Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for engineering or creative minds please

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Not being a Guinness drinker - what does drinking through the head actually do? Does it pull some of the head in with the stout when you drink?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭emaherx

A stepper motor is not complex, and I don't think anybody said it was. The degrees of and movement in the whole movement are what makes it complex. Lifting and rotating at the same time. The movement pattern needs to adjust as you drink a pint, so weight sensors would be needed and something to run angle calculations.

There is really no need for any angle calculations or sensors, a couple of stepper motors and joystick control, he already uses a joystick to control a wheelchair. Same as any industrial loader 2 axis can be precisely controlled with a joystick and if a 3rd is needed a simple button for change over (the button can be foot operated).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

A couple of stepper motors, is one thing, but you also need a power supply, and a remote control, and wiring, and waterproofing, and failsafe electrical design (we cannot afford a short circuit and fire), and calibration, and anything else I've forgotten about to make and electrical system safe.

It's added complexity I'm my experience. Potentially justified if many were to be made, but right now it's just 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Hijpo

It's a hobby kit for kids and for some reason its expected to meet industrial safety standards and operate like a Staubli arm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

Yes actually, it is.

Nevermind the consequences of spilling a (potentially) hot drink over someone, or dropping a glass, the risk of fire is a real one when dealing with anything electrical. Dublin Fire Brigade are constantly warning of the dangers of leaving phone chargers in overnight, because even very low voltage devices can cause a fire.

I'm not trying to put anyone's idea down, and personally I think the microphone stand is up there with the simplest and the best. Keeping away form electronics if at all possible is ideal.

But it isnt. It's a weighty pint not a hot drink, the motor isnt going to drop the glass the holder will , the risk of electrical fire is minimal, about as risky as anything else running 5v in your house and a lot less risky than batteries failing in an unattended phone while charging. Mount it on the frame to avoid coming into contact with spilled liquid if necessary. Potential risks can be mitigated.

I under stand you are not intentionally putting an idea down, however some of the down sides and complexities introduced in various posts do seem to be for the sake of listing down sides and complexity.

Anyway, I hope the OP gets sorted soon.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭emaherx

Yes fail safe design is important regardless, even a fully mechanical solution poses risk, nobody wants to see a pint glass propelled into someone's face or the risk of pinch points etc.

But it's a low voltage system being proposed, IP rated PSU's are available off the shelf as are suitable controls. Yes the system would need to be put together by a competent person and liability may be a huge issue for anyone considering taking on the challenge.

Error.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I don't see any need for automation.

Surely the end user in this case can operate a mechanical lever down at knee level or so to control the action of the pint glass.

2 to 1 lever should make the movement light and controllable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Guys check this out. Found by a boardsie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Ew81nZA1I

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

[quote]Guys check this out. Found by a boardsie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Ew81nZA1I[/quote]

That's brilliant.

Some great suggestions on this thread, I hope you find one that works for you. Cheers!

Exactly what i was thinking but with a stepper winding on the string rather than a foot pedal pulling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I've been doing some thinking on this based on kirving Post earlier.

Will post when I have a presentable idea.

At the moment I'm just considering if the most suitable would be floor standing, table standing or something that can be attached to the wheelchair.

We have a roofer in the family which might come in handy but I'm also wondering if I might be better approaching someone with design experience

Instead of the foot pedal what would be very handy would be a larger joystick like the one on the wheelchair with forward to tilt forward for drinking and backwards to tilt upright.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I'd consider contacting NUIG, UCD, or DCU too OP.

I did a Bioengineering masters about 10 years ago in UCD, and my thesis was to work on a mattress material and frame design for an individual who needed someone to turn him every 30 mins at night - he wanted to try and get something that would do it automatically so his sleep would not be disturbed and he wouldn't need another person to stay in the room all night with him.It involved a good bit of 3D modelling.

Bioengineering can range from prosthetics and robotic limbs, implants for different diseases, machines in hospitals but also designs and solutions to help people living with disabilities with simple tasks around the home.

If you google those colleges in particular and perhaps Trinity aswell, you may find help.I mention those 4 specifically as they have well established bioengineering and related programmes ,and DCU also has good robotics and mechatronic programmes aswell.You might have some success there too.

Advertisement