Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildcards discussion during FPL 23'/24'

Options
  • 22-09-2023 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Firstly apoplogies for long post!😄

Thought it might be a good idea to create a unique thread for all WC chatter throughout this FPL Season.As sometimes it can tend to derail the individual GW transfer threads when people start throwing up their possible WC teams and asking for advice on them.

Traditionally I would generally tend to WC around GW4/5 if I have made a reasonable start to the Season and have built up some team value by jumping on a few bandwagons to eke out a few precious .1 price increases during the early GW'S.

In recent season's imo it has proven easier to put together a decent squad without worrying about going over budget.

My Current Squad-

Onana Turner

Botman Gusto Estupian Henry Baldock

Martinelli Rashford Mbuemo Maddison Eze

Haaland Alvarez Watkins

Early Season thinking was start with a relatively cheap Defence,quality Midfield and Haaland plus 2 decent strikers.

Injuries early on have caused me bother, Gusto came in for James,Estupian for Mings etc and now I have Martinelli,Baldock and Henry out of action!😠

On O.R. of 2.1m which isn't a great start.

WC time to fight some fires!!....... and go to form players with decent upcoming fixtures.Onana was a total bust as keeper,had Jaao Pedro up front in first few weeks but then he dropped to subs bench so I brought in Alvarez.

Current Draft- Versus possible Alternative Draft- (has 2 different defenders)

Leno Areola Leno Areola

Cash Botman Udogie (Bell and Ream) Gusto Saliba Botman Udogie Ream

Saka Maddison JWP Salah Mbuemo Saka Maddison JWP Salah Mbuemo

Haaland Alvarez Edouard Haaland Alvarez Edouard

That squad leaves me with a healthy 0.9m ITB Would have 0.3m ITB with this Squad

Am veering towards first squad as fear Gusto may soon be replaced by a fit again James. I like the choice of a 4m Luton defender (Bell) as they have a double GW7 and are good bench fodder for months ahead.

Appreciate others thoughts on my suggested WC options as lots of people will be considering hitting the WC button over the next few weeks.

We can all bounce ideas off each other, if not for the 1st WC, certainly for the post Christmas one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭nice bit of green

Ah I did mine last week for the first reason you outline above. Scored 39 points so shouldn’t have bothered really. But it was only 1 GW so it could be all sunshine and roses come Sunday evening.

Turner (Flekken)

Saliba, Van de Ven, Chilwell (Estu, Mengi)

Son (c) Maddison, Foden, Andreas (Mbuemo)

Haaland, Alvarez, Awoniyi

Tmw is swap the gk, Andreas to Mbuemo and C on Haaland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Often happens that your WC team underperforms the week you pick them,but on the long run it works out for the better.

Takes lads a few weeks to get used to playing together and all that!😉

• Registered Users Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

So if I got 58 last week on WC, are you saying I should be getting 70+ this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Certainly not…….at the end of the day luck plays a huge role in FPL, for eg by all accounts Haaland could have scored a bagful last weekend and had to be happy with one.

Paradoxically WC teams should in theory hit the ground running but it’s certainly not always the case…..that was just my observation.

But if you make smart decisions shaking up your team on a WC,generally over the following 7/8 GW’s your scores should outstrip your Pre- WC sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,469 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Current draft and edging closer...

Areola

Trippier Botman Cash

Salah Son Maddison Diaby JWP

Haaland Darwin

Turner Kabore Taylor Mubama

Zero itb. Bench is quite weak and I'm mindful that I'll have to get through to the New Year with this squad. But I'm v happy with the starting 11 and finding it hard to compromise.

Thoughts?

• Advertisement

Is Diaby worth the money? could you for instance put in a 4.4m player and use the funds to upgrade Mubama or your 3rd Striker? Even the like of Gordon bit cheaper and doing well. I haven't looked at numbers but you should be able to get Alverez in there if you wanted.

Yeah I had Alvarez but think I just prefer having a punt on Darwin. Not sure I want to go 3-4-3 but will play around with it some more. Like the look of Diaby and those fixtures but Gordon is definitely under consideration too.

Ha yea like I said i didn't do the numbers, i think i have 7 of those players you have, and went with Haaland, Darwin and Alverez, but your defense is stronger than mind so that's where some of the money is tied up. One thing just noticed though you don't have estupinan - for a lad that's returning well and is owned by 62% of teams, it's probably a little risky.

Yeah I had him but let him go because I don't like their next few fixtures but plan to get him and Mitoma back in for their nice run. You didn't fancy Villa's attack? They seem to capable of racking up big scores against the lesser teams. That's why I'm keen on Diaby as a cheaper way in than Watkins.

To be honest I wanted Nunez and JWP. When I did WC 2/3 weeks ago Alverez was on fire so I’ve been lucky to get a few of his returns. Watkins wasn’t really scoring - more assisting I feel like Nunez is more likely to get double digit score than Watkins (obv could be wrong and Watkins is rota proof). Time will tell - in hindsight I should have made room for Newcastle defender but will figure that out in time.

• Advertisement

Yeah I want Nunez and JWP too. Edging closer to dropping Trippier now and just going with Botman and Burn instead. Makes the side a bit more balanced and means I've money in the bank to get Saka back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Decided to hit the WC last night

Areola, Turner

Tarko, Botman, Cash, Udogie, Taylor

Salah, Gordon, Son, Bowen, Rashford

Alvarez, Haaland, Archer

Not a fan of Tarko, but leaves me exact money for Bowen to Maddison for his good run next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭crushproof

Manic chopping and changing over the past 2 days. It'll probably be a total fail but anyway.

Areola Turner

Digne (trap) Estupinan Botman Branthwaite Udogie

Gordon Salah Son Diaby Saka

Alvarez Haaland Semenyo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭COH

Currently 3m OR so looking at the following WC this week as am getting crushed with flags and price changes

Areola - Turner

Cash - Burn - Trippier - Anderson - Lamptey

Saka - Son - Diaby - Bowen - Gordon

Haaland - Watkins - Alvarez

Strong front 8 as Alvarez minutes likely to suffer once city's injury concerns ease up and champions league rotation kicks in. Gordon suspended next week anyway but he's cheap and relatively nailed until Barnes comes back (I think).

Hard to look past Spurs, Newcastle & Villa form + upcoming.fixtures anyway. Easy swaps back to Brighton assets from GW10 in any case. Kept Saka as he seems central to Arsenals general play.

Only think I dont like is no Salah... but him + Haaland just eats up so much money. Any advice welcome anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I probably could have waited with my WC, but too many players I didnt like the look of (Onana, Gabriel, Chilwell, Sterling, Morris). I lost out on around 0.3m by not hitting the WC button Saturday night but did it last night. My latest draft is below. Fairly happy with it but my bench is woeful.

Areola - (Turner)

Cash - Burn - Udogie - (Lamptey - 4m)

Son - Salah - Maddison - Mitoma - (4.4m)

Haaland - Watkins - Alvarez

This leaves me with 0.2m ITB. I'm hoping for a double rise of Trippier and Bowen to gain some value, and if Veltman and Baldock drop in price, that would be lovely. Thinking ahead, I can always bring Saka back in for Son, and Estupinan in for Udogie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Just played WC. Was hoping to get to the next international break, but just not happy with the team.

New team:

Leno

Anderson - Trippier - Tarkowski

Salah - Neto - Son - Jensen

EBH - Watkins - Morris

Bench: Areola - Douglas Luiz - Coufal - Burn

Have you much money in the bank? Taking a punt on one of Morris, Neto or Jensen is fine, but I can't see them all continuing their form personally. I'd be inclined to move Jensen to a 4.4m and Luiz to a 6.5m (maybe Mitoma?). Maybe Morris to Alvarez too if you can spare some funds.

Luiz seems to be bps magnet if he scores, twice scored in 90+ minute and picked up 2/3 bps. think he got 2 bps at the weekend for a goal in 97 minute.

Agreed about Morris - it's Luton after all - they won't be creating that many chances in game for you to want to start him each week, Archer at 4.5m would be just as good, cause he'll play and be a cheap bench fodder.

Neto isn't really a punt - he's one of the few players who has consistently returned over the last 5 games, if anything he's gone under the radar - Nearly 10 times as many people have Mitoma, even thought he's more expensive and only score 2 points more this season.

Feel like you need Saka in there, and potential a west Ham mid be it JWP or Bowen.

Neto is fine yeah. Wolves don’t typically score many goals but I can see that he’s good value and in form. Personally I would not be confident or excited starting two of Jensen, Luiz or Morris every week. Definitely think one of those need to be become cheap bench fodder and then another one bumped up to Alvarez or a better mid priced midfield like Mitoma or JWP.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,168 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There's a bit of WC talk at the moment alright, but I'm not sure I need it yet, even with a few flags. Looking at a few teams in the thread here, and I have between 6-8 players the same. Is there a need in that case? Defence/GK is the big outlier were I have none.

Botman is my only Newcastle player, and he is out of action, so I'm struggling there and Trippier is gone too expensive now. I have Pau Torres when Cash/Digne are popular. Do they balance out? Defences are not getting points this season at all really, bar a couple Newcastle & Chelsea. 1 FT could get me either of their defences starting right away, but Chelsea have awful fixtures.

My MID / FWD are similar enough. Son & Maddison. Saka. Diaby. Mbueno, who could be expendable now. Haaland, Alvarez & Watkins. I have no way of getting to Salah, unless I sell Haaland. Which I am not afraid of doing, especially as he has only risen 0.1 in price. It's not like last year when he had rised 0.8 or something mad like that. (😅)

Do Salah, Watkins, Nunez, Alvarez outscore Mbueno Watkins Haaland Avarez over the next 6 GWs? if yes, then I WC, if no, I don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

On a wildcard but finding it hard to spend the money for the first time in a while. Have a much stronger squad than I'd be used to.

GK - Turner / Areola - Cheap and performing

Def - Udogie / Cash / Trippier / Estupinan / (Kabore) - 4 offering substantial attacking threat and lovely fixtures (bench Estupinan next 2)

Mid - Son / Maddison / Diaby / Bowen / Mitoma - again probably bench Mitoma next 2

Fwd - Haaland / Alvarez / Watkins

All seem in form, and likely to be invovled in high scoring games the next few. 0.5m in the bank. No Salah the obvious hole, was thinking Luis Diaz as a budget Salah in case Liverpool kick into gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,168 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Liverpool score on average 2.2 goals per game (2.4 all comps). Their attack is in gear.

But good point, instead of looking for a route to Salah, maybe Diaz can cover it. Although he doesn't really play 90 mins, but might have to for a few weeks now with Gakpo & Jota out short and medium term.

If Salah scores a hatrick this weekend, and you think crap I need him, what's your route to getting him going to look like? I would probably just have a 4.4m mid and have the extra cash in the bank and have plan for Salah. If might even come down you you have to dump Trippier - would you be ok with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Looks good on paper but it could be a selection headache every week as you'll be dropping two decent players (taking Kabore as bench fodder). Presumably with the back 4 that you have you'll probably play 4-4-2 most weeks so you're looking at dropping one of alvarez / watkins, and also one of diaby / bowen / Mitoma. I would personally have only one of Son or Maddison and perhaps keep money aside for a Salah or else get Arsenal / Liverpool midfielder. Villa are doing well but is 3 villa players too much? (In saying that my current team is absolutely awful and I cant be bothered using wildcard but need to or else give up on it!).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Thanks for the feedback gents, definitely a lot to think about.

The Salah impact on my starting XI would be (switching to 442)....

A: Burn / Estupinan / Salah

B: Trippier / Maddison / Mitoma

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭COH

Anyone else debating going Haaland-less for a couple of weeks?

My season is in sh*t and not avert to taking some risks at this stage as I'm fast losing interest. Feels like the continuation of the interest I lost last year tbh.

I'd be looking to get him back in with a FT in a couple weeks for the Bournemouth game.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭cizolin

Wildcard done with zip all left in the bank. Feedback appreciated of course :)

Will be 3/5/2 formation mainly.

Areola(Turner)

Cash, Burn, Van Der Veen (Baldock,Taylor)

Son, Salah, Madison, Bowen, Diaby

Haaland, Hojlund (Archer)

The one noticeable thing about teams being posted is how similar they are. If you have players highly owned, sure you might get high scores - but will your ranking move much? Despite money being no obstacle teams are very very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I know he's suspended this week but I'd definitely have Gordon on WC.

He's 5.6m and has 22 points from the last 3GWs and that includes two yellows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭cizolin

Fair and valid point.

Advertisement