a glass half empty attitude and always see the problems with life or you can look at solutions.

The solution usually easier. The man that never made a mistake never did f@@k all. its not necessarily spuds or pigs ( mind you it was Donald Duck that made the quip about pigs and I guess him the example of a micro enterprise around them).

You and Donald seem to think that you are entitled to an income from land similar to 50+ years ago. However mechanisation and technology has reduced the labour input and increased output so you have to adapt to the reality.

Like I said Micro enterprise would not be my choice as a decent job beats it. But it might not be an option to many.

I bought a farm. I developed it and increased it output. There is plenty of similar land around me that could do the same. Even land slight different could often better mine. But most lads choose to only see the problems.

Look in any parish and you will see well run places and badly run places. BIL keeps blaming his land type. However he chooses sucklers and runs them set stocked for most of the summer. Runs out of grass middle of September. Last few years has not dehorned the calves when born.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Packrat

I agree with your point but that discussion had fizzled out anyway.

Most payments are paid (yes i realise not all and how important that is) so the thread is bound to become quieter.

If you've something to post about payments or dates then post away, nobody stopping you.

What you're at now is backseat modding.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 19,170 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

My original response to you was that the 1970's called and wanted their advice back. Now you are basing your advice on your fathers time, and your grandfather and great-grandfather.

People are free to do what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There are still lots of niche areas. You can see ETTG and the Farming Indo, highlighting these regularly, to give colour to their content. A poly tunnel with early summer greens will make a good return. Jim Cronin and many others like him, show a living can be made on about 15 acres, but you do need to be very skilled and committed. Doing pedigree stock is a niche. lots of people at such things when you think about it. Any thing to top up the farm payments or visa versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

Taking about technological advances and reduced labour input vs out put but also about kids growing lettuce. It’s a miss mash of randomness 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Actually the lack of diversity on most Irish Farms compared to 50 years ago is probably Irish Farmings greatest weakness atm - all thanx to the perversity of the Headage madness under early CAP😒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

50 years ago 90 percent of farmers were full time. And could support a family on it.

Thats on its head now for the under 60’s I would say. 10-20 percent full time and the rest it’s a side gig. All the “diversity” in the world won’t make a real difference to incomes etc.

There are 130k + farms in Ireland.

Name 60 different diversity options for incomes. Fire 500 farms at each of them and suddenly the arse would fall out demand of each of those options as supply is saturated. That type of thing is for ear to ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,210 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Are the department working atm or are they not back until next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

I’d imagine the poor pets won’t be back till January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Apologies for the complete beginner question but I recently signed up to agfood after taking over at home fairly suddenly. My father was majorly technophobic and was forever a blue book man '' A pen and paper never got a virus''.

This years payments came in last week but I'm trying to find a breakdown of which payments are which on agfood but I'm completely lost on there. The payments came in 2 seperate lump sums notified by text msg while I was waiting for my agfood account details but I just want to find out what the amounts are exactly because there's a few different schemes we're involved on ACRES, BISS, etc . Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Imagine you set up a successfull micro enterprise with a big investment of time and labour,what are the chances your neighbours down the road will just copy your brainwave and erode any bit of profit you might make,this is normally the run of things

• Registered Users Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭tanko

All your individual payments are under Financial self services on Agfood.

Also if you don’t want to be using the blue book any more make sure you click on “register for use of online movements” or something like that under animal identification and movements so that you can use your herd register on Agfood for inspections if you get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭endainoz

They could for sure, but I still don't think it's the best attitude to have towards diversifying a farm income. I see sort of similar attitudes from lads who refuse to move from high inputs/high production models. Like the world might starve if they cut back on numbers.

Every Irish farm was growing something at some point, no reason why it can't happen again on a very small scale. Even if someone grew enough veg for example to cover them for a few months. Won't make them rich but would be far healthier to eat your own stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Dunedin

From the Teagasc national farm survey 2022. So essentially dairy and tillage would but beef and sheep would not function without direct payments.

@Bass Reeves

I only mentioned profitability as that’s what I perceived the previous poster was asking re how many farms would function without direct payments.

I certainly don’t think I’m entitled to any farm income. Whatever I get I earn it. But I won’t be encouraging anyone to grow apples, sell eggs, spuds, turnips, mangles either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

@Schwiiing I'll take a stab at it.

ACRES 2023 Payment of 85% paid dec15. Final payment May 2024.

ACRES 2023 replaced GLAS, GLAS 2022 Final payment paid on 13 March 2023

BISS+CRISS 2023. Payment 70% Oct 24, Final payment Dec 4

ECO 2023. Payment 70% Oct 31,Final payment Dec 11

BISS+CRISS+ECO 2023 are a replacement of the old BPS+Greening.

There was a final 2022 Greening payment paid on 26 Jun 2023

ANC Payment 85% Oct 17, Final payment Dec 1. ANC Areas of Natural constraint - also known known as disadvantaged areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Think your first sentance proves my point - the loss of diversity in terms of outputs(ironically brought about by the high input intensive model) is at the heart of shrinking farmer numbers and a rising age profile over the past 50 years. Pushing more of the policies that brought us to that makes no sense to me, yet that is what appears to be the main policy of most farming orgs and others who claim to represent Irish Farming. Again it highlights the urgent need to further reform the CAP to address such issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭dmakc

National Reserve on Young Farmers anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Has anyone gotten their acres payment yet? I understood it was to be paid on dec 15 but not a cent received here yet (not a CP zone which I know is pushed to next year).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes Acres paid here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭kerrysoul

Your ACRES payment is stalled because of some probably minor glitch. Email your query to, acres@agriculture.gov.ie

In fairness they will get back to you fairly quickly with a reply. I believe that acres payment runs will re-commence after Jan 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭ginger22

What a load of nonsense. It is the cheap food policy and the power of the big supermarkets and consumers unwilling to pay viable prices that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Still waiting on ACRES as well.

Sent an email to the address above when I read it, got a response back within 10 mins.

The email itself wasn't what I wanted to hear, but the response time was almost immediate to be fair…

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭kerrysoul

Just wondering if the email is AI generated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Maybe, didn’t read like it, but it’s possible…

Advertisement