Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Fuel Payments for pensioners on 52k per year, Is Our welfare system out of touch?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭JVince

That family of 4 would be entitled to about €200 a week Working Family Payment. They'd also have full medical cards and assuming 2 children they'd have school clothing allowance and plenty of other benefits too. But most of all they'd have an incentive to work rather than be on social welfare

BTW the married pensioners on 52k will be paying about €3000 tax and also one day you will be a pensioner and be glad of the scheme if your total pension is 26k or less

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

what would you prefer? That they squander every last penny they have on drink and drugs during their working life. Then soley rely on the state in retirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I suppose the PRSI they paid during their careers just vanished?
    (Yes I know it's paying for the pensions of those who retired when they were working, but you understand the notion of contribution)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,508 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The state pays them the same either way.

The only difference is giving a very generous (more generous to top rate taxpayers than lower) tax break to relatively or quite well off people.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They avoided paying tax on it by putting it into a pension fund, enjoying considerable growth on the tax free amount, and benefiting from the many tax breaks for older people when they come to draw down the income in retirement. They could be drawing it down from age 50, if they've left the employment in question, making it a legal, transparent tax avoidance scheme.

And yes, I've availed of that tax relief too, you'd be a fool not to. That doesn't make it right.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Winter Fuel Payment is a means tested benefit. If you qualify, then that is OK.

However, means tests vary, depending on the benefit - and it is a political decision how they play out. I would like to see the means tests revised to make them more evenly spaced so it is not a case of get one and you get all, but miss one and you miss them all.

I would like to see Child Benefit raised by 60% and subject to income tax as income. It would those on the highest tax of 40% would still get the current amount, while those that do not pay tax and have children will get 60% extra. This would have a massive effect on child poverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,312 ✭✭✭✭zell12

income increase for those in employment is 1.8% for 2023/24. By contrast, many of those in ­receipt of welfare payments are ­comparatively better off. The 157,000 people on disability allowances will get a net increase in incomes of 3.8%, as will the 146,000 on Jobseeker’s Allowance.

Advertisement